Brasso as bore cleaning Compound??

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Brasso as bore cleaning Compound??

Post by tirths » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Brasso as bore cleaning Compound?? any opinion?

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Neither Brasso nor WD 40.
Use special bore cleaning sprays sold at most International gunshops if you have fine weapons. Otherwise a local mix of Kerosine and Coconut oil in equal parts for IOF weapons.

Parker Hale make and market a good range of gun cleaning products so do a lot of US manufacturers.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm

never use brasso mate. barsso is for putting a shine on metal. using barasso in the army in rifle is a court hearing time. it can do ruin the barrel somewhat.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Go ahead and use it. But.....only if you have a .22 lr rifle with a brass lined barrel. They did make some rim fire rifles this way to suit people with constrained budgets i the forties. A few worn out barrels also were made shootable with permanent brass tube inserts.

Cheers!!!
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:27 pm

a mixture of :
ATF(auto transmission fluid from any petrol bunk)
Acetone
paint thinner
in 1:1:1 ratio will give you Ed's red-great stuff, wont waste adjectives!IT WORKS.
Save the bandwith and forget brasso or silverex or whatever.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Brasso as bore cleaning Compound??

Post by Risala » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:50 am

That works for sure,have been using it for a couple of months,thanks to the good Doc :)
Cheers
S

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 am

And good doc what concution is available in India for shining the engraving of a fine English Gun ? This winter I do plan to put a few of my useless oderlies on task for shining the Army & Navy, Charles Lanchaster and the Hussey many an afternoon.

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:54 am

Paint thinner is turpentine?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:30 am

man oh man, the curse of the brasso is upon the forum. :twisted: :o

lets us think logicaly if brasso was that good then why is it not advertised for cleaning barrels?

brasso is metal polish.

since when do we polish inside of gun barrels?

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:38 am

Shahid, Engraving is best cleaned by you!
an overzealous person, going at it may destroy it ,unknowingly.
Get a good work bench/area, a decent light, or good sunlight, a magnifying lens with a built in light and C clamp to clamp on the work bench.Should be easily available in Dubai.
Use fine picks , syringe needles or specially ground hacksaw blades (sometimes it pays to have a swiss knife handy...the even grind on their blades and tools will ensure that the muck, if any will come out with the even pressure .)
Inspect and clean up the general work area with a solvent-kerosene will be fine on metal (amazing, the no of guns going through generations of kerosene treatment uneventfully!)
if an area of engraving is filled up with muck, use a sharp ,pointed object (like a hypodermic needle) to run through the 'groove' of the engraving, with LIGHT pressure.USE BOTH HANDS-one to support the working hand.
inspect with mag glass after each pass. This is to ensure that the stroke has been even and no sidewards/widening/ deep pressure has been applied.
After all is done, wash again with kerosene and then use tooth paste-the WHITE, non gel one is the best, (remember Forhans and Darky?) as it contains a mild abrasive.Apply and stroke in circles with the pad of the finger with even , light pressure.This will give you an idea of how the work is coming along, and ensure no uneven wear or hi/lo spots , if done using a cloth or rubber-in-cloth 'RABBIT' as used in polishing wooden furniture.
After all these are fine examples of the gun makers art and deserve a good 3-4 afternoon bonding...Good luck, have a fine time with your guns and wishing you lots of patience and raw fingers ;)
Axx
Last edited by eljefe on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:41 am

Paint thinner IS paint thinner Tirth. to reduce the thickness/ viscosity of enamel paint.Smells of alcohol and evaporates...

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:27 pm

eljefe,

In that case Acetone and paint thinner both look similar to me. Both are having same smell.

These following called as a paint thinner:

* Acetone
* Mineral spirits
* Mineral turpentine (turps)
* Wood turpentine
* Naphtha
* Toluene
* Xylene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_thinner

If I go to a hardware shop or paint shop, what should I ask?

-Tirtha

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:33 pm

Wiki was a good exposure to you about various avatars of paint thinner.
Wont make a difference to your local paint/hardware shop...
Turpentine , available here, is OILY, thinner is alcoholish, cold,evaporates, smells
Ask for enamel paint thinner, say you DONT WANT TURPENTINE!
Or go to the Duco shop selling automotive paint and get auto paint thinner-pricier, but more chance of it being the right stuff.
I got mine at the cornwer hardware shop, I live in the boondocks, and it was the right stuff- all I did was ask for thinner.

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Tinner is clear. I understand now what it is.

What about Acetone?

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 pm

for cleaning oily stains on the kitchen chimney, I used to use turpentine.. its much stronger than thinner..

Now a days i use something stronger than turpentine ..... its called pepsi.. no joking.. i have used sprite to remove metal paste stuck on my hand... it can dissolve all particulate matter on most surfaces, as long as the surface is resistant to pepsi.. to think of it we actually drink this stuff..

now comes my great suggestion.. can some one try to use a cola to clean the barrel.. please do post your experience about it. I dont have a gun to try this.. (not that I would have ever tried it)

disclaimer: the author of this post is insane. any damage to your firearms will be your own fault.
klick klack..... diskaon