What is wood grain...

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

What is wood grain...

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:03 pm

I am sorry for this kind of adolescent question but this is something which has confused me a lot and I am a firm believer in “stupid question are those which are never asked”

So here it goes: What is wood grain.. Is it small pores on the wood or the lines on the wood, so one need to sand in the direction of these small pores or lines on the wood. If somebody can explain with pics that will be very nice

Be kind please....... :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:17 pm

kanwar76";p="38156 wrote:I am sorry for this kind of adolescent question but this is something which has confused me a lot and I am a firm believer in “stupid question are those which are never asked”

So here it goes: What is wood grain.. Is it small pores on the wood or the lines on the wood, so one need to sand in the direction of these small pores or lines on the wood. If somebody can explain with pics that will be very nice

-Inder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_grain

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: What is wood grain...

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:39 am

mundaire";p="38157 wrote:
kanwar76";p="38156 wrote:I am sorry for this kind of adolescent question but this is something which has confused me a lot and I am a firm believer in “stupid question are those which are never asked”

-Inder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_grain

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Nah Doesn't helped much but thanks anyway Abhijeet

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:27 am

Kanwar hope this answers your question:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story. ... ta/276.xml

Nitro Express
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Nitro Express » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:04 am

-Inder

Hello Inder!

Wood grain in relation to a gun butt or stock means the appreance of the wood.I hope the following link helps -

http://www.gunstocks.com

Nitro Express