shotgun stock wood

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
wildhoghunter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

shotgun stock wood

Post by wildhoghunter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 pm

I have 2 wood logs, one is from a more than 150 year old rose wood; another one is from wild cherry.cherry wood log is reddish in colour and the rose wood have strips of red and black. I want to get my shotgun re stocked. Which is the best wood for gun stock , I don't bother about the weight. Which one is best in terms of constructional rigidity? We have other types of woods like Gmelina arborea, teak and a fine wood locally called "HADAGA"(kaadu tega, kaatt tek). I am seeking advice from elders in this regard and please provide stock dimensions like lenght of pull, drop at heel and comb, pitch,and other details. I am 6.2 tall.
Thanks

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: shotgun stock wood

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:17 pm

The link given below is worth going through...may be of help :D
Gun Fit by Bob Spencer
home.insightbb.com/~bspen/fit.html

Briha

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:50 pm

If you want a quick answer, I don't think there is one. Consider this from Wikipedia:
While walnut is the favored gunstock wood, many other woods are used, including maple, myrtle, birch, and mesquite. In making stocks from solid wood, one must take into account the natural properties and variability of woods. The grain of the wood determines the strength, and the grain should flow through the wrist of the stock and out the toe; having the grain perpendicular to these areas weakens the stock considerably.

In addition to the type of wood, how it is treated can have a significant impact on its properties. Wood for gunstocks should be slowly dried, to prevent grain collapse and splitting, and also to preserve the natural color of the wood; custom stockmakers will buy blanks that have been dried two to three years and then dry it for several additional years before working it into a stock.
(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_(firearms))

So the first thing you need to consider is the way the grain flows through the wrist and pistol grip (if there is one). Check out the way the grain flows in the example on this page: http://www.burlsandmore.com/main_display_22.php?id=78

The next thing to consider is aging the wood, and that means you aren't going to be able to go out, cut the tree down, and start whittling away at the wood for a gunstock in the near future. If the wood is old and well-seasoned, then you might be able to use it. You will need a bandsaw to cut the log into a slab (chosen to get the sort of grain orientation to make sure the stock is strong enough).

Rosewood is nice-looking but is heavy. Cherry has been used for gunstocks and, from off of the top of my head, would be the first choice. The thing is, there are all sorts of regional variations of wood, like species and subspecies. Your cherry wood and what I'm thinking of might be different, so I'm not sure what would be more or less suitable in an individual instance. I think you are in for some studying if you want good results.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

wildhoghunter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by wildhoghunter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:48 am

timmy wrote:If you want a quick answer, I don't think there is one. Consider this from Wikipedia:
While walnut is the favored gunstock wood, many other woods are used, including maple, myrtle, birch, and mesquite. In making stocks from solid wood, one must take into account the natural properties and variability of woods. The grain of the wood determines the strength, and the grain should flow through the wrist of the stock and out the toe; having the grain perpendicular to these areas weakens the stock considerably.

In addition to the type of wood, how it is treated can have a significant impact on its properties. Wood for gunstocks should be slowly dried, to prevent grain collapse and splitting, and also to preserve the natural color of the wood; custom stockmakers will buy blanks that have been dried two to three years and then dry it for several additional years before working it into a stock.
(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_(firearms))

So the first thing you need to consider is the way the grain flows through the wrist and pistol grip (if there is one). Check out the way the grain flows in the example on this page: http://www.burlsandmore.com/main_display_22.php?id=78

The next thing to consider is aging the wood, and that means you aren't going to be able to go out, cut the tree down, and start whittling away at the wood for a gunstock in the near future. If the wood is old and well-seasoned, then you might be able to use it. You will need a bandsaw to cut the log into a slab (chosen to get the sort of grain orientation to make sure the stock is strong enough).

Rosewood is nice-looking but is heavy. Cherry has been used for gunstocks and, from off of the top of my head, would be the first choice. The thing is, there are all sorts of regional variations of wood, like species and subspecies. Your cherry wood and what I'm thinking of might be different, so I'm not sure what would be more or less suitable in an individual instance. I think you are in for some studying if you want good results.
Thanks for the advice sir
About the rose wood log, the tree died itself and stood in the plantation for a period of 20 years or so.it was a huge tree, felled 12 years before.a log 5 feet in length is stored in the shed after that. I am not sure of grains running. I will get inspected that log by a local gun Smith. I have seen some shotgun stocks made out of rosewood. Some are fine and some are split.if it is depending on grain run , then it is better to call a local gunsmith or a skilled carpenter I think.
Thanks again

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi There,

One can use seasoned rosewood. I bit bulky though...but, the finish comes out very well. Seen a couple of shotguns restocked with roes wood and the stocks are doing fine. My two cents better to go to a gunsmith than a carpenter.

Best,
Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

wildhoghunter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by wildhoghunter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:52 pm

hellfire_m16 wrote:Hi There,

One can use seasoned rosewood. I bit bulky though...but, the finish comes out very well. Seen a couple of shotguns restocked with roes wood and the stocks are doing fine. My two cents better to go to a gunsmith than a carpenter.

Best,
Vinayaka
Thanks vinayak
You are right, I have to.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:30 pm

wildhoghunter wrote: I am seeking advice from elders in this regard and please provide stock dimensions like lenght of pull, drop at heel and comb, pitch,and other details. I am 6.2 tall. Thanks
Height alone does not determine LOP. Length of your arms, padding(read muscle and fat and normal clothing) on your shoulder are factored in too.Likewise, your eye dominance also needs to be established. As far as I know, Marc/Cauvery Cowboy on IFG is the one who is closest to you who can actually fit a stock and have it made too.He lives in Hyderabad. You can try sending him a PM.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."