30.06 IOF Rifle Cartridges getting badly scratched

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

30.06 IOF Rifle Cartridges getting badly scratched

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi all,

I have an original 5 round magazine for my 30.06 IOF rifle. When it was new (About 6 months ago) it was very difficult to load 5 rounds in the magazine.But after a lot of cleaning and lubrication it now takes the 5 rounds easily enough though the last round is still a little hard to feed.
I load the magazine when I carry it around with me and empty the magazine when I park it at home. This loading and unloading of the magazine a couple of times badly scratches the shell. Kindly advise as follows.

1. Is this scratching of the shell normal?
2. Do I leave the magazine loaded and remove the magazine when I store the the gun?
3. Is it possible to somehow polish out the lip of the magazine, so that the shells do not get scratched (greasing of the lip does not work)?

Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 30.06 IOF Rifle Cartridges getting badly scratched

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:32 am

Can you please post or email me a pic of the scratched cartridge? The cases can get scratched not only from magazine lips but also from a burr or rough spot in the chamber and possibly the feed ramp. A picture will help sort out where the scratches come from. A convenient thing to do is color a shell with a permanent marker and feed that once to see where the scratches come from. Usually whatever is causing them can just be smoothed out with very fine sandpaper but as you might suspect should not be undertaken casually.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:51 am

Best guess without going further is that "You have a magazine that is designed to take only 4 cartridges.
Better to get the manufacturer's specifications and stop forcing the last round in. Leaving a loaded mag
is normal but for regular use not the forced fed mags. There could be couple things but stop doing the
first thing first, stop loading the mag, the way you are dong it now !!! \\\ Pictures would help too ///
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:56 am

“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Very valid and pertinent feedback / suggestions from Mark, Hammerhead and timmy!

There is no harm in storing fully loaded magazines separate from the firearm over long periods.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm

timmy wrote:Is this the rifle you have?

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/we ... add_30.htm
This is the picture of the older rifle with a 3 round magazine. My rifle is the newer version with a 5 round magazine.
ckkalyan wrote:Very valid and pertinent feedback / suggestions from Mark, Hammerhead and timmy!

There is no harm in storing fully loaded magazines separate from the firearm over long periods.
I am unable to get clear pictures of the scratched cartridges and will try to get them again tomorrow. But it seems that I would have to use 4 rounds only or maybe cut the spring of the magazine somehow to reduce the tension (Though, I do not know if is it wise to do something like this).
Also I would like to mention that with 5 rounds in the magazine, the first cartridge is very hard to chamber.

Regards

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:29 am

It would definitely not be wise to cut a magazine spring in order to increase magazine capacity. Just load four rounds only.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:52 am

aadhaulya wrote:Hi all,

I have an original 5 round magazine for my 30.06 IOF rifle. When it was new (About 6 months ago) it was very difficult to load 5 rounds in the magazine.But after a lot of cleaning and lubrication it now takes the 5 rounds easily enough though the last round is still a little hard to feed.
I load the magazine when I carry it around with me and empty the magazine when I park it at home. This loading and unloading of the magazine a couple of times badly scratches the shell. Kindly advise as follows.

1. Is this scratching of the shell normal?
2. Do I leave the magazine loaded and remove the magazine when I store the the gun?
3. Is it possible to somehow polish out the lip of the magazine, so that the shells do not get scratched (greasing of the lip does not work)?

Regards
Aadhaulya,
what is the year of make?2010 model has 3 round magzine.
regards
dr.jk

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 pm

The IOF 3006 comes with a 5 and 3 round magazine and I have the latter. I had faced a similar situation with the feed. Opening up the lip of the magazine helped immensely- both in cycling rounds and loading the magazine. I wouldn't suggest altering the spring in anyway.

The scratches in on my winchester 150gr and S&B 180 gr were both from the lip of the magazine rubbing against the shell.

IIRC, Skeetshot has some some work on his IOF 3006 that has helped smoothening out the feeding and ejection.

Cheers,
SS

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:54 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote: what is the year of make?2010 model has 3 round magzine.
regards
dr.jk
Dear Dr.JK,

My rifle is a 2012 five round model. The pic posted by Tim from the OFB web site is a three round older version. Though I like this version as it looks sleek with the short magazine. I have been looking around for one of these magazines.

SS wrote:The IOF 3006 comes with a 5 and 3 round magazine and I have the latter. I had faced a similar situation with the feed. Opening up the lip of the magazine helped immensely- both in cycling rounds and loading the magazine. I wouldn't suggest altering the spring in anyway.

The scratches in on my winchester 150gr and S&B 180 gr were both from the lip of the magazine rubbing against the shell.

IIRC, Skeetshot has some some work on his IOF 3006 that has helped smoothening out the feeding and ejection.

Cheers,
SS
The photograph of my five round magazine is as follows.

I think that I will live with four rounds in the magazine, till I find a spare magazine. Then maybe I will experement with the magazine and probably screw it up in the process.

Regards

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:04 pm

Aadhualya, is that scope mounted on an 11mm dovetail? If that is the case i'd suggest get warne base and mounts. Those dovetail mounts wont last too long considering the recoil of the 3006.

Here's my setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:12 pm

SS, can you please suggest a link for buying this stuff. I have fixed it on the original 11mm dovetail of the rifle.
Can you also please let me know the damage that could be caused due to the recoil.

Regards

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:21 pm

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 60#p199278

The 11mm dovetail is meant for low recoiling rifles like the .22. The IOF 3006 kicks like a horse and the scope is likely to lose zero very quickly and possibly come off too. I had got the 11mm rings and a nikon prostaff rimfire scope when i had planned to buy the .22. Had to store them both since they wouldn't have lasted 50 rounds on the 3006. The aluminium reciever while reducing weight makes it recoil like a tank shell.

Cheers,
SS

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:37 am

@SS, The original mounting that came with the scope was a bigger dovetail (about 15mm) and I had mounted it with the similar pads and smaller screws as you mentioned. But that placed the scope a little higher than the rifle and was not very comfortable to use. I would probable need high cheek pads for that scope and I do not want to make changes to the stock as I find the original one good enough, look wise. Photograph attached.

Regards