Trigger Replacement

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
scorpio2007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Trigger Replacement

Post by scorpio2007 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:05 am

Hello,

Need guidance from you all. I have bought ESA 75 model AR a few years back and have been using it primarily for practice. However, the trigger is so very hard and it requires mammoth effort to shoot. As a result, the fingers become soar after a few shots plus I always end up missing the target. I tried the Precihole AR a couple of weeks back and I was so delighted to see how effortless it is to shoot as the trigger was feather touch.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can the trigger be corrected? Is it because, some internal mechanisms are not 'filed' or 'oiled' properly?
2. Can the springer be replaced with a nitro version so that loading is and shooting is effortless?
3. Where can I address the above two issues? I live in Saligramam, Chennai and not aware of anyone who can do this. I dont want to contact some dealers on my own who have no business ethics so I end up losing more money for the job. Any help or good reference is really appreciated.

Is my assumption that hard trigger mechanism no relevance to replacing the springer, right? Even if I replace the springer, if trigger is not fixed, I would still end up with the same mess. Is that correct?

Thanks for taking time to respond.
Thanks
/Prabu

For Advertising mail webmaster
moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Trigger Replacement

Post by moulindu » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Prabhu
compression chamber & trigger unit are two different aspects of AR. Unless both of them are smooth the experience wont be satisfying. If the internals of the compression chamber is fine but the trigger is gritty as you mentioned the accuracy wont be good as most of the effort will be concentrated on the trigger itself. On the other hand if the trigger is smooth & the internals are scrappy then the trigger may break clean but the internals will spoil the shot. I tuned a Daws 65 air rifle for my friend & got down the trigger pull weight to 1200gm & it shoots even better than my IHP nw ( though i have installed customized kit from TTI in my IHP). I was helped by Basuda who is very knowledgeable in tuning trigger (or reducing the pull weight). Fistly i made an impression of both sears on a piece of paper, this was used as reference point, if am mistaken in reducing the angle of sear too much, then i can get back to the original angles. I am guessing if the trigger material is like Daws then its very easy to work on. try to smoothen the sears of the trigger & the piston with 600 or more grit paper & give it mirror finish, then use good moly paste. While reducing the sears you have be careful that the contact should be good enough not to cause accidental fire. i even cut down 2 coils of the trigger spring which made the pull smoother. Now its one hell of a trigger. There is a member named Sathya Sniper from Chennai, try to contact him, as he can help you. In the end I want to say that this is a trial & error method, sometimes it may click sometimes it doesnt, if you are confident & have the right tools go for it mate, you will enjoy it.
regards Moulindu

scorpio2007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by scorpio2007 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks moulindu. This is encouraging. I am certainly not confident about doing this myself as I have no knowledge in inner workings other than watching a few youtube disassembly videos :-) I will try to contact Sathya as you mentioned. In anycase, my Precihole Polaris is about to reach me tomorrow and I will be more confident in getting the first one fixed. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Thanks
/Prabu

scorpio2007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by scorpio2007 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Quick update.

Thanks to moulindu for the point of contact. I spoke to Sathya (sathya.sniper) and unfortunately he is from Tuticorin and not from Chennai. However, he referred me to Ramkumar from Kanchipuram (ramtiger) and I fixed up an appointment with him today and drove down 75kms to meet him. That was indeed a great decision as we discussed a lot of stuff while he fixed (filed the sear) the trigger and now it is definitely light and usable. I could also test the grouping of my Precihole and overall an happy guy today :-)
Thanks
/Prabu

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:48 pm

Not all those wander , are lost...............

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Pl.note that all the piston sears are not oil hardened.
Oil hardened sear will always release much smoothly than non-hardened one.
While giving the angle to sear..... do not cross 95 degree .........(only experience can take you upto 97 degree)
In case the pull is too soft or less than 1400 gms ...then load the gun by holding the butt under arm till you are satisfied that it does not cause accidental fire.
If angle is overdone.............reverse the angle to 94 or 93 or 92 degree.....the chance of accidental fire will dwindle.
Give mirror finish to both interfaces , the piston sear and trigger sear to the maximum ....generally 370+ grits good enough to give nice finish.
You will discover a whole new gun in terms of accuracy but to make it excellent one ...you need to tune it as Moulindu has suggested..
Please follow my experience...
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22529

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21043

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............