Help needed to mount bipod on Precihole nx100

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Help needed to mount bipod on Precihole nx100

Post by kshitij » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:05 am

Hi Guys,

Needed some advice/help to mount a bipod to the stock of my Precihole.
The bipod is a stoney point swivel head one with a flat area on the top of the head to mount it to the rifle. The problem is that the precihole has no provision to mount anything to the base of the stock.
I would like to mount it like this but about 5 inches away from the trigger http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240 ... -18-in.jpg
I need to know if a hole can be drilled to the base of the stock and then manually thread it to accept bolt?
If yes, what depth can I safely drill to?

Cheers
Kshitij
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Help needed to mount bipod on Precihole nx100

Post by brihacharan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:31 am

kshitij wrote:Hi Guys,

Needed some advice/help to mount a bipod to the stock of my Precihole. The bipod is a stoney point swivel head one with a flat area on the top of the head to mount it to the rifle. The problem is that the precihole has no provision to mount anything to the base of the stock.
I would like to mount it like this but about 5 inches away from the trigger http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240 ... -18-in.jpg I need to know if a hole can be drilled to the base of the stock and then manually thread it to accept bolt?
If yes, what depth can I safely drill to?
Cheers
Kshitij
Hi Kshitij,

> Take a square or rectangular piece of steel suitable to the width of your AR (where you intend to fix the bi-pod)
> Its thickness could be approx. 5mm - Now drill a hole & tap whose size should fit the size of the screw on the bi-pod & fix it to the stock with Araldite...
> The position of this adapter can be as per the image you have sent in your post....
> Simple & Easy isn't it?
> When not in use just un-screw the bi-pod & put it away!!!!
Briha

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:54 am

Briha,

Since it is a break barrel, wouldn't the cocking arm get inside the gap towards the fore end of the stock while cocking? Hope i'm not missing anything obvious here.

If the mount is positioned as shown in the pic, cocking would be impossible in a break barrel. But it can be done by fixing it further back at a sweetspot.

Another way is to separate the bipod legs & fixing to both sides of the reinforced stock fore end[Checkout the 2nd last post in link below]. I'm toying with that thought for mine.

There are some more ideas in this link.
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.com/airguns ... ic=19294.0
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:42 am

@briha,
thanks for the idea! i was focusing on a way to directly screw the bipod on to the rifle and hence was thinking if it was a good idea to drill the synthetic stock.
but now you have given me a better idea, rather than making a plate to be stuck on to the rifle and then screw the bipod to it, i will get a 'C' bracket made which will get screwed on to the bipod head. I'll guess will make it more convenient to use the bipod with multiple rifle without having to stick or screw anything on any of the rifles.

@estousandy, i do not intend to position the mount as show in the pic. i have also mentioned that it will be placed about 5 inches further from the trigger. this will not foul with the cocking of the rifle.

thanks for the help guys.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Kshitij, i was responding to Briha on that fore end positioning part.

5 inches from the trigger IS the sweetspot. I did the same on mine once, but removed since it looked awkward & unbalanced.

C or U shaped bracket fits too but then it would be a separate piece & will not have the cool factor of a sniper look. If it works for you, then no problem.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi Kshitij,

> I had posted long ago about modifying the Bi-Pod to suit my Precihole NX100.... See below....
My Modified Bi-Pod -DIY to the Rescue!!!

As we all know, a decent ‘Gun Rest’ for ARs is not worth mail ordering, nor do local Arms Dealers stock one. Getting one made through DIY is possible, but it’s a daunting task. Most AR shooters known to me use a home-made bean bags instead!

As for me I thought a Bi-Pod would be a good alternative, easy to carry & functional. So I went about acquiring one through the kind courtesy of a friend who went to the US on a business trip. My request to him was to get me a Bi-Pod – preferably a UTG brand.

It finally arrived, but my enthusiasm was deflated when I realized that it could not be fixed on to an Air Rifle – the reason being that the fore-end of ARs have a slot to facilitate cocking and hence there was no way to screw on the Bi-Pod in the fore-end of my AR.

An alternative was to fix it on to the barrel – this did not appeal to me as it would scratch & ruin the barrel’s bluing.

However a bit of imagination & innovation came to my rescue! So I set about designing a fixture & made a wooden bracket to size, painted it black & lined the inner surfaces with 5mm thick rubber sheets cut to size & epoxy glued on a 10mm x 10mm x 4mm metal strip at its bottom, which the clamp in the Bi-Pod could hold.

Presto! The Bi-Pod’s clamp held the metal strip snugly – Now all I had to do was place the fore-end of my AR within the rubber lined bracket - the rubber lining provided the fore-end a firm grip & a cushioned rest.

It was a very satisfying & fun loaded DIY experience!!!

Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 pm

@estousandy, the cool factor of the sniper look is very appealing :D but i would like to use it with my other rifle too.
the other rifle being a diana p1000 with a wooden stock, it doesnt really gel well with a black aluminum bipod sticking out from it :P . so i would prefer something that is not a permanent attchment.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Kshitij,

> I had posted long ago about modifying the Bi-Pod to suit my Precihole NX100.... See below....
My Modified Bi-Pod -DIY to the Rescue!!!

As we all know, a decent ‘Gun Rest’ for ARs is not worth mail ordering, nor do local Arms Dealers stock one. Getting one made through DIY is possible, but it’s a daunting task. Most AR shooters known to me use a home-made bean bags instead!

As for me I thought a Bi-Pod would be a good alternative, easy to carry & functional. So I went about acquiring one through the kind courtesy of a friend who went to the US on a business trip. My request to him was to get me a Bi-Pod – preferably a UTG brand.

It finally arrived, but my enthusiasm was deflated when I realized that it could not be fixed on to an Air Rifle – the reason being that the fore-end of ARs have a slot to facilitate cocking and hence there was no way to screw on the Bi-Pod in the fore-end of my AR.

An alternative was to fix it on to the barrel – this did not appeal to me as it would scratch & ruin the barrel’s bluing.

However a bit of imagination & innovation came to my rescue! So I set about designing a fixture & made a wooden bracket to size, painted it black & lined the inner surfaces with 5mm thick rubber sheets cut to size & epoxy glued on a 10mm x 10mm x 4mm metal strip at its bottom, which the clamp in the Bi-Pod could hold.

Presto! The Bi-Pod’s clamp held the metal strip snugly – Now all I had to do was place the fore-end of my AR within the rubber lined bracket - the rubber lining provided the fore-end a firm grip & a cushioned rest.

It was a very satisfying & fun loaded DIY experience!!!
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Briha
Sirji,
thats exactly like what i was planning to do! have a small in-house fabrication set up, so making the brackets to suit the purpose isnt going to be too difficult.
pardon me, but rubber lining the bracket is another idea i am gonna steal :P
thanks a ton once again.

cheers,
kshitij
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Kshitij!

> Since I am not holding any patent - You are most welcome to "Steal" my idea of rubber lining the bracket ROTFL ROTFL
> Enjoy your shooting...
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 pm

:P
What muzzle break is that on your rifle and how is it?
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:58 pm

kshitij wrote::P
What muzzle break is that on your rifle and how is it?
> The muzzle break was procured from M/s. Target Tune a long time ago...
> It provides leverage to easy cocking and enhances barrel harmonics...
Briha

varunllb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by varunllb » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:32 pm

@ briha ji can you tell what scope is this where did u get that
http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/briha ... 3.jpg.html
what is the model, make, price

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:21 pm

varunllb wrote:@ briha ji can you tell what scope is this where did u get that
http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/briha ... 3.jpg.html
what is the model, make, price
> The scope you're referring to is a "Centerpoint" 2-7 x 32 variable with illuminated reticles, mounted on a Single Piece UTG Leapers Mount...
> Fellow IFGian Rijo Joseph helped me in procuring it.
Briha

varunllb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by varunllb » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:07 pm

@ BRIHA JI 1st thanks for ur valuable reply
i think that gun is nx1oo scorpius
i need to know whether the "Centerpoint" 2-7 x 32 scope perfectly fits the nx100 or u made some alteration to fit
and one thing have u changed the stock

varun

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:53 pm

varunllb wrote: @ BRIHA JI 1st thanks for ur valuable reply
i think that gun is nx1oo scorpius
i need to know whether the "Centerpoint" 2-7 x 32 scope perfectly fits the nx100 or u made some alteration to fit
and one thing have u changed the stock
varun
Hi Varun,
1. Yes! The AR is indeed NX100 Scorpius....
2. The Centerpoint 2-7 x 32 Variable scope fits perfectly in the 11mm groove provided on its receiver - no changes / alterations were made....
3. Yes! I did get a wood finish done on the original black synthetic stock on my own initiative....
> BTW Precihole offers similar wood finish on its ARs....
Briha