Cheap Scope- issues-Solutions

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Cheap Scope- issues-Solutions

Post by Basu » Sun May 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Some cheap scopes do have common problem.

1) After fow hundred shots , the objective lens get loose.
2) After every 60-70 shots ,one need to zero again.

If one buys such cheap scope , to make it working properly , one need to do following.

Just on arrival , use araldite on the periphery on the objective lens so the it sticks well with body of the scope. One needs to be very careful so that araldite does not touch the main part of lens and let it cure for 24 hours.

Turret is the big issue for cheap scopes ,with every shot it tend to unscrew itself and thus loosing zeroing.
In ordes to stop that ,one can take out the tunnet screw along with the spring. This spring can be replaced by harder spring or the spring can be pulled to increase its length so that when compressed , it retains more recoil power
This will stop the habitual unscrewing of tunnet.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

For Advertising mail webmaster
estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Cheap Scope- issues-Solutions

Post by estousandy » Sun May 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Where can such cheap scopes be found is the question. Whatever available for sale inside the borders in for 5-6k+, and whatever cheap available on .com sites are restricted for import. Thanks for the tip. Maybe i'll try it on my red dot someday.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun May 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Dear estousandy,
Cheap chinese scopes are in the country .
Like in Kolkata at Kiddirpur.
People got it via dealextreme , presently I have one ,which came via Tripura.
Customs tend to confiscate mostly these items ,addressed to big cities.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Sun May 18, 2014 2:25 pm

I almost ordered a 2k worth 3-9x40 on ebay, and then a friend's similar scope got confiscated & directly got a police case against him instead of any customs letter. Heard ministerial level calls had to bail him out. We both are from smaller towns. Thanks again for the lead, i'll have to look more inside then.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 19, 2014 11:09 am

> My sincere advice to all who wish to buy a scope for your air rifles is:
1. Don't buy a cheap scope - it will not last beyond 50 - 100 shots - the lenses will work loose, the cross hairs will go out of alignment & these cannot be repaired - result = throwing away the cheap scope = waste of money + frustration :roll:
2. Always invest on a AR rated scope of a reputed brand - its worth it!
3. In case your AR does not have a provision for a scope stop - then the option is to get one as indicated in the following pics & get it installed with the help of a good gun smith - Its well worth it.....
4. Remember all ARs have some vibration which tend to move the scope either forward or backward - a good scope stop is the answer to overcome this problem.

Happy Shooting!
Briha

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi

There are mounts from Sportsmach called Dampa mounts. I use to have it on my Diana 52, though It was very tame with Venom kit in it but I still had a springer rated scope on it and used same mounts as an added insurance. No POI shift or zero loss ever.

I have another Diana 52 now which I am going to scope with same combination of scope and mounts. I was planning to put Beeman 5040 one piece mounts on it but decoded to play safe and ordered another Dampa. Its pricey at 60quids but then its not easy to get scopes in INDIA and even abroad good scopes are getting costlier.

Did a bit of research this time before ordering and some guy even had a cheap Tasco scope on HW80 with same mounts. Mind you HW80 is a Magnum springer and if a cheapo Tasco can survive in it then anything can survive on Indian airguns...

So bottom line is invest in good mount. If I were you I will not look at anything apart from Dampa, if I am not able to get a good scope.

2 paisa.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 19, 2014 2:10 pm

kanwar76 wrote: Hi
So bottom line is invest in good mount. If I were you I will not look at anything apart from Dampa, if I am not able to get a good scope.
:agree:
> In fact all my 3 ARs are fitted with UTG "One Piece Mount" - Very similar to Dampa Mounts - They are sturdy & dependable...

Briha

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Brihaji,

Does UTG have rubber bushing to dampen recoil like Dampa?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 19, 2014 2:28 pm

kanwar76 wrote: Brihaji,
-Inder
> No Inder - I'm afraid not...
> Frankly I wish I had known about 'Dampa' before I went in for UTG...
> BTW - where exactly are the rubber bushings located in the Dampa mount?
Briha

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 pm

brihacharan wrote:
kanwar76 wrote: Brihaji,
-Inder
> No Inder - I'm afraid not...
> Frankly I wish I had known about 'Dampa' before I went in for UTG...
> BTW - where exactly are the rubber bushings located in the Dampa mount?
Briha
Oh so UTG is just a single piece mount. In Dampa there are 2 o-rings below the actual rings. Please see this http://airgunz.altervista.org/Hawke_Nit ... 0_pag3.php not very accurate translation but you can get the zist from pictures.

Dampa was made for Theoben Gas rams by Sportsmac and if they can help a scope surviving on Gas ram I am sure they will be able to help for springers.

-Inder

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Inder,
> Thanks buddy for the link....
> The text was in Spanish - but hit the translation button & got it in English :D
> Yes! It was specially designed for the Theoben Gas Ram ARs & very ingeniously done too... but definitely costlier than the UTG
> Nevertheless - I wish I had know about them earlier...
Cheers!!!
Briha

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Inder,
> The Dampa Mount got me so excited that I did some further research & came up with this....

> The 2 Rubber Bushings one can notice in the picture (below the front & rear clamps) perhaps extend below to rest on top of the receiver / scope rail to ensure proper gripping of the scope....thus preventing the scope from moving back / forth when the AR is fired...
> Quite an ingenious adaptation by Theoben....
Briha

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Mon May 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Dampa is ingenious indeed, but "Even the Dampa mount has a limited usefull life as the rubber bushings tend to compress over time" can be an issue for heavier scopes with bigtime use.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/184474/t ... oil+mount-

Found something else too on further digging.

http://www.ferraioli.com/catalogo/1170- ... -25-mm.asp
http://www.diana-airguns.de/fileadmin/p ... YE_eng.pdf

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:09 pm

estousandy wrote:Dampa is ingenious indeed, but "Even the Dampa mount has a limited usefull life as the rubber bushings tend to compress over time" can be an issue for heavier scopes with bigtime use.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/184474/t ... oil+mount-

Found something else too on further digging.
[ Image ]

http://www.ferraioli.com/catalogo/1170- ... -25-mm.asp
http://www.diana-airguns.de/fileadmin/p ... YE_eng.pdf

What is bigtime use? Do few thousands pellets fall n that category? Though I dd not face that problem but even if that problem is there, I don't think changing easily available o-rings is a big problem.

-Inder

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Mon May 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Well, that clears up the air. Whatever quoted above was based on the online data.

But considering the price point(7-8k on ebay) at which these mounts sell, the above two solutions will be economical only with higher end scopes.

If one buys such cheap scope, a cheap single mount & araldite job should give just enough joy for a while.