How to keep AR bore/calibre rust free ?

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

How to keep AR bore/calibre rust free ?

Post by Basu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Since the time SDB 45 added to my collection , my National-25 and other Local-35 have gone silent.
I oil all three guns on weekly basis , but I do not do anything for keeping the bores rust free.
Hope to hear some advices from forum members.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

For Advertising mail webmaster
Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: How to keep AR bore/calibre rust free ?

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi Basu,
I shoot a couple of pellets at least every other day. This helps prevent rust. In case of an extended break, i used to use G Smith oil wads and leave the rifle till i come back. Now-a-days i use a wad dipped in WD 40 and push it through using a barrel rod. The use of the later has been debated before but works great for me.
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 81#p203781

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 pm

The surest way to keep air rifle barrels from catching rust when not in use for long durations is to:

1. Depending on the calibre 0.177 or 0.22 - pass a 'pull through' moistened with WD40 or any good Gun Oil a few times through the barrel...
(Pull Through is available with most gun dealers) This is OK for ARs whose barrels are not fouled with lead when the pellet passes through them when the gun is fired.

2. If there is lead fouluing then - clean the barrel with a brass wire brush (available with gun dealers) - after one or two passes see if any residue lead is still adhering to the grooves inside the barrel. If so repeat the procedure till all lead deposits are removed. After this follow with application of gun oil.

> Brass is a softer metal than steel so dont worry about your ARs barrel's insides getting damaged.

> Do not store your ARs in canvas / rexin 0r leather cases when not in use...
> Rub the outsides (all metal parts) with a soft cloth lightly moistened with a good oil & put the AR inside a plastic sleeve (It would be better if a few holes are punctured on the plastic sleeve to avoid an moisture being trapped inside which may condense with changing atmospheric temperatures and cause rusting)

Briha

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks BD & Briha ,
Thanks , indeed ......

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

thunderbird1
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thunderbird1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:01 pm

If it is desired to keep air gun inside an air tight enclosure ( for long duration) rusting can be avoided by silica gel. This is the substance inside the small pouches found in tablet boxes, electronic equipment boxes etc ( often with a warning :''do not swallow"'}. Open two such pouches, roast the granules over a slow flame in a spoon. Once it turns into blue colour it can be assumed that all moisture is given out. Pour this into the cover containing gun and seal it tightly..
This will absorb all moisture inside and the gun will be rust free for a long time ( I have stored guns like this up to six months)

Roland
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Roland » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Rangoon oil,
olive oil,
wax, engine oil, snake oil, frog lube,lithium grease, etc, etc, etc .....the list never ends!

Tried a lot of them but if RUST protection is the prime objective there is nothing like Eezox out there!!!

tirador
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tirador » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Found this on eBay Supermoly Premium MoS2 Grease for Air Gun/Rifle/Pistol Protection
For High Anti-friction Properties and Rust Protection.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/141218903169?ssP ... 1555.l2649