Polishing compression chamber with flap wheel

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Polishing compression chamber with flap wheel

Post by pratik_mahale » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:58 am

Recently I brought a mini bench grinder with flexible shaft & I thought of using this shaft to polish the compression chamber of my IHP 35 so I made three flap wheels with 80,120 & 400 grit sanding paper
DIY Flap Wheel -1.jpg
First I cut 5 strips of Sanding paper 4 cm long
Pasted it on dremel sanding band in clock wise direction

Then I polished my IHP 35 compression chamber first with 80 then 120 & finally with 400 grit flap wheel
DIY Flap Wheel -2.jpg
I also carefully polished the trigger with my DIY Belt Sander & now the trigger pull is around 1.5 Kg

Here is a link for making a simpler flap wheel for drill machine
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-yo ... lap-wheel/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Polishing compression chamber with flap wheel

Post by brihacharan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 am

pratik_mahale wrote:Recently I brought a mini bench grinder with flexible shaft & I thought of using this shaft to polish the compression chamber of my IHP 35 so I made three flap wheels with 80,120 & 400 grit sanding paper
DIY Flap Wheel -1.jpg
First I cut 5 strips of Sanding paper 4 cm long
Pasted it on dremel sanding band in clock wise direction

Then I polished my IHP 35 compression chamber first with 80 then 120 & finally with 400 grit flap wheel
DIY Flap Wheel -2.jpg
I also carefully polished the trigger with my DIY Belt Sander & now the trigger pull is around 1.5 Kg

Here is a link for making a simpler flap wheel for drill machine
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-yo ... lap-wheel/
Hi Pratik,
> Excellent & innovative adaptation on a flexible shaft for internal grinding / polishing & buffing :D
> But remember that "Too Smooth" an internal of a receiver is not preferable - The reason being the surface will not retain lube for longer periods.
> What is required is "Uniformity" of bore all throughout - A 200 grit is ideal as this leave very tiny crevices within which the lube gets retained + the flexibility of the synthetic seal will adapt itself to these = result increase in compression efficiency :D
> Well done!!!!
Briha

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Good idea !!
I think cloth grit can only withstand the high RPM.
I am very keen to know the result.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Dear Pratik,
Please be careful when you polish the trigger innards. You do not want the sear to be too smooth. :-) You should get the Innovator of the Month Award. :cheers:
regs
A.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:41 pm

airgun_novice wrote:Dear Pratik,
Please be careful when you polish the trigger innards. You do not want the sear to be too smooth. :-) You should get the Innovator of the Month Award. :cheers:
regs
A.
Thanks AGN

Baus you are right

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:43 am

Pratik Mahale you are giving me ideas.

If you buff out the inside of the compression chamber by 0.6 to 1 mm (0.3 to 0.5 mm all around), the internal volume of the chamber may increase by about 5-8% assuming a stroke volume of 54 cc. That could give a significant increase in power - although the piston would have a lot of play. Perhaps the play could be controlled by suitably sized rings.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:40 pm

airgun_novice wrote:Dear Pratik,
regs
A.
> Too smooth trigger sears can cause AUTO FIRE which is "Dangerous" especially in springers - where the pressure of the compressed spring directly rests on the trigger sear - Whereas in PCPs its on the Valve which needs only very little pressure to open it to let the stored compressed air pass through the transfer port.
> AGN - thanks for putting it so succinctly ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:40 pm

excellent DIY for internal polisher

sathya.sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathya.sniper » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:38 pm

bennedose wrote:Pratik Mahale you are giving me ideas.

If you buff out the inside of the compression chamber by 0.6 to 1 mm (0.3 to 0.5 mm all around), the internal volume of the chamber may increase by about 5-8% assuming a stroke volume of 54 cc. That could give a significant increase in power - although the piston would have a lot of play. Perhaps the play could be controlled by suitably sized rings.

i have small doubt regarding this function, If we need to add a ring to the side of the piston we might need a slit/a small place machined on the piston inorder to fit the O-ring around the piston but in our IHP piston there is not much thickness for making a slit for adding a Oring isnt it I think the piston must be thicker.
Is my question right ?

-Sathya

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi
Good work Pratikji, I tried a similar job of polishing the compression chamber using a hand drill. I installed a stick(as spindle) & paste a 200 grit sand paper on the end of it. But i was concerned with the centering of the spindle as non centered spindle will non-uniformly polish the compression chamber which may be more harmful.
Regards Moulindu