Blueing

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Blueing

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Guys, if you are concerned about selenium, I can do the bluing for you. You supply the gun (obviously!!), and the bluing solution. My fees is only a few shots from the gun (only airguns, please!) and 5% cut from the bluing solution.

With > 10 cigarettes per day for last 25 years, I am not worried about piddly selenium!!

Also, in India we have had lead pipes for drinking water till a few decades back, I don't remember any of my parents' generation dying of Pb poisoning! Now we listen to people for whom a concentration of lead amounting to less than 3 decimal places in the eyes of a Barbie doll is life threatening!!! California being so anti-RKBA..................!!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:28 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Guys, if you are concerned about selenium, I can do the bluing for you. You supply the gun (obviously!!), and the bluing solution. My fees is only a few shots from the gun (only airguns, please!) and 5% cut from the bluing solution.

With > 10 cigarettes per day for last 25 years, I am not worried about piddly selenium!!

Also, in India we have had lead pipes for drinking water till a few decades back, I don't remember any of my parents' generation dying of Pb poisoning! Now we listen to people for whom a concentration of lead amounting to less than 3 decimal places in the eyes of a Barbie doll is life threatening!!! California being so anti-RKBA..................!!!
ROTFL

I wish I had thought of saying that.

essdee Selenium is an essential ingredient and is needed by the human body in trace quantities. There is some data connecting low selenium levels with cancer - but nothing certain. Selenium is linked with preventing cancer, not causing cancer (see link below) - but the role is uncertain. Maybe Selenium will go well as an antidote to cigarettes? LOL!

Only Selenium sulphide has been shown to have a cancer potential in experimental animals. In the US a lawyer will sue your ass off unles you warn people. I know of a lad (in the US) who sued his mother for taking an antibiotic in pregnancy that causes yellowing of teeth in the child.

Selenium deficiency can occur.

Here is some info about dietary sources and supplements of Selenium
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Seleni ... fessional/

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Bowman,
> Your poetic eloquence in describing "the process of bluing" has elevated my soul to the realms of "Nirvana" :D
> Here is my true confession - Bluing my guns to me is like giving a bath to my babies - Simply love doing it :D
> After that I talk to them & thank them for the glorious moments we spent together --- sometimes even on a sleepless night I get up & open the gun case to look & touch them....
> The sleep I get thereafter is pure bliss :D
:cheers:
Briha
Thanks Brihaji only a true connoisseur can spot another...

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 am

hi friends,
i was too bored and thought of keeping myself busy.'rust bluing' was my option.i am posting some pictures as i keep bluing.hope you all enjoy.
regards
dr.jk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi Doc,

Seems the DIY bug is sparing none :D Great going. Saw you are using a handheld machine to polish the steel. What is the head ?

Cheers
TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:16 pm

TC wrote: Hi Doc,
Seems the DIY bug is sparing none :D Great going. Saw you are using a handheld machine to polish the steel. What is the head ?
Cheers
TC
> As we all know & some of us have experienced that wet / hot process of bluing is not only time consuming but also cumbersome, not to mention the need to have big vessels for dipping the gun's components, the chemicals, fumes etc....
> Today's wipe on & wipe off applications is really a boon while the process can be accomplished just within 30 minutes....
> Ballistol Gun Blue which is now available in India & is reasonably priced ....
> All one has to do is:
1. Take the action from the stock & wipe clean to remove any existing oil / grease...
2. Use denatured / surgical spirit to fully make sure that the last remnants of oil grease are removed....
3. Give the parts a gentle rub down with 800 / 1000 grit emery paper....
4. Apply 2 to 3 coats of Ballistol with a cotton swab - allow it to work for about 20 minutes....
5. Wipe clean with dry cloth initially & subsequently with light oil soaked cloth....
> Your gun will now look as good as 'out of the box' :D
> Remember to keep your gun wiped with lightly soaked oil cloth when not in use....
> Sadly many of us overlook this aspect & cry foul when rust sets in....
> I have been using Ballistol to a great advantage for the last 3 years....
Briha

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:15 pm

TC wrote:Hi Doc,

Cheers
TC
I used a crimped wire cup brush,but didn't work well.so had to hand polish.
Brihaji,i had the equipment for rust bluing,rust bluing solution,vessel to dip de ionized water and time!! :agree:
regards
dr.jk

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:45 pm

I used a crimped wire cup brush,but didn't work well.so had to hand polish.
I suspected as much. That's why I asked you. Hand polish is the best option. Great going Doc.

:cheers:
TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm

You guys realize that pretty much everything causes cancer in California, don't you?
Next time you break wind, make sure you step across the Nevada border before you do, or else they will accuse you of "causing cancer".
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 pm

xl_target wrote:You guys realize that pretty much everything causes cancer in California, don't you?
Next time you break wind, make sure you step across the Nevada border before you do, or else they will accuse you of "causing cancer".
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:22 am

TC wrote:
xl_target wrote: You guys realize that pretty much everything causes cancer in California, don't you?
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
TC
Next time you break wind, make sure you step across the Nevada border before you do, or else.....
The guy next to you who strikes a match to light his cigarette....must be performing his 'last act' on earth ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:27 pm

After third coat,boiling in de ionized water.you see the deep blue color
regards
dr.jk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:21 pm

brihacharan wrote:
hb wrote: > Bluing is a process by which the metal parts of a Gun / Rifle are given a protective coating to prevent rusting.
> Basically there are 2 processes...
1. The wet process by which the disassembled parts are immersed in a hot bath containing chemicals - the chemicals react with the metal and form a protective coating.
2. A dry process by which the immersion is avoided - The bluing compound comes in the form of a paste or liquid that is applied to the metal parts & left for a while for the chemicals to adhere - which later is wiped off & cleaned. The main ingredient (chemical) is "Selenium Dioxide".
> In case you want to do it on your Gun / Rifle - Go for "Ballistol" Gun Blue solution that is available in India.
> You may contact:
2. in.linkedin.com/pub/ballistol-india-gun-care/39/209/a45
> Good Luck
Briha
Briha ji/ Dr. Jayakumar,

Can you please guide me on how to get the 'Bluing product' in India. The 'youtube' link is about browning. But I presume that 'browning and 'bluing' may be the same thing.
At 'Linkedin' I found the page but no contact details.
Also the link at the top of this site for 'BALLASTOL' shows no browning or bluing product.

Regards

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:51 am

aadhaulya wrote:
brihacharan wrote:
hb wrote: > Bluing is a process by which the metal parts of a Gun / Rifle are given a protective coating to prevent rusting.
> Basically there are 2 processes...
1. The wet process by which the disassembled parts are immersed in a hot bath containing chemicals - the chemicals react with the metal and form a protective coating.
2. A dry process by which the immersion is avoided - The bluing compound comes in the form of a paste or liquid that is applied to the metal parts & left for a while for the chemicals to adhere - which later is wiped off & cleaned. The main ingredient (chemical) is "Selenium Dioxide".
> In case you want to do it on your Gun / Rifle - Go for "Ballistol" Gun Blue solution that is available in India.
> You may contact:
2. in.linkedin.com/pub/ballistol-india-gun-care/39/209/a45
> Good Luck
Briha
Briha ji/ Dr. Jayakumar,

Can you please guide me on how to get the 'Bluing product' in India. The 'youtube' link is about browning. But I presume that 'browning and 'bluing' may be the same thing.
At 'Linkedin' I found the page but no contact details.
Also the link at the top of this site for 'BALLASTOL' shows no browning or bluing product.

Regards
aadhaulya,
ebay has it.http://www.ebay.com/itm/191440953762?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT.
regards
dr.jk

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am

After four coats i applied engine oil let it be for a day.i cleaned the engine oil off the gun and applied liberal amount of gun oil and its finished.
regards
dr.jk