Blueing

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
hb
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Blueing

Post by hb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:38 pm

what is blueing in guns, pistols etc
why is this type of technology used, does it have any advantages
am sure there will be other better methods of colouring / coating arms

how does it work when blueing is done to arms

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Blueing

Post by brihacharan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm

hb wrote: What is bluing in guns, pistols etc
why is this type of technology used, does it have any advantages & am sure there will be other better methods of coloring / coating arms.
How does it work when bluing is done to arms
> Bluing is a process by which the metal parts of a Gun / Rifle are given a protective coating to prevent rusting.
> Basically there are 2 processes...
1. The wet process by which the disassembled parts are immersed in a hot bath containing chemicals - the chemicals react with the metal and form a protective coating.
2. A dry process by which the immersion is avoided - The bluing compound comes in the form of a paste or liquid that is applied to the metal parts & left for a while for the chemicals to adhere - which later is wiped off & cleaned. The main ingredient (chemical) is "Selenium Dioxide".
> In case you want to do it on your Gun / Rifle - Go for "Ballistol" Gun Blue solution that is available in India.
> You may contact:
1. www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQJ-GVb5tY
2. in.linkedin.com/pub/ballistol-india-gun-care/39/209/a45
> Good Luck
Briha

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Bluing is sorcery that imparts soul to a gun. Guns that are not blued are like a physical configuration that is complete but lacks the magical touch of a sorcerer to bring the creation to full manifestation of its existence.

Bluing is also the witchery that makes many men lose their souls to the charms of a gun after being captivated by that deep and gorgeous blue-black blaze which seems to emanate from within the soul of a gun and they are doomed to worship guns forever after.

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 pm

[/quote]
The main ingredient (chemical) is "Selenium Dioxide".

Briha[/quote]

it is highly carcinogenic substance...................causing cancer

bluing is actually rusting process using special chemicals, n cover metal with oil to over doing that,

But nothing batter than hot bath process..........

M I correct Briha.............?

regards

pritam
Last edited by PRITAM PATEL on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:44 pm

BowMan wrote:Bluing is sorcery that imparts soul to a gun. Guns that are not blued are like a physical configuration that is complete but lacks the magical touch of a sorcerer to bring the creation to full manifestation of its existence.

Bluing is also the witchery that makes many men lose their souls to the charms of a gun after being captivated by that deep and gorgeous blue-black blaze which seems to emanate from within the soul of a gun and they are doomed to worship guns forever after.
Beautiful

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 pm

PRITAM PATEL wrote: it is highly carcinogenic substance...................causing cancer

regards

pritam
Pritam the only Selenium compound that has some link with cancer in experimental animals is Selenium sulphide - a constituent of the old anti-dandruff shampoo called "Selsun". No connection between Selenium dioxide and cancer as far as I know.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:53 pm

BowMan wrote:Bluing is sorcery that imparts soul to a gun. Guns that are not blued are like a physical configuration that is complete but lacks the magical touch of a sorcerer to bring the creation to full manifestation of its existence.

Lol......seductively said :lol:

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:00 am

bennedose wrote:
PRITAM PATEL wrote: it is highly carcinogenic substance...................causing cancer

regards

pritam
Pritam the only Selenium compound that has some link with cancer in experimental animals is Selenium sulphide - a constituent of the old anti-dandruff shampoo called "Selsun". No connection between Selenium dioxide and cancer as far as I know.
well at least state of California says that

my advise you dont do it your self let proff. guys do that for your loved piece

regards
Last edited by PRITAM PATEL on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 am

bennedose wrote:

regards

pritam
Not sure about that. I use Birchwood Casey and the label says WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer. Sounds quiet sarcastic towards the state of California. :)

This is mentioned in the Gun Blue and Aliminium black bottles.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 am

Big Daddy wrote:
bennedose wrote:

regards

pritam
Not sure about that. I use Birchwood Casey and the label says WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer. Sounds quiet sarcastic towards the state of California. :)

This is mentioned in the Gun Blue and Aliminium black bottles.

BD
big daddy,you only inhell 18% O2, ..........how about O3,(ozone) try once than tell all of us
it is selenium............in any form
well a friend of mine is gold medalist in oncology and censor surgeon, advised me to stay away from that thing, as well as lead pellets,
he may be over concern, but there must be sum co- relation

why one would risk his life for a piece of metal worth more than gold,
when warning is there, why you want your life at risk, when we have 1.2 bill. to that to do bluing hot process for us ( actually it is less carcinogenic)

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:01 am

hb wrote:what is blueing in guns, pistols etc
why is this type of technology used, does it have any advantages
am sure there will be other better methods of colouring / coating arms

how does it work when blueing is done to arms

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:05 am

SHOUTTIG ( I M NOT SAYING, BUT DOCTORS SAYS THAT)

STAY AWAY FROM SELENIUM IN ANY FORM(

REGARDS

PRITAM

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 am

bennedose wrote:Beautiful
Big Daddy wrote:Lol......seductively said :lol:

BD
Gentlemen prefer Blondes and also Blued Guns :wink:

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:17 pm

BowMan wrote: Bluing is sorcery that imparts soul to a gun. Guns that are not blued are like a physical configuration that is complete but lacks the magical touch of a sorcerer to bring the creation to full manifestation of its existence.

Hi Bowman,
> Your poetic eloquence in describing "the process of bluing" has elevated my soul to the realms of "Nirvana" :D
> Here is my true confession - Bluing my guns to me is like giving a bath to my babies - Simply love doing it :D
> After that I talk to them & thank them for the glorious moments we spent together --- sometimes even on a sleepless night I get up & open the gun case to look & touch them....
> The sleep I get thereafter is pure bliss :D
:cheers:
Briha

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Bennedose wrote....
:agree:

> You guys better take cognizance of what Bennedose (a surgeon by profession) & Briha (an erstwhile chemist) have opined :D
> BTW Tobacco causes cancer - Has it stopped people from smoking & chewing tobacco??????? :roll:
> Also Bluing is done once in 6 month / a year to say the least & the quantity of selenium in the bluing solution is just enough to react with steel to give a protective coating.
> Did you know that products that are sold to kill "Lice" on human scalp contain toxic pesticides??? Women & girl children use them regularly (once in 6 months)!!!
> In any case the choice is yours - to blue your guns & protect them from rusting or stay away from bluing them - but wipe them every week with mineral oil to prevent their rusting :D
Brihs