trigger position for storing guns

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
rahul0008
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

trigger position for storing guns

Post by rahul0008 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 pm

hi frnds,

in what position the trigger of a rifle or double barrel gun should be kept while storing. i mean it should be in cocked position or release position.
please guide as i think that keeping triggers/hammers cocked puts unnecessary strain on the springs and might ultimately loosen them.

gurus please guide.

i own an IOF 30-06 & an IOF 12 bore double barrel gun and an IOF .32 pistol

thanks

rahul

For Advertising mail webmaster
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: trigger position for storing guns

Post by inplainsight » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 pm

I keep all my guns in the release position. I keep snap-caps in the guns to de-cock them.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:30 am

Guns should be stored in uncocked position, unless you are expecting unknown visitors with bad intentions. With doubles that usually requires snap caps. Without, you can press the breech face against a wooden surface and pull the triggers.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:32 am

All weapons, including spring air rifles, should be stored with their trigger springs released. However, using snap caps or 'dummy cartridges' is a good idea.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.