Air rifle tuning

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
vivek16sep1969
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Air rifle tuning

Post by vivek16sep1969 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:00 am

Hi everyone
Kindly advice me regarding the maintenance of air rifles at home and the process involved,,,,,,

regards
"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything......"
-Wyatt Earp

For Advertising mail webmaster
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Air rifle tuning

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:42 pm

vivek16sep1969 wrote:Hi everyone
Kindly advice me regarding the maintenance of air rifles at home and the process involved,,,,,,

regards
Dear vivek16sep1969,

The title of the thread mentions "tuning" while the query posed therein mentions "maintenance".

From my understanding tuning refers to modifications undertaken to improve general performance of the air rifle, especially wrt speed and more so accuracy. Maintenance refers to keeping the piece in condition while in storage for limited or prolonged period, i.e. status quo and avoid deterioration due to climatic conditions.

Both the topics are discussed in this section in great details. Browsing through the topic heads ought to take you to the right thread. Good luck. :cheers:
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 pm

[quote="vivek16sep1969"]
Hi everyone

Hi Vivek,
> Tuning & Maintaining a AR are 2 different things.
> The former is a more involved process consisting of dismantling the AR - You need a Spring Compressor for it + degreasing the internals of the receiver, polishing it, changing the seal if need be, also the breech seal, adjusting the tension of the trigger, replacing any worn out parts such as spring, rear guide, top hat, washers etc etc etc.

> As for maintenance, all you need is to put a drop or two of any good branded lubricant in the spring slot, trigger housing and apply a coat of any light gun oil on the outside to prevent rusting.

> Ballistol has the necessary items which you can procure to maintain your AR. You can contact them by calling them on 01203103202 or log on to [email protected]. They are based in Delhi.
Cheers
Briha

vivek16sep1969
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vivek16sep1969 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 pm

i am obliged,,,,thanks a tonne, to both of you
:clap:
"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything......"
-Wyatt Earp

00satendra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 00satendra » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm

For any novices planning on disassembly and/or tuning of air rifle, trust me it is not that easy as it sounds.
This forum has lots of gun gurus for them its a cake walk. It is advisable to take ur AR to some Gunsmith or take tips from Briha Sir, Basu Sir, Sathya, Benedose sir etc.
Having recently purchased an Indian made AR, I was highly disappointed on shelling a fair amount and getting absolutely rubbish accuracy. I read a lot about tuning et. Al.
Finally I managed to remove the stock, had to take it to a local garage to unscrew the barrel screw (it was so tight).
The mechanic and I went on to open other elements and out came the spring (almost going through the roof).
For assembly I took it to mecahnics who work on shocker repairing, they have a tool for compressing shocker spring. With some desi jugaad, he finally managed to compress the spring etc. I went home to realize that the slot for barrel slider was misaligned. Had to repeat the procedure ,realized again that this time the trigger slot was not aligned.
It took us 2-3 repeats to get it right.
A lot of learning as they say, you cook it best when you burn your fingers.
The final version is worth all the pain. Loving it.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Rijo Joseph
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rijo Joseph » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 am

The mechanic and I went on to open other elements and out came the spring (almost going through the roof).

you and your mech. is lucky...
Sometimes if you want to get rid of the gun, you have to pick the gun up.

thorque
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by thorque » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Rijo Joseph wrote:The mechanic and I went on to open other elements and out came the spring (almost going through the roof).

you and your mech. is lucky...
Hi Rijo..this is Nitin from Bangalore and as you can notice my lack of PM privileges,am seeking a scope for my Precihole Nx100 Scorpious Karbin and have ascertained on this forum that you are the 'go to guy' for all scope related requirements. What are your recommendations and how do I get in touch with you? Thanks in anticipation :)

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Dear all IFG members, here i am sharing a book in pdf format which i found very useful , has some required information about air rifle tuning in detail.I hope some members will be benefited by reading this book.

http://www.airgunone.com/downloads/AirgunTuning.pdf
With regards,
vsraja