Rifle Stock Polishing and Gun Bluing Supply

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
prasad.tamhane
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Rifle Stock Polishing and Gun Bluing Supply

Post by prasad.tamhane » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi IFGians,

I am currently having a go at my breaking barrel air rifle and having some hands on for stock finishing and later on would like to go for bluing.

I saw in some blogs and youtube that people are using "Birchwood Casey" products for stock finishing. I was wondering if this is available in India. I have inquired at local paint shops but they do not have "Walnut Finish" stainers available with them. Also no one seem to know anything what the heck is Tru Oil.

Let me know if anyone knows where I can buy these products.

Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Rifle Stock Polishing and Gun Bluing Supply

Post by moulindu » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi Prasad
Try out airgunindia.com , they have products for gun stock finish
Thanks

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:07 pm

prasad.tamhane wrote: Hi IFGians,
I am currently having a go at my breaking barrel air rifle and having some hands on for stock finishing and later on would like to go for bluing.
I saw in some blogs and youtube that people are using "Birchwood Casey" products for stock finishing. I was wondering if this is available in India. I have inquired at local paint shops but they do not have "Walnut Finish" stainers available with them. Also no one seem to know anything what the heck is Tru Oil.
Let me know if anyone knows where I can buy these products.
Regards
Hi Prasad,
> Contact "Ballistol" - by searching thro Google - They have all the products.
> They are located in Delhi - All products are imported.
> I've used them - They are excellent.
Briha

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Prasad,
> Contact "Ballistol" - by searching thro Google - They have all the products.
> They are located in Delhi - All products are imported.
> I've used them - They are excellent.
Briha
PS: The e-mail is > [email protected]
Contact Nos: 0120 4167639 / 0120 3103202 / 91 9910444569
Good Luck :D
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:24 pm

For wooden stock sand paper of varying grits and neem & "aaLshi" oil are fine. While I didn't get the other one, neem served just fine. I did not stain my stock from what it was earlier - retained the blond patch look. But otherwise the stock is finely polished. I suppose you can add required poster colors to the oil and finely mix it before application.

Brihji had smsed me the procedure. I put on about 5 coats of neem oil after sanding (low to high grit). In short ->
sand - oil coat - dry over 12-24 hr - sand - oil coat ....

Mack The Knife has also detailed on how to fill in cracks etc. Since we did not have Mack The Knife's resources handy, SD and I improvised with kid's crayons (brown) 'melted' by wife's hair dryer. :-) Good Luck. BTW, hope you are coming to the IFG Japaloupie Meet ?

prasad.tamhane
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by prasad.tamhane » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:20 pm

airgun_novice wrote:For wooden stock sand paper of varying grits and neem & "aaLshi" oil are fine. While I didn't get the other one, neem served just fine. I did not stain my stock from what it was earlier - retained the blond patch look. But otherwise the stock is finely polished. I suppose you can add required poster colors to the oil and finely mix it before application.

Brihji had smsed me the procedure. I put on about 5 coats of neem oil after sanding (low to high grit). In short ->
sand - oil coat - dry over 12-24 hr - sand - oil coat ....

Mack The Knife has also detailed on how to fill in cracks etc. Since we did not have Mack The Knife's resources handy, SD and I improvised with kid's crayons (brown) 'melted' by wife's hair dryer. :-) Good Luck. BTW, hope you are coming to the IFG Japaloupie Meet ?
Hi, Airgun Novice, would you be able to send me some photos? If you can't post here you can send me on

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Dear Prasad, I shall get the N25 to Japaloupe so you can also "feel" it. Pix may not do justice wrt feel, texture etc. I also have an IHP 35 stock on the Chini AR purchased from Brihji. You can also take a look at it and Brihji's craftsmanship. :-) I shall snap a few and post 'em later today. Meanwhile read up on the other threads (Brihji's Samurai and Mack The Knife's shotty) on how they worked on teh stock - that would be very useful.

prasad.tamhane
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by prasad.tamhane » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Finally finished with first stock repolishing of my National .177 air rifle. This air rifle is almost two decades old and from the times when National use to import barrel (I think). I had fired for the first time after 12 years and the first shot was at 12 o'clock in 6 (when I took the aim of center - not a good practice I know). Amazingly accurate for break barrel model.

Anyways, without getting side tracked see the pictures...
https://picasaweb.google.com/prasad.nz/ ... directlink

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Beautiful. You have got the gloss like glass. :-)

prasad.tamhane
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by prasad.tamhane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Airgun_Novice.