Working on a shotgun stock..

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Working on a shotgun stock..

Post by Pritu79 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi, Finally found time on hand to work on a shot gun stock. But this time, unlike most of the times i remembered to click photos to share with you'll. Because usually i get so involved i forget to take pics at each step.....so here goes, i hope you'll apreciate them....
The company fitted stock that was on it looks as if it is in good shape, but when you look closer it has a cracked pistol grip....hence a new stock.

Cut out a good portion from a plank of American dark walnut, aligned the grains for the the straight grip so that it has good strength......started off with a rough shape, got all the dimensions in place from the owner.
After it aligned perfectly ......(lop,doc,doh), worked on the pitch and butt pad was fitted. trimmed it down to the shape i prefer...
After sanding the gorgeous wood is revealed.......still some work needs to go in the butt end which is almost finished....
will be working on the fore end tomorrow evening....will post as it progresses.

cheers

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Working on a shotgun stock..

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Wow that is some pretty figure!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 pm

That is going to be a real beauty!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:56 am

I'm glad that blank has come in handy, the layout with the burl in the end will really stand out if you do a nice hand-rubbed oil finish. Great work so far, keep it going! :mrgreen:
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:05 pm

thats lovely stock and fantastic workmanship.

Nice grain on the plank.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Pritu79,
great job ,you have a very nice hand :-)

rabepobemababe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rabepobemababe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am

Nice work!

I have gone through this thread and another one on re-doing gun stocks.

In my opinion, in the Indian scenario, for gun-stocks, Indian teak (Tectona grandis) is an all-rounder in terms of grain (teakwood from trees having a rotation period of 60 years as in Nilambur in Kerala, has a straighter grain. Longer rotation period of Central Provinces or Burmese Teak means wavy grain), availability (available all over India), workability (carpenter friendly), durability (contains natural oils which protect it from warping, cracking etc. It is not uncommon to see 200 year old teakwood furniture in beautiful shape in some parts of India), and weight (not too light, not too heavy).

Therefore, where available, exotic wood such as ebony and walnut may be used. Where such woods are not available, safest bet is teak. Sissoo or Shisham on the other hand, though strong, has a habit of splitting under pressure. Thespesia Populnea / Hibiscus populneus of Malvaceae Family (Gangaravi in Telugu and Indian Tulip Tree in English), commonly used in southern part of India for gun-stocks, is a cheap substitute, but cannot match seasoned teak in properties.

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:29 am

Hi, thank you. I will be finishing the stock this weekend, I hope.......it is an labour intensive job, esspecially in the areas around a knot. I'll post pics as it progresses. For the past week i have been searching for my checkering cutter set, but its no where to be found. finally a friend was kind enough to lend the cutter....

cheers..

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Very nice job and thanks for sharing.

Best wishes for the outcome,
Vikas

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:08 pm

wah..good work

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi, thank you. I will be finishing the stock this weekend, I hope....
So how did it turn out?
We're all curious.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20 pm

OMG you did this. This is so cool because its a skill job and man you got some skills... With the right polish and the a few coats this is going to be a beauty... Pics plz...

Pritu79
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pritu79 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Though i desperately wanted to finish the stock as i said earlier,I could not find time on the weekend. Have to tend to an urgent matter ......I'll try to finish asap and will share the details, since this kind of a job needs time on hand and patience..

cheers

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Our friend Jonah has done a fab stock job , maybe he could pass u some valuable tips and his experience.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 am

I've read about using Linseed Oil and wax to finish wood. Can the Linseed oil available at local kirana shops be used for this purpose and the wax used by wood polishers to fill in dents in veneer and wood be used for this purpose. Pardon my ignorance, what is the local hindi term for linseed oil.

Don't want to spend on BirchWood Casey's expensive gun stcok finishing oil and teh hassle to try and source it.

Thanks
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus