Cylinder Jamming trouble in .32 IOF revolver

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
sonuvecv
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Cylinder Jamming trouble in .32 IOF revolver

Post by sonuvecv » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 am

Dear fellow IFG'Ians
Good evening,Your views and advice is required as my .32 IOF revolver Mklll SAF kanpur has started malfunctioning .I had fired 18 shots in a friend's marriage but when I loaded it again and fired ,one shot missed and empty cases stuck inside the chamber so i decided to let it cool down but again after 300 minutes or empty cases were remained stuck in the chamber.So i have had to use plucker take them out forcefully ,cases were swallowed and one of the case got break,than I took it to Gunsmith in my city Gwalior who told me that this may happen because of the carbon or rust in the cylinder and he cleans it.
But since than a new problem starts its chamber stops rotating often after 2 or 3 shots and I am very much worried about it.Also some time its chamber rotates automatically I mean I have habit of leaving one place empty in the chamber but now I find it changes its place.When I went to same gunsmith he was telling me that it is because of the pin(don't know exact part name) which helps to rotate the chamber and it will cost 1500RS and 2 day for rectification of this problem.I have no problem in paying the charges but I am very much worried that whether he would be right person for this job or even for handling my revolver,My revolver is also having problem of leas shaving .Gentlemen I am not very much knowledgeble about fire arms or don't even know the terminology but guns are my passion,my love I don't have word to describe and this is my first weapon which Is the first thing I bought from my savings after getting job or Shall I go for changing the weapon.Kindly help/advice

Regards
Digvijay Singh Tomar
Gwalior
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Cylinder Jamming trouble in .32 IOF revolver

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:14 am

While I can't tell you anything about the gunsmith, what he told you seems to be correct. Rust or fouling in the chamber initially caused the rounds to stick. It also sounds like you bent the pin that the cylinder rotates on when you tried to force out the rounds that were stuck in the chamber. BTW, what is this plucker that you used to get the rounds out of the chamber?

One thing that bothers me is that maybe he didn't check it for function before he returned it to you. If he did, then is your ammo the culprit? I might be wrong but looking at the photos, it looks like all the primers are perforated. If so this is a sign of high pressure and might be why that case split. Is that just a firing pin impression in the primer or does it go all the way through?

You do know that celebratory firing in the air is very dangerous and irresponsible?

TwoRivers knows a lot more about revolvers than me. I'm sure he can answer your questions better than I can.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

sonuvecv
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sonuvecv » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks a lot sir,for replying so quickly I am eagerly waiting for it and yes sir being a member of IFG I know that celebratory firing in the air is very irresponsible,but being from Morena(Chambal),you can't help it.But I do take all the precautions which I learned from this site,and also I taught all the safety thumb rules to my friends,relatives and my brothers and sisters,(have 14 arms in my family) and thankful to all the veterns and gurus for starting such a great forum which is like Bible for people like us

, No sir this primers are perforted as i (stupiditally) keep pulling trigger and also intially did,nt understood that this misfiring is due to non rotation of the chamber so this is due to the hitting of primer more than once.. plucker is nothing but the plass(in vernecular language) which is used by electrician but i did it very cautiouslly and only for 1 case.Sir, is it possible to restore my revolver like she was earlier.or shall I buy a new one,but i don't want to do it as it is my first love(ya while i am writing these lines my wife is getting very much angry that why I am working on my Laptop its 3 am in India.)
Regards
Digvijay Singh Tomar

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:14 am

Mr. Tomar,
I just finished reading an article in todays indian express, about a young girl whose entire left side of the body is paralysed because some irresponsible person was firing in the air in a marriage.
You cant justify something like this.
Here in india, where every interested party is looking to sabotage the efforts of our community to liberalize gun control laws, people like you and doings things like firing in marriages etc brings disrepute to law abiding, responsible gun owning citizens.
Your excuse will not cut any ice with any one. Your geographical location does not give you any leeway in safe handling of firearms.
I shudder to think the risk your neighbours live in, if all 14 of those firearms are in equally irresponsible hands.
To Excellence through Diligence.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am

Just going by the pictures, there's not much to add. A pierced primer indicates pressure too high, and/or a firing pin too long. The circumferential marks abaout a third from the bottom of the cases indicates a bulge in the cylinder, or abyssmally poor chambering. Spitting lead, the revolver is no timed properly. Split case, chamber too large/case too small, pressure too high. I would think that the revolver needs at least a new cylinder, and parts involved in the timing and rotation of the cylinder. Plus a new, or shortened firing pin. It's probably bent.

This could be one scenario. Long firing/defective ammo, primer is pierced and firing pin sticks in primer and does not retract, locking the cylinder from rotation. Forceful attempts to fire again bend the pin until it releases, and bend parts involved in the timing of the cylider in the process. (If the revolver has the frame-mounted firing pin.)

I am not going to ask how you could have a rusty or carbon encrusted cylinder in a break-open revolver, and not be aware of it.

"one shot missed", do you mean misfired ?, or what. It would be difficult to miss the sky.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Since it is SAF Mark III it would be a frame mounted pin.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:57 pm

[Here in india, where every interested party is looking to sabotage the efforts of our community to liberalize gun control laws, people like you and doings things like firing in marriages etc brings disrepute to law abiding, responsible gun owning citizens.]

:agree:

And just the other day a four year old was killed in celebratory fire.
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Sirs,

@tworiver's analysis is perfect, in my opinion. Firing pin too long and hammer hitting it harder than required, causing dent in the primer and firing pin getting locked in the primer and not retracting thus obstructing the turn of cylinder and damaging the revolving mechanism.

Since it is IOF, all parts are bound to be flimsy and below standard, getting damaged easily.

I think there is no need to change the revolver, but take it to a good gunsmith, who can play with your first love and make it smooth.

On the other hand, for the celebratory fire, I denounce it. It is stupid to do so and sir you must acknowledge it.

A question arises, if a normal indian which no access to a firing range, no hunting, no jungle trips, where would he shoot ever if not in marraiges.

Remember all dont live in metros and even in metro only top guns have access to firing range which are big boys clubs.

Cheers....

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:22 pm

perfectionist1 wrote: A question arises, if a normal indian which no access to a firing range, no hunting, no jungle trips, where would he shoot ever if not in marriages ?
If I were you, after making that statement I'd run for cover ! :mrgreen:

best,
Rp.
Last edited by The Doc on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 pm

good to see you Doc.

I am already undercover.... in fact all law abiding citizen of India is undercover...cover of burden, shame, pollution, inflation, exploitation and not the least his existence.

While the goons are totting guns in your face, we are thinking to run for a cover.

I will stick to my point, where do anyone shoot safely in India.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:58 pm

perfectionist1 wrote: I will stick to my point, where do anyone shoot safely in India.
You seek opportunities and with like minded people and safe areas with adequate backstop.
A cursory browse of the website will show you multiple instances/images of IFG members shooting in safe surroundings.

Shoot safely, or do not shoot at all.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 pm

I dont think thats much of an excuse.
Just because you dont have access to a range doesnt mean you pop off rounds at marriages!!
First of all, i am pretty sure its illegal.
Dont you read stories in the papers ever so often about such incidents at marriages?
Would you be happy if the same ever happened to your loved ones at a social gathering?
If your district doesnt have a range, get one.
Varunik is an example of taking matters into your own hands and not crying about it.
You cant ascribe convenience, or the lack of it as an excuse for stupidity.
To Excellence through Diligence.

sonuvecv
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sonuvecv » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:38 am

Safarigent wrote:Mr. Tomar,
I just finished reading an article in todays indian express, about a young girl whose entire left side of the body is paralysed because some irresponsible person was firing in the air in a marriage.
You cant justify something like this.
Here in india, where every interested party is looking to sabotage the efforts of our community to liberalize gun control laws, people like you and doings things like firing in marriages etc brings disrepute to law abiding, responsible gun owning citizens.
Your excuse will not cut any ice with any one. Your geographical location does not give you any leeway in safe handling of firearms.
I shudder to think the risk your neighbours live in, if all 14 of those firearms are in equally irresponsible hands.
Dear Safarigent Sir,
You are correct ,I realize my mistake.I am not trying to justify it but being from Rajput family where it is a tradition(Tradition which required to be changed),and traditions can be changed slowly.I tried to induce the basic gun safety rule to every body in family and friends and specially If somebody is drunk i never let them even holding the gun.
This is the culture i learn from IFG but yes it is irresponsible and dangerous ,and I accept my mistake and will try that it is not repeated in futre.Thank you very much

sonuvecv
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sonuvecv » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:48 am

TwoRivers wrote: A pierced primer indicates pressure too high, and/or a firing pin too long. The circumferential marks abaout a third from the bottom of the cases indicates a bulge in the cylinder, or abyssmally poor chambering. Spitting lead, the revolver is no timed properly. Split case, chamber too large/case too small, pressure too high. I would think that the revolver needs at least a new cylinder, and parts involved in the timing and rotation of the cylinder. Plus a new, or shortened firing pin. It's probably bent.

. Long firing/defective ammo, primer is pierced and firing pin sticks in primer and does not retract, locking the cylinder from rotation. Forceful attempts to fire again bend the pin until it releases, and bend parts involved in the timing of the cylider in the process. (If the revolver has the frame-mounted firing pin.)

I am not going to ask how you could have a rusty or carbon encrusted cylinder in a break-open revolver, and not be aware of it.

"one shot missed", do you mean misfired ?, or what. It would be difficult to miss the sky.
No sir firing pin is ok and it is not stopping cylinder to rotate and one shot missed means firing pin doesnot hit the primer.I don't know that whether is it possible to change cylinder and how much it cost.Veterns please help shall I go for new weapon.
Regards
Digvijay Singh Tomar

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm

[I am already undercover.... in fact all law abiding citizen of India is undercover...cover of burden, shame, pollution, inflation, exploitation and not the least his existence.]

You missed out on one my friend CORRUPTION :(

:cheers:
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain