Full metal jacket vs soft point

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Full metal jacket vs soft point

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 am

Thank you Xl_Target sir completely agree with you the diameter of a bullet cannot change however the thickness of the jacket may vary with different makes of the same caliber,then again when the bullet is loaded in to the chamber and when the bolt is being closed one needs to apply a bit of effort ,so that is where i believe the rifling gets embedded in to the bullet
Remember that I mentioned SAAMI and CIP in a previous post? All ammunition amnufaturers follow either one or the other's specifications. Yes, I realize that there are some countries that probably don't follow them precisely. I can guarantee that Sellior and Belliot does, or they wouldn't be able to sell ammo worldwide. Keep in mind that what SAAMI publishes are voluntary guidelines and there is no Government body enforcing regulation of their recommended practices.

In this case the jacket thickness is of no importance. If a bullet has a thicker jacket, the diameter of the lead under it will be reduced. The overall diameter of the bullet, whether jacketed or should be the same.

In a commercial rifle with commercial ammunition, the rifle should not engrave the bullet when chambering. If the bullet touches the lands, there could be an increase in pressure which could be dangerous. There is usually a short "leade" or non-rifled area between the bullet and the rifling. If a cartridge requires extra force to close the bolt on it, you might be crushing the shoulder or have a chamber that is not exactly to SAAMI or CIP specifications. A 30-06 headspaces on the shoulder. How much effort do you mean when you say " a bit of effort"? It is hard to tell you what is normal till one feels it for oneself.

Keep in mind that we are talking NOT talking about handloading and custom chambers.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:18 am

Katana wrote:There is nothing different about the two as far as 'eating up the rifling or bore' is concerned. Both SP and FMJ are the same from S&B and will depreciate the rifling in equal measure.

The reason why dealers talk this way is that SP sells more because of it's take down effect on game. The FMJ, meanwhile, penetrates the tissue and exits on the other side. Obviously, dealers are left with more of the FMJ variety and they want to pass it off quickly and at maybe at a slightly lower price.
> My personal experience in using both SP & FMJ / FMC (Full Metal Jacket / Full Metal Clad)....
> While SPs cause heavy damage to the internals of the game shot (often mushrooms within)
> FMJs passed through (the exit aperture being larger than the entry point)
> Didn't find much difference in the knock down power since all my shots did what I wanted it to do.
> As far as the effect caused by SPs Vs FMJs on the rifling - can't honestly comment because these ammos were used intermittently depending on their availability & price.
> Perhaps the only point worth considering is the 'lead fouling' caused inside the barrel by Sps to be a tad more than the FMjs.
> BTW I stand corrected - remember having read somewhere that NATO ammo used to be FMJs.
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:35 am

Briha,
Signatories of the Geneva Convention are required to use non-expanding ammo during conflicts. So most signatories issue FMJ to their armed forces (including India).
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:03 pm

xl_target wrote:Briha,
Signatories of the Geneva Convention are required to use non-expanding ammo during conflicts. So most signatories issue FMJ to their armed forces (including India).
> Thanks xl_target - this has set my mind at rest!
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:24 am

Vineet wrote:The S&B FMJ is slightly thicker than the S&B soft point. This can be seen by inserting both the cartridge, one at a time, into the muzzle end of the rifle, like this
IMG_3360.JPG
When you compare both the bullets , you will notice that FMJ is slightly thicker than the soft point. Being thicker it will eat up rifling faster.

The reason why FMJ from S&B are thicker, is may be because it is a training ammo. In training, lots of rounds need to be fired, which wears the rifling and maybe S&B makes the FMJ thicker to compensate the rifling wear.
Here is the link which says FMJ from S&B are the training ammo and are disposable in bulk package. http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/rifle-ammu ... 7&view=all
Vineet,
You might also want to read this post: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17899.
Maybe it will help answer some of your questions but it might create some new ones :)

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:20 am

xl_target wrote: Vineet,
You might also want to read this post: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17899.
Maybe it will help answer some of your questions but it might create some new ones :)
Thank you for the pointer. No new questions at present :D
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.