Need ur advice how to protect dbbl gun barrell from rust ?

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
darashp
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Need ur advice how to protect dbbl gun barrell from rust ?

Post by darashp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Need ur valuable advice on how to keep protection from rust in dbbl gun barrells and how to clean the barrells ? As i have a iof 12 bore dbbl gun and today i saw after few months there was a rust linings in the barrel so i just brushed the barrells and oiled in it. As i have purchased few months back and i don,t have any experience of caring the gun and barrells,so pls enlighten me on this. Please also suggest me some rust protection ointments which is easily available in the indian market.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Need ur advice how to protect dbbl gun barrell from rust ?

Post by sa_ali » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:57 pm

initially to clean you rust lining, i would suggest that you get ferrik anti rust small can, that is a rust remover, spray that barrel with that and then run 3-4 times the tight pull through with barrel brush followed with normal cotton cloth. Once done with that.
Oil with castrol break oil, thats a good rust removing agent also, so soak a cotton cloth with and again run it through the barrel.

Last part, i have tried it, but i dont have logical reason for it, but it work, catch hold of some imported ammo used in trap/skeet shooting, fire that 1 round reach and after that run the barrel brush follow with pull through simple machine oil socked cloth, then you can stock your barrel.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm

balistol add on the top might be of some use
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

bodhijobs
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by bodhijobs » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Ballistol is a good option. Keeps the rust away.

Regards
BDG
Shoot Safe and Shoot Smart...

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm new to cleaning and rust prevention of firearms but is it possible to chrome or nickel plate the barrels of IOF DBBL provided one have the access to necessary equipments?
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Priyan wrote:I'm new to cleaning and rust prevention of firearms but is it possible to chrome or nickel plate the barrels of IOF DBBL provided one have the access to necessary equipments?
this is something done best while its been made and not after. this will not stop rust, as in Assam humidity is rather on the high side.

good old elbow grease and anti rust prevention works wonders. :lol:
Nagarifle

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Priyan,

Yes it is possible to chrome or nickel plate almost all firearms, provided they are made of steel. Most of the newer firearms are made from certain alloys or polymers which do not permit this process.

The idea is to remove the older coating, be it paint (IOF) or blueing, browning etc., then buff the metal and electroplate it according to the choice of process that may be required. However, a point to be noted is that one does not want a shiny object from the field hunters' or tactical point of view. The shine will just give your position away. Also a shiny barrel will lead to barrel mirage, ultimately throwing your plane of sight awry.

As for your IOF, it would be best to have it blued again instead of chrome/ nickel plating it.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks for your valuable replies nagarifle and Katana.
I was thinking removing the old coating from the IOF DBBL and nickel plating it would be a better option.
nagarifle wrote:this is something done best while its been made and not after. this will not stop rust, as in Assam humidity is rather on the high side.

good old elbow grease and anti rust prevention works wonders. :lol:
Is it useless to chrome or nickel plate a smothbore barrel after the barrel has been used? Provided all the barrel was throughly cleaned and all the oil was removed and metal was buffed.
Katana wrote:Priyan,

Yes it is possible to chrome or nickel plate almost all firearms, provided they are made of steel. Most of the newer firearms are made from certain alloys or polymers which do not permit this process.

The idea is to remove the older coating, be it paint (IOF) or blueing, browning etc., then buff the metal and electroplate it according to the choice of process that may be required. However, a point to be noted is that one does not want a shiny object from the field hunters' or tactical point of view. The shine will just give your position away. Also a shiny barrel will lead to barrel mirage, ultimately throwing your plane of sight awry.

As for your IOF, it would be best to have it blued again instead of chrome/ nickel plating it.
I understand the problem of shiny firearms during hunting and in tactical situation but in this case I was talking about the IOF DBBL, from my point of view, double barrel 12 gauge shotgun is not something people would like to use in a tactical situation also hunting is banned in India for decades. BTW I guess it's possible to chrome the inside of the barrel and blue the outside.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:56 am

no reason why it can not be done, keep in mind that the ball barring[kf shots] may come in contact with chrome and peel it of, also i used to send my bullet bike parts to gyt for chrome/nickeling but it never lasted long and was never very happy with it.
Nagarifle

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:23 am

nagarifle wrote:no reason why it can not be done, keep in mind that the ball barring[kf shots] may come in contact with chrome and peel it of, also i used to send my bullet bike parts to gyt for chrome/nickeling but it never lasted long and was never very happy with it.
Looks like the guy you sent them to sucks big time in electroplating. Nickel plating peels off but I don't think chrome would do the same. Well, you can send them to me to get them coated at price of 100 kilo red chili peppers :P I have nickel plated my friend's motorcycle silencer and still with all that heating and rough use it hasn't peeled off after about 6 months.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:32 am

Priyan wrote:
nagarifle wrote:no reason why it can not be done, keep in mind that the ball barring[kf shots] may come in contact with chrome and peel it of, also i used to send my bullet bike parts to gyt for chrome/nickeling but it never lasted long and was never very happy with it.
Looks like the guy you sent them to sucks big time in electroplating. Nickel plating peels off but I don't think chrome would do the same. Well, you can send them to me to get them coated at price of 100 kilo red chili peppers :P I have nickel plated my friend's motorcycle silencer and still with all that heating and rough use it hasn't peeled off after about 6 months.
in that case go for it. and i might take you up on your offer, minus the payment of chilly :D
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Need ur advice how to protect dbbl gun barrell from rust

Post by sa_ali » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:10 pm

nagarifle wrote:
Priyan wrote:
in that case go for it. and i might take you up on your offer, minus the payment of chilly :D
Hard chrome is used in the join in heavy machinery so that it reduces friction, if its coming off then its definitely not done right way.

Many of top end 12 ga guns have there barrel chromed, this is for the same reason, increase life of the barrel and protect from rusting.

In US most of the gunsmith offer chroming along with any any barrel work like Lengthening the Forcing Cone.

hornet
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:37 pm

why not dullblack c2k paint by spray it does not go away easily although i have never tried it myself.but just throwing the idea to winds may try it in any on an old airgun.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:57 pm

If the rust is very heavy or if barrel is pitted ,use a good pull through rod , starting with generous spraying of rust lick, start with the GI wire brush and the pulling and pushing must be vigorously fast and wipe with clean cloth patches often. then rinse with super hot soft water wearing heat protection.Then repeat using finer brushes and liberal doses of rust lick. finally rinse once again with super hot water and hang the barrel in the sun or near a hearth and wait for a few minutes till it is stone dry . Now dab with any thick auto oil so that it does not drip clean. U can also have a oil dipped cloth as a muzzle plug and a good gun cover or bag . whether u use you weapon or not, Clean and oil it periodically and immediately after shooting ,without delay.My family weapons are still gleaming inside out even after more than 60 years of continuous use.