Firearms Restoration

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Firearms Restoration

Post by art_collector » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi ,
Any idea if we cud send our firearms to the manufacturer for restoration. I checked with a few dealers none of them had any satisfactory reply.Some said yes some didnt know but no one knew the procedure.

Both the guns are with a dealer in south ( in his stock) and wud be sent by him .

AC

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Firearms Restoration

Post by Grumpy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:20 pm

What make are the guns.......and what kind of guns are they ?

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 pm

If it is a British firearm and is of odd calibre, then can send it to the UK for "repairs" but not restoration.It will take quite a few NOCs from police department, an export permit and a reimport permit and obviously, the biggest hassel of all, an NOC from the Home Department.But this only applies to odd calibres like a 240 Nitro express or a 360 No.2 NE.

This information was supplied by Mr.Sohail Bandukwala who is a dealer in Mumbai-Tahir Arms Co to me last Tuesday and he also mentioned that it will be a big hassle to get this done.

Hope this helps

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi Grumpy,

One is a 410 DBBL Gun and another is a 28 Bore DBBL Gun

AC

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Can you mention the makes please?
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:29 pm

"One is a 410 DBBL Gun and another is a 28 Bore DBBL Gun "

OK AC, but what make are they ?

As a matter of interest, are they SxS guns ?

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:42 pm

Yaps both are side by side. The 28 bore is by H&H.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:59 pm

You could have the H&H restored by H&H ...... it would cost you a fortune though. Colour case hardening would be done by Ray St. Leger who does all the colour case hardening for Boss/Purdey/H&H - including the new guns. H&H could also restore the other gun, whoever made it, but again, you`ld pay a huge premium for them doing the work. You could have the gun restored elsewhere just as well and save yourself a packet.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:11 am

I could recommend two gunsmiths in the USA who are highly accomplished in restoring fine guns. Neither will be cheap though they would charge much less than Holland and Holland would. One is Dave Norin who is an ACGG accredited gunsmith and the other is Ka'imiloa, a retired doctor who is a firearms restorer and engraver who has trained under Rachel Wells and is now an FEGA accredited engraver.

If you are serious about this project, then contact me offline and I shall be more than happy to put you in touch with these gentlemen, both of whom I could call my friends. Grumpy knows Ka'imiloa and has met Dave along with me. Mark and I also drop in at Dave's place when he visits Chicago or Waukegan.

Cheers!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:35 am

Ka`imiloa doesn`t do colour case hardening - Dave Norin does. There is also Doug Turnbull ( Turnbull Restoration, Bloomington NY ) whose work is exemplary.
I also know a couple of people in the UK who could do the work.

vishosingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vishosingh » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:47 am

you can get these guns restored to an excellent condition matching international standards here in india pm me for details.
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.