Engraving wood and metal, anyone?

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
shadowring
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Engraving wood and metal, anyone?

Post by shadowring » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi, Does anyone on this board have any experience with engraving gun stock and other metal parts? I've noticed that there isn't a post on this section for engraving both wood and metal parts. Have you heard of any hand engravers in India? Perhaps gunsmithing and engraving goes hand in hand, not many gunsmiths thus no (not many) engravers.
Has anyone tried to apply chemical or electrolytic etching on the metal parts?
Personally, I think that engraving makes a big difference in how a gun looks and has served to improve the value of even ordinary guns. I believe hand engraving tools can be found in the Indian Market, so it only takes a dedicated artist to fill the niche. Let me know what you guys know :)
Last edited by shadowring on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never mistake motion for action.”

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Engraving wood and metal, anyone?

Post by jonahpach » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:51 pm

A Ha! Just what I needed.. A volunteer.. :mrgreen: Have been longing to try my hands on a gun!
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

shadowring
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by shadowring » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:56 pm

uh oh...I know that grin.. :D ...somehow the word "volunteer" doesn't sound too comforting. Perhaps you can work on the ERMA for starters.
“Never mistake motion for action.”

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 am

sowwy bad choice of words.. how about 'lab rat'? :wink: akshually I am very good with my hands :wink: but honest to goodness never tried real engraving. One of these days I'll get my hands on a volunteer... somehow practicing on steel plates or alluminium frames is not my style.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Jim B
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:06 am

I just now found this site. I am a gun engraver in America. I can answer your questions if you would like. I do not know of any engravers in India. Check out my web site www.jimblairengraving.com

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 am

I have seen the results of acid etching on a pistol slide and they have been fantastic. Only this tedious process should be handled by some one who understands what a particular gun means to the owner. The result is very neat in this case where a blank slide was acid etched copying the original roll marks after it was almost destroyed while rebluing. by a gunsmith of which kind there are plenty in our country. Only an expert can make out the difference as this etching is far more neater then the rollmark where the metal is displaced by asserting constant pressure. It wouldn't be a bad idea to engrave one's favorite fire arm If one has a decent looking sample that suits a particular fire arm. There is some Pantograph method as well but one needs the original for reference I was told.

Marksman

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:47 am

Oh yes, and then there is this Laser Etching method but it lacks the depth of a Roll Mark or Acid Etching. I wasn't impressed.

Marksman