rear sight for gir gun

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
umeetbabu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

rear sight for gir gun

Post by umeetbabu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:37 pm

friends i am having .22 air rifle. my gun's rear sight is fixed .i cant adjust the sight. how can i modify the sight in chennai. pls help

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: rear sight for gir gun

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 pm

umeetbabu wrote:friends i am having .22 air rifle. my gun's rear sight is fixed .i cant adjust the sight. how can i modify the sight in chennai. pls help
Hi there,
> First of all 'what make is your air rifle?
> Since you mention that the 'Rear Sight' is fixed - does your air rifle have the provision (space) on the barrel above the breech to fix a new sight?
> If so the best sight you can fix is a 'micro-metric' adjustable rear sight - that helps you to adjust both windage & elevation.
> The local made rear sights are practically useless - suggest you go in for a "Diana 35' rear sight which is available with G Smith in Pune - you can contact them over phone:
Mr. Prasad Kulkarni
Cell No: 098220 22840
> Chances are that some work has to be done re. the fitment - any good gunsmith in Chennai should be able to do it for you. Perhaps IFGians in Chennai should be able to guide you.
Good Luck
Brihacharan

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:55 pm

umeetbabu,

A picture of your rear sight as it is would be very helpful in making suggestions on what to do next.

Regards,

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

joker
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by joker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm

are nation n35 .177 rifle's rear sight easily available.. mine just got damaged as rifle accidentally fell and landed over the rear sight :(
i repaired it but nothing like original one ...are national spares available ..if yes from where ..any info would be of great help

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 pm

joker wrote:are nation n35 .177 rifle's rear sight easily available.. mine just got damaged as rifle accidentally fell and landed over the rear sight :(
i repaired it but nothing like original one ...are national spares available ..if yes from where ..any info would be of great help
Hi Joker,
> If your N35 is IHP, you could then contact IHP and they would do the needful -
> Mr. Makhija - Factory Manager, Contact No: 079 25830221 or Cell No: 09898 075543
Good Luck
Brihacharan

umeetbabu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by umeetbabu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 am

thanks friends, i am very happy for the quick response. i will enclose the pictures of the rear sight with this.pls suggest what to do.thanks. make new light art works. because of this i like to join NRAI to import good gun for target shooting. target shooting gives me peace of mind because of concentration. thank u.

once again thanks Brihacharan,Mark,joker

umeetbabu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by umeetbabu » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 pm

friends i called This thread has been edited for violation of Indian For Guns policy as stated in the Announcements forum. he told me custom rear sight is very costly to make and he agree to send me a sketch of custom made rear sight. i have send a email inquiring about diana 35 rear sight to g smith but no reply. i am waiting for sugesstion. thank u

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm not sure if a custom made sight is going to be calbrated/accurate enough for you to use.

I can't make out how the sight is kept in place.....if a replacement sight off another airgun would fit.

My two cents:

Find out the "sight picture" you need to get your pellets on targets and stick to it. Most people do not adjust their rear sight beyond the first zero anyway. I had problems getting my first zero in an IHP 35: the clicks were too insensitive, to I accepted the slightly wonky sight picture I got (front post slightly to left, and half the size of the ridges) and still shoot with it.

Its not ideal, but its better than having a gun and not shooting it.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

umeetbabu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by umeetbabu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 am

hamiclar01 wrote:I'm not sure if a custom made sight is going to be calbrated/accurate enough for you to use.

I can't make out how the sight is kept in place.....if a replacement sight off another airgun would fit.

My two cents:

Find out the "sight picture" you need to get your pellets on targets and stick to it. Most people do not adjust their rear sight beyond the first zero anyway. I had problems getting my first zero in an IHP 35: the clicks were too insensitive, to I accepted the slightly wonky sight picture I got (front post slightly to left, and half the size of the ridges) and still shoot with it.

Its not ideal, but its better than having a gun and not shooting it.
thank u sir. then i try for a imported one.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm

just a suggestion.instead of going through all this headache,get a bore sighter.and the rest will be easy.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:54 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:just a suggestion.instead of going through all this headache,get a bore sighter.and the rest will be easy.
:shock:
A boresighter for a 10-30m airgun?Not only do they not come cheap, people use them to conserve ammo (particularly with our quotas) and save walking at the range. 0.22 or 0.177 pellets aren't exactly costly powder burners, with annual limits, flung over large distances.

ummetbabu may be a newbie in shooting who needs to know his gun as much as possible. He must shoot as often as he can, even if it is for zeroing. The less confusion we offer him, the better.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:51 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:
dr.jayakumar wrote:just a suggestion.instead of going through all this headache,get a bore sighter.and the rest will be easy.
:shock:
A boresighter for a 10-30m airgun?Not only do they not come cheap, people use them to conserve ammo (particularly with our quotas) and save walking at the range. 0.22 or 0.177 pellets aren't exactly costly powder burners, with annual limits, flung over large distances.

ummetbabu may be a newbie in shooting who needs to know his gun as much as possible. He must shoot as often as he can, even if it is for zeroing. The less confusion we offer him, the better.
i didn't get you.you mean a bore sighter is not useful for this gun?or you are suggesting against as the sighter is costly?

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:
i didn't get you.you mean a bore sighter is not useful for this gun?or you are suggesting against as the sighter is costly?
i. I can't understand how a bore sighter will help some one with crappy open sights that can't move
ii. He is struggling to source an open sight. His woes will begin anew if he starts looking around for a bore sighter as well. Not to mention the latter will cost more than his gun
iii. Zeroing is, in my opinion, shooting practise. it lets me get a feel of a new gun. he needs to shoot as much as he can
iv. a bore sighter would let us conserve costly ammo, and reduce trips to distant targets. a simple airgun has the luxury of close targets and cheap ammo.

umeetbabu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by umeetbabu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:14 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:
dr.jayakumar wrote:
i. I can't understand how a bore sighter will help some one with crappy open sights that can't move
ii. He is struggling to source an open sight. His woes will begin anew if he starts looking around for a bore sighter as well. Not to mention the latter will cost more than his gun
iii. Zeroing is, in my opinion, shooting practise. it lets me get a feel of a new gun. he needs to shoot as much as he can
iv. a bore sighter would let us conserve costly ammo, and reduce trips to distant targets. a simple airgun has the luxury of close targets and cheap ammo.
thanks for the suggestion.
if i used to practice my gun, one day i find somewhat accuracy in my gun, then when i go for a good gun, what will happen? i have to change the way of getting accuracy in new gun. it is difficult. so only i am asking for rear sight to improve target shooting.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:18 pm

ok,i give up!!