Cleaning the ashani

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Cleaning the ashani

Post by casual shooter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

As the barrel of the Ashani is fixed with glue, how should the weapon be cleaned, i have this piece of ordnance since 3 years and i am constantly firing about 5-10 rounds a week, i think it needs cleaning.
i have tried to field strip but the barrel lock does not budge. please help.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Cleaning the ashani

Post by dev » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:06 am

How about using a rod and jag. Mastershot company has .32 cleaning rods and the required solvents and all that. Take it to an armourer of a good gun shop for the field strip lesson.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:27 am

Amazing... the depths that the IOF has to go down to. Why would they want to 'glue' the barrel? Since it is plainly based on the Browning twist and remove system, the only reason they have to glue it is because its so poorly fitted that the barrel rotates out of index when the weapon is fired or cycled... the front bushing is a simple matter of push in, twist and pop out.... awful... they are actually selling un-strippable weapons.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Casual shooter,

The culprit is araldite stuck barrel bushing which is commonly used by the innovative minds at the IOF not to allow the barrel bushing to rotate and loosen out so that the spring around the barrel doesn't pop out when it shouldn't. There have been instances reported where because of the faulty barrel bushing , the bushing itself, the main spring and sometimes the barrel have gotten dissembled during use or while being carried - a self (field) stripping firearm Cottage Cheese Sir. :mrgreen:

Not all pistols have a faulty barrel bushing, but if present, the fault can be rectified easily. I guess the IOF geniuses just give the blanket araldite treatment to all the barrel bushings just in case one turns out to be faulty.
Hmm, so much so for "proactive coping" ! :D

First, please make sure that the pistol is unloaded. Gentle percussion with a wooden bar taking care not to affect the (so called) finish should help you to loosen up the araldite. Then press the bushing and rotate anti-clockwise keeping it pressed till you feel a little "give". Slowly release the pressure and deliver out the bushing and the main spring.

HTH,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:02 pm

do i have to re-fix the barrel again with araldite. so that i do not loose it, i believe spares are not heard of, has any one tried. i do not want to invent the wheel.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:10 pm

casual shooter wrote:do i have to re-fix the barrel again with araldite. so that i do not loose it, i believe spares are not heard of, has any one tried. i do not want to invent the wheel.
You don't need to refix with araldite at all. It is meant to be a Browning 1910 design where pressure and rotation on the bushing should unlock it and the reverse movement would lock it . Your pistol requires to be field stripped, cleaned and lubricated periodically. Enjoy servicing your Ashani.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Original Equipment - Araldite-d Barrel????

The manufacturers are truly incorrigible!

:uncontrollable: ROTFL
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!