How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish.

Post by Risala » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Wow,you got the passion and the patience,keep it coming,cant wait to see the end result.
Can see you enjoying yourself,great work.
Best
Sanjay

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:38 pm

If you fill in any dings in the stock with a mixture of epoxy and saw dust,that part would come out as a dark spot in the final finish.
You are right. Infact it can come out as a light spot as well. One could add stain before mixing in the epoxy.

Earlier I mentioned that you just press the mix in. Actually it's better to layer it on.As you rightly mentioned, putty is the best way to fill in deep scratches but not the stuff available here. If you go o the Axminster site you wil find puttys in various colours which can be used singly or mixed to get the desired colour.

The amount of oil that was being sweated out of the fore-end needed to be seen to be believed. At first I thought I had placed an oily rag on top of it by mistake, except there was none around. I couldn't take a pic as I was charging the camera batteries at the time.
You can save saw dust from a walnut stock,soak it in water and use it as wood stain.
Now that's a handy tip. Lets have some more.
Ooops.I am giving suggestions to a man who has more experience in this than I and who has a master to guide him
Don't you believe that. Even Grumpy can learn a thing or two. In the past week or so he knocked me for a six, twice, when he said he did not know off J-B Weld and Ballistol. So, keep it coming.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:45 pm

Sanjay";p="14814 wrote:Wow,you got the passion and the patience
Not this time, Sanjay. Infact I have to force myself to do it. Just not in the mood. I usually sand down to 1200 grit (many reckon that that is way too much and they are probably right) but this time I drew the line at 800 grit when working on the fore-end.

Far too much chequering to work around and the heat tends to make you go...

Image ;)

Mind you, that candle was at the back of the table and only gets direct sunlight for two hours and of the setting Sun, at that.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Asif, guess what I am saving those cotton bud stems for?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:53 pm

Mack The Knife,

I tried refinishing a stock once ,after seeing your work.One thing that I found very useful to remove oil from the wood, is an old room heater,the one with rods.You can also use a heat gun,just ensure that you don't char the wood.A tin of talcum powder is,I found essential.Wiping the oil with cloth is useless after sometime as you only end up spreading it on the wood.Sprinkle the spot with talcum powder,rub it and then wipe it away.A good days work this. Forget about removing all the oil though.

Another tip that I found usefull was to mix some of the wood dust in the finish that you plan to use and fill minor dings with it.Apply this mixture to the required area and wait for it to dry fully,then sand it down.Also helps to fill out some of the biger pores.

One thing that I have not tried, is to use an ear bud dipped in bleach to lighten dark spots.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:23 pm

penpusher,

No room heaters or heat gun here. The Sun does an adequate job.

I wipe the sweated oil away with toilet paper. It's cheap, it absorbs and you can use a clean piece everytime.

The oil, scratches and dents just don't seem to bother me this time. I am going to give it a darkish stain to hide whatever is possible and get on with it.

Grumpy did make a passing reference to bleaching the stock. I wasn't interested, so did not ask him how. If it's not a trade secret (not being sarcy here) then he will mention how to do it when he reads this.

Let's see some pictures of your stock. If you still don't have a digicam, go and buy one. You've been dilly-dallying on this for over a year now. Very helpful tool and I just wish I had bought one earlier.

Mack The Knife

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:28 pm

Great stuff Mack The Knife!

Very enlightening and kujdos for your 'hands on' attitude.

That candle reminds me of something... so flaccid! :P

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Jonah,

Don't discuss your body part/s and their capability or lack of it.

Mack The Knife,

About buying a digital camera,digital SLR's cost a bomb and by the time I have saved money for the body and the lenses, some expenditure crops up and the plan goes kaput.The last time I ended up blowing all the money on a pistol.Now the car needs to be replaced.At the moment, photography is the last thing on my mind.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:42 pm

DIGITAL SLR!!! :shock:

Get an ordinary point and shoot with 3X (optical) zoom and you are set. That is what I have been using.

Start a post in the General section and you will get loads of suggestions from the shutterbugs amongst us.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:55 pm

Have a very good idea about what I want to buy.The thing is that I have a pretty good camera at the moment,though a film one and if I sell it I would get next to nothing considering the amount that I spent on it and the lenses,filters....On the other hand I would have to spend a bomb buying a digital camera that would give me the same performance. Maybe in a months time,I will get one.
penpusher

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:54 am

penpusher
Mack The Knife has a point get a starter 3x zoom and a light one you can carry around. They are really afordable. Its the same argument going on hunting trip would you take your Jefferey/expensive Shotty or rugged IOF or Baikal..

One needs two cameras SLR is for special shoots.

All the best

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:04 pm

HSharief";p="14794 wrote:Did I miss something, what's on the 25th ?
Starting a new project on the 26th......hopefully.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:05 pm

A little more added to the original post today.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Some more added to original post.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Fantastic again.Mack The Knife great job.The gloss of that stock is superb.I am already visualising the end product.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:31 pm

Staining procedure added.

Mack The Knife