How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:14 pm

mundaire wrote:Great stuff Mack The Knife! :) Now how about posting some close-ups of the furniture? I noticed that the fore end is darker than the stock, have different woods been used? Or is there some other reason for the difference in colour?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Thanks, Abhijeet. Sure, will take the close-ups tomorrow.

According to Grumpy, the fore-ends on used guns are always darker as that is the part that gets held the most.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: How to give your stock a BASIC oil finish.

Post by penpusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:40 pm

According to Grumpy, the fore-ends on used guns are always darker as that is the part that gets held the most.
Also the pistol grip area on the butt.

penpusher

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:45 pm

there is a flaw in the butt-stock that has just been oiled but none of you seem to have noticed it. Let me know if you do.
You mean the butt plate being thinner than the stock?

Is the LOP now right for you?

penpusher

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Yes, penpusher, exactly. The fore-end and the grip area of the stock are those areas that receive most handling and therefore get most greasy sweat and muck rubbed in. Fore-ends are much more difficult to deal with because a very high area is chequered. Hence it is very common on older or well-used guns for the fore-end to be darker than the stock.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:31 pm

You mean the butt plate being thinner than the stock?
Nope and neither is the width of the butt-plate less than that of the stock. Look at the pics from the time I start staining the butt-stock.

Is the LOP now right for you?
Far more comfortable and natural. And it isn't slipping like the old one. There is one problem though - when I mount the gun quickly, I tend to point below the target. However, I'll start a new thread regarding this.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:38 pm

Sujay";p="15819 wrote:Nice job Mack The Knife!
Thank you, Sujay. However, you are not getting away that easily. Since it was you that made me do this exercise, I will now expect you to refurbish a stock and show me the results. You have one month and I am not kidding. :mrgreen:

BTW, I am not happy with the outcome and will be re-doing the butt-stock sometime during the winter.

Mack The Knife

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:05 am

Mack The Knife wrote: Thank you, Sujay. However, you are not getting away that easily. Since it was you that made me do this exercise, I will now expect you to refurbish a stock and show me the results. You have one month and I am not kidding. :mrgreen:
Mack The Knife
GULP.. :oops: To start with I do not have any stock ...

And continuing, it would take atleast an year to collect the equipment and materials to put up a workshop !

How about a special treat to your liking if you let go of your deadline ? :wink:
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:13 am

:mrgreen:

Jokes aside, try your hand at finishing a wooden plank using commercially available oil based stain and polish.

I would have suggested boiled linseed oil but the way the weather is at the moment even that would take ages to dry.

Try it. It isn't difficult at all.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:56 am

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 pm

Great job boss.Don't understand why you would want to redo the butt stock though.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:25 pm

Looking very nice Mack The Knife! :) BTW - I've been meaning to ask, what's that round silver coloured sticker just ahead of the sling swivel?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:17 pm

BTW - I've been meaning to ask, what's that round silver coloured sticker just ahead of the sling swivel?
That's for him to engrave his name on.Might be too small for all his titles Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar , Farzand-i-Khas, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan and Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia.So it will have to be plain old Mack The Knife :lol:

penpusher

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:42 pm

Also noticed you've had the triggers gold plated... nice touch! :D
penpusher wrote:That's for him to engrave his name on.Might be too small for all his titles Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar , Farzand-i-Khas, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan and Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia.So it will have to be plain old Mack The Knife :lol:

penpusher
:lol: :lol:
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:14 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:
kanwar76 wrote:Nice work Rusty as always...
If that's the case, how come I screwed-up on yours? Or did those dark bits appear later?
You never screwed up .. I did :(. Should have worked on something else before giving it a go.
Mack The Knife wrote:Anyway, now that I have finished working on mine, I would like to have a look at your stock.
When can i come :)
Mack The Knife wrote:BTW, there is a flaw in the butt-stock that has just been oiled but none of you seem to have noticed it. Let me know if you do.Mack The Knife
Are you talking about that silver sticker? Is there a hole beneath it? :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Fabulous work as always, the amount of patience that you have is scary. Must have used a lot of elbow grease. Your shotgun is a real treasure, I bet shooting it will be sweet.

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife wrote:
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.