problem with .32 iof rev

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
msbabbar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

problem with .32 iof rev

Post by msbabbar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:19 pm

i own the iof .32 rev and it mis fires a lot many times i have fired a few hundred rounds from it.
out of six mine misses 2 or 3 these days if i fire them in continuation.if i fire after cocking each time it does not miss.
kindly help

For Advertising mail webmaster
target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: problem with .32 iof rev

Post by target shooter » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 pm

msbabbar wrote:i own the iof .32 rev and it mis fires a lot many times i have fired a few hundred rounds from it.
out of six mine misses 2 or 3 these days if i fire them in continuation.if i fire after cocking each time it does not miss.
kindly help

I wonder if u smoke. if you do then stop smoking, it may improve :lol: :lol: .
Regards,
TS

Stop writing nonsense if you don't have a clue about the topic.

Mod

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:46 pm

try change of writing in full nad thoup uzing shot ords.

or try a change of ammo/ ie try non Indian ammo if not done so
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

msbabbar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by msbabbar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:59 pm

i dont smoke dear.by the way how can it help :roll:

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Babbar saab what is the model of your revolver. Is it with fixed firing pin or the current enclosed independent firing pin with transfer bar safety . I am asking cause there is a minor difference in both the firing mechanism. There is a tendency of misfiring in older revolvers but not in the new ones. Secondly it can be a problem with the amno also. try using fresh amno.
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 pm

msbabbar wrote:i dont smoke dear.by the way how can it help :roll:
Than it may be the firearm, may not be your hand.
Good luck

msbabbar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by msbabbar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:25 pm

mine is the old model ,not the current model.it misfires at 90 degree most of the times.i found out that the bullets move to and fro in the chamber when we change positions of the rev.does this happen with others also.i have also used the same kf ammo in a s&w.there it fires without any problem at any position of the rev.

peterdk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peterdk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:41 pm

get the distance between the chamber and the firing pin checked ( is there a dent in the primer of the cargt. after a misfire ?)

if the frame has streched because of substandard metal being used, this might be the problem.

i agree with the others that ask you to try forgin ammunition in the gun as well, but if the firing pin dont dent the primer then you have a serius gun problem, and should refrain from shooting the gun untill you have it checked out.

best

peter
Life is to short for a low quality gun

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 pm

It could also be caused by something as simple as inadequate compression of spring in DA. If I recall (somewhat foggily) in SA mode, the notch in the hammer engages the sear a little further back (thus more compression and thus marginally more force) than the 'release' or break point of the DA pawl. Since the DA 'break' point is a few degrees lesser than the SA sear engagement point, the main spring probably isn't compressed as much. Perhaps in an attempt to have a light as possible DA trigger pull, the IOF guys overlooked stuff like spring metal quality, fatigue...etc.

...Just a mechanical though and I could be wrong.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

peterdk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peterdk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:48 pm

CC

you might be very right indeed, i hope so, since then it is just a matter of a new main spring

best

peter

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:57 pm

peterdk wrote:CC

you might be very right indeed, i hope so, since then it is just a matter of a new main spring

best

peter
Ah! Peter... that's assuming the IOF types decide to let some common pheasant ha a new state-of-art spring ... :lol:
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

msbabbar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by msbabbar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:17 pm

the firing pin dents the primer every time but the force is not enough i suppose.but why does the gun fire when i cock it and not when i pull the trigger repeatedly .it misfires more when the rev is in vertical position than when in horizontal position.my supposition is that the bullet moves towards the front when the pin hits it.thats why the force delivered is less and it misfires.

peterdk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peterdk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 pm

babbar

please check the cylinder for longitudial play, meaning can you move it back and forwards when the gun is closed ? if so then it is as i suspected that you have too much room between the cylinder and the breech, this is because of low quality control.

the hack solution is to have some one make you a spacer, to put in front of the cylinder to take up the slack, so the cylinder is firm when the hammer falls, this job should even be something that a indian gunmaker could do without a problem :twisted:
but if the problem comes back after you have fired the gun a hunred shots or so then it is because of the frame is streching and you can then use it as a very nice paper weight or use it to to kill fish by hitting them over the head with it, just never fire it again.

the fix is easy, just remember to check it along the way.

best

peter

-- Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:14 pm --
cottage cheese wrote:
peterdk wrote:CC

best

peter
Ah! Peter... that's assuming the IOF types decide to let some common pheasant ha a new state-of-art spring ... :lol:

CC

is it a coil spring or a flat bar spring on these contraptions, either way it is posibly to make them oneself

best

peter

msbabbar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by msbabbar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:00 pm

:agree: the frame has stretched.even the color has changed may be due to the reason that it got heated up after so many rounds.
i'll post pics whwn i get time.
can we get a spare cylinder ??
and this is for the quality the iof provides us :deadhorse:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Awful...man...if it has really stretched.

Brings up a point I brought up on another thread some time back - that most Indian made guns are untested (proofing aside) for 'real' use... i.e sustained use, lots of firings. With manufacturers of civilian arms including IOF probably assuming the average Indian gun owner will be firing just a handful of shots per year, the standards in durability will certainly be in a very relaxed state.

The over restrictive arms rules with the severe restriction on ammunition possession, helps this dangerous situation I feel.

regards,
cc