gunsmiths

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
waulakh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

gunsmiths

Post by waulakh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:26 am

hi friends,
can any body suggest a good gunsmith in or around Delhi who can do engraving and printing on an
old shotgun by E J Churchill, a 28 inch boxlock ejector.it was purchased brand new by my father
in the 1940s, and was used extensively on hunts in the good old times till about 1970.the printing and
engraving is totally worn out and is not even legible,while the barrels and stock are in an excellent
condition.its a family heirloom which cannot be parted with.
regards.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: gunsmiths

Post by Sakobav » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 am

Aulakh

Good luck and do post picture of this heirloom

Best

tamancha
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tamancha » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi ,
You want to have engraving on your E.J & you are residing in Delhi. I read your post inquiring anyone to give information about engraving, there is a gun house in Jaunpur run by MAZHAR & SONS, the prop. of the said shop is Azhar Bhai who is a law practitioner by profession but he is awesome gunsmith i have ever seen. His specialty is engraving on wood .At one occasion I saw him engraving even on metals which looks very strange in India.

His postal Add. is Mazhar & Sons, Quila road Jaunpur, Dist.JAunpur (U.P.)

bapulathi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bapulathi » Fri May 27, 2016 5:00 pm

dear tamancha.
if possible then please mention phone number also... plz

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:44 pm

Waulakh, if it is a quality English gun, then it would be worth your while to directly send it to the manufacturer for a full restoration. This may prove to be a bit more expensive, but you can be:

a) Assured of the finished product, they will essentially rebuild/ restore to brand new condition
b) A restoration by the original manufacturer would enhance the value of the firearm
c) If you are (now) going to be the primary user, you can have them "fit" the gun to you

See http://www.ejchurchill.com/gunmakers/gu ... d-service/

If I were you, that's the route I would take.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. It is a misconception that Indian gunsmiths charge substantially less than their overseas counterparts. In my experience their charges are almost at par and sometimes in excess of what gunsmiths charge overseas.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TheThirdEye
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TheThirdEye » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 pm

To help at low cost, I would like to know the requirement of Engraving. If the depth required is just 0.5-1mm then I would suggest to go for Etching which can be done by yourself.

Materials Required:
Sodium Bromide
Distilled Water
Transformer(2-3A) with 2 pads

Added in 5 minutes 45 seconds:
If more depth is required then obviously even the gunsmith will do the same procedure as listed below which can be done by yourself:

Remove/Fill the already engraved location
Buffing for nice finish and to newly engrave the same location
Measure the available safe area leaving margin to fill in data
Prepare the data to be printed
Lazer sutting tool can be used to engrave the prepared data
Spray paint the required area with required colour by paper taping the unwanted area
Dry and polish if required
Varnish the wooden handle if any

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:46 pm

With due respect, engraving and roll marks disappear only if a gun has been reblued after careless polishing/buffing of the metal or blued more then once. The breech /action is generally blued/colour case hardened after the engraving job and thus certainly cannot loose its depth and details by just handling. At the most it may lose it's colour case hardened effects on the metal.
It may have lost its collectors value already If the gun has been reblued. Thus no harm trying out the local talents in my opinion.

Marksman