paint your weapon?

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: paint your weapon?

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:09 pm

To make a boiling tank, either for phosphating or rust bluing, simplest way is to use a section of aluminum roof gutter and get end caps for the 2 ends. assemble them with silicone caulk and also (this is important!) attach them with a few sheet metal screws. You then have a nice boiling tank for very little money. Use it over a stove or gas burner. Most phosphating is done around 190 degrees F.

I have a shotgun that I degreased and painted with black lacquer, and then put into a 250 degree oven. Paint the gun following the directions on the can, let dry for a day, figure out how to fit it into the oven, then pre-heat the oven to 250, put the gun in, and turn it off and leave it sit overnight. It is not bluing but it does not look that bad. I did that 15 years ago and though it is getting worn it still looks presentable. I'll see if I can remember to take a pic in the next day or two. I had to do it a secnd time as the first time I did it, I took the gun out while it was still warm and the paint was soft and got finger impressions wherever I touched it.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: paint your weapon?

Post by mashh1 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:18 pm

hi
Mack The Knife here are the photos of CZ52 i pakerized, will post pictures of rifle probably tomorrow as i dont have any right now. as far as the bath for hot bluing, we also have one.
Mark where i read the formula of home parkerizing, that person mentioned the use of the Pyrex beakers which are very costly and not available in more than 2 litre capacity which is surely limited for a rifle. what type of paint u mentioned is i think Duracoat type which is oven baked. but i use simple auto aerosol can for my rifle. so it might be the reason it starts chipping off on impacts. i will love if u can guide for home refinishing of alloy frames such as berretas or winchester defender shotgun. i had bought an air brush and an old air compressor for my work but still cannot find proper paint for the job.
regards

cz52
cz52-1

cz52-2

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:18 am

That's a reasonably good job, Mashh.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife