Rear Guide OD for IHP35 ??

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Rear Guide OD for IHP35 ??

Post by SUFFIX » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Hello Tuners,
I would like to know the rear Guide OD for IHP35. I am planning to send some springs to a friend of mine.

-Suffix

For Advertising mail webmaster
SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Rear Guide OD for IHP35 ??

Post by SUFFIX » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 am

Surprised to see that there is no reply :shock: May be no one like to tune an IHP?

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:27 am

Well it was Holi and the weekend and all that here......I missed reading your post too.........

If the springs you are procuring are meant for Diana/RWS they will fit....If you still want dimensions, can you wait for another 10 hours, I'll push the data to you when I reach home.

On second thoughts...tell your friend to make a custom spring guide...the origianl IHP guide belongs in the trash can....If your friend is in Mumbai, I can help him out all the way......

So let me know....

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SUFFIX » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:52 am

Thank you very much! Funtumfan2003!

I can wait :)
-Suffix

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 am

The OD varies from 12.25 to 12.45 mm. Its not perfectly cylindrical and the measurement varies along the length.

Who is this friend of yours ? And what make of springs is he seeking from you ? I would like to help......
PM me the details......

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi Manish,
> Agree with you the IHP rear guide is pathetic to say the least. It's actually sheet metal folded & welded rather crudely.
> The OD is as you mentioned 12.45mm - however if you are changing the spring - these come with different IDs - hence rear guide OD has to be a perfect fit, else it won't serve the purpose.
> Suggest that depending on the ID of the spring the rear guide has to be preferably machined with a +/- 0.5mm to 0.75mm tolerence on the lower side.
> This will enable a 'snug' fit' which is necessary as the spring expands when cocked - allowing the spring to be released smoothly without a wobble.
> Also recommend to increase the length of the rear guide by 10mm to 12mm as compared to the IHP rear guide.
> A light coat of Moly both on the guide & spring surface will aid better performance.
> Delrin or SS would be an ideal choice for machining the rear guide. Personally I've used SS and it has worked wonders!
Cheers
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Manish,
> Delrin or SS would be an ideal choice for machining the rear guide. Personally I've used SS and it has worked wonders!
Cheers
Briha
Sorry for posing a couple of naive Qs here :stupid: Would "SS" stand for Stainless Steel or something else ? Now a fabricated guide would still have the welding job necessary, right ? Would that not leave an uneven (rough) linear patch on the insides even if outer roughness is polished off ?
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SUFFIX » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Thank you all!
So looks like a spring that has ID = 12.6~12.7mm should be an excellent fit for IHP35. Hmm sounds like BSA super sports (FAC) spring will do the magic :)

-Suffix

pkjeetesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pkjeetesh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:03 am

SUFFIX wrote:Surprised to see that there is no reply :shock: May be no one like to tune an IHP?

:mrgreen: yeah Suffix...

Anyway....the original IHP guide is rolled sheet steel, the OD varies between 12.5 to 12.58mm...you can machine a single piece guide out of brass or MS/Delrin with a suitable OD....the spring must be snug fit on the guide, not too loose not too tight....

here is a picture of a machined MS guide surface hardened to 25microns to fit a James Maccari XLR2 spring....

or even brass...

regards

p k jeetesh

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:22 pm

airgun_novice wrote:
brihacharan wrote:Hi Manish,
Cheers
Briha
Sorry for posing a couple of naive Qs here :stupid: Would "SS" stand for Stainless Steel or something else ? Now a fabricated guide would still have the welding job necessary, right ? Would that not leave an uneven (rough) linear patch on the insides even if outer roughness is polished off ?
Hi Amol,
> SS is for stainless steel - I preferred it for its machinability, and its resistance to rust. Looks good too.
> As Jeetesh has mentioned Brass also serves the purpose, but is softer than SS.
> Rear Guides should preferably be machined as there is no welding involved - IHP does it out of sheet metal rolling & welding to save on costs. The final job is crude & uneven - precision goes for a toss.
Cheers
Briha

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Check PM
SUFFIX wrote:Hmm sounds like BSA super sports (FAC) spring will do the magic :)

-Suffix

Darr ke aage jeet hai

SUFFIX
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SUFFIX » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:42 pm

pkjeetesh wrote: here is a picture of a machined MS guide surface hardened to 25microns to fit a James Maccari XLR2 spring....

p k jeetesh
What is the Piston ID ?
fantumfan2003 wrote:Why bother with Crosman and Titan springs in an IHP ? Your friend (who he is, you do not wish to tell me......?????) is wasting his time and making a GOOD gun VERY BAD in the process....

Its a waste of time and money putting a Crosman or Titan in an IHP.

M.
May be this a good place to talk rather than PM. I personally don't like PM in forum as there in nothing personal here :)
By the way, why do you think Crosman or Titan is not a good choice?

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:07 pm

So who is this friend of yours for whom you are going all out for advice ?

M.
SUFFIX wrote: May be this a good place to talk rather than PM. I personally don't like PM in forum as there in nothing personal here :)
By the way, why do you think Crosman or Titan is not a good choice?

Darr ke aage jeet hai

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:44 pm

brihacharan wrote: Hi Amol,
> SS is for stainless steel - I preferred it for its machinability, and its resistance to rust. Looks good too.
> As Jeetesh has mentioned Brass also serves the purpose, but is softer than SS.
> Rear Guides should preferably be machined as there is no welding involved - IHP does it out of sheet metal rolling & welding to save on costs. The final job is crude & uneven - precision goes for a toss.
Cheers
Briha
Thank you, Brihacharan, for the clarification. Really appreciate all the gyaan. :-)

-- Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 pm --

Dear Suffix,

Agreed that 'phoren' springs are usually better, but then would it not be cheaper and better if similar springs which are duplicated in India are used by guys in India instead ? Just give an impetus to local economy in these days of stagflagnation. Not to hijack this thread, but I am seriously thinking of going for Kolkatta-based SDB as my second (or rather third) air rifle, rather than ordering one from Pyramid Air. What say ? Awaiting my wife to get in real great mood so could "con"vince her. :wink:
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 pm

If you really want to try an imported spring - try this - Get a crosman spring part no. from Crosman.com
and order it from www.abairgun.com.
/s/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.