Lubing the internal components of a spring-piston airgun

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Lubing the internal components of a spring-piston airgun

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:06 pm

Mack The Knife,

What do you recommend me for cleaning the internals of the Milbro/Diana I am restoring. Can see lot of dirt and little bit of rust inside the cylinder and on the piston and spring.... The rifle has not been cared for for a number of years. How about soaking it in petrol and then wiping it dry...may be leave it out in the sun for sometime then to make sure all the petrol evaporates...? Or do you suggest something else....

Manish

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Manish,

To remove the rust use what was used for the external surfaces.

To remove the gunk you could try petrol, diesel, acetone, surgical spirit or even immerse the part/s in boiling water and then give them a good scrub.

If you clean the parts with anything other than water, make sure that the parts are completely cleaned out with water before lubing and assembly.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks Rustom...Will do....
Mack The Knife Bana";p="42383 wrote:Manish,

To remove the rust use what was used for the external surfaces.

To remove the gunk you could try petrol, diesel, acetone, surgical spirit or even immerse the part/s in boiling water and then give them a good scrub.

If you clean the parts with anything other than water, make sure that the parts are completely cleaned out with water before lubing and assembly.

gun nut
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gun nut » Mon May 19, 2008 6:47 pm

about lubing an airgun what about an older gun which has a leather cup shaped washer ?

vijaycool
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vijaycool » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi All,
For PTFE in liquid form one can try NULON products. You can go their site nulonindia and order online. My bike is smooth after adding ptfe in the engine oil :D . Cost of 50 ml tin is Rs 90 including postage.
I am not sure it will work or not just my 2 cents

ai

Post by ai » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi!

I suggest do it the way it should be done- use a rust remover like one from Birchwood Casey. Remove deposits, especially from barrel using a solvent- RWS and other have excellent ones. After cleaning, use oils meant for each part of the gun- Air Chamber, external, barrel. Of course, this depend on the overall condition of the gun, how meticulous you want to be, and how much effort you want to make in finding parts if any are required. I had restored the Diana Mod-35 I had put up for sale in the Sale forum, and had followed the above procedure, including installing a John Knibbs spring, and replacing the Trigger assembly with an original got from France, and rebluing from Bisley.

In case that's the path you want to take, let me know if you need the solvent/oils etc- if you are near Mumbai/Chandigarh, I'll provide them free and help out with the restoration if required.

Regards,

AI

pkjeetesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pkjeetesh » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:53 am

Can anyone tell me how to lube the inside of the piston and the chamber with an even coat of lubricant...I plan to insert the piston first, the outside of which is lubed and only then introduce lube in the chamber...the idea is to avoid as much lubricant in front of the piston...the picture below (not good quality) could give you an idea...

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 pm

KB article restored, please see the first post in this thread.
Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Atanu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Atanu » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Rustom,

Thanks very much for all the expert advice on lubing/ oiling etc. I have been wandering on the web and every expert advises differently.

I have been oiling my National 35; 0.22 as per one such adice. Remove the stock. Apply just a few drops of machine oil or Zorrix on the mainspring using a syringe. Also about one drop in the air exit near the breach. I still do not know how to dissemble the gun. Maybe you could post another educative post on this.

I also wish your expert adice on the following:

(1) Dieseling: How would I know I know when dieseling has happened? Although the gun shoots very well, I observe some black oily stuff on the spring. Is this due to dieseling or simple because of frictional rub off of a gun being broken in? Do I need to clean this? Can I agitate some rubbing spirit in the chamber (with dismantling), drain and dry this off?

(2) Some sites advice that new pellots should be oiled slightly. Will this be necessary after I clean and oil the bore after about every 1000 shots?

Thanks & BR,
Atanu

srkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by srkhan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:03 pm

How about "Mobil" and "Castrol Moly Grease" inside My Diana 45 Compression Tube
You are Lucky! you can get Airguns import permission!!

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Any make is fine as long as its moly grease. Use sparingly on all metal parts making contact with each other.

M.
srkhan wrote:How about "Mobil" and "Castrol Moly Grease" inside My Diana 45 Compression Tube
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:26 pm

I never knew that castrol manfactures Moly Grease. cool.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

srkhan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by srkhan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:25 pm

snIPer wrote:I never knew that castrol manfactures Moly Grease. cool.
/S/
I hope now you know> http://www.performance-oils.co.uk/acata ... ease-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are Lucky! you can get Airguns import permission!!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Hey that is a UK link.
Is it available in India.
Thanks
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

t20
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by t20 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:43 pm

It contains 2% moly looks like not good for Airgun.

They recommend 40~60% moly. Usually 60% are costly and very hard to get.