Gun Stock Finish

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Gun Stock Finish

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of adding a bit of sheen to my D52 stock. I have hoppes gun stock finishing kit with me but is there anything better than that available? I am looking for oil which should not darken already darken spots on the stock but just add some sheen to it. Please see the pic to get an idea of what I am talking about. Any idea How to remove that black spot?

What is the advantage of applying WAX to gun stock?

-Inder
Last edited by kanwar76 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Inder

Those are dark circles... give some vitamins to ur D52 stock or contact Dr. Asif :mrgreen:

Danish

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:37 pm

danish21";p="13897 wrote:Inder

Those are dark circles... give some vitamins to ur D52 stock or contact Dr. Asif :mrgreen:

Danish
Was that a joke..If yes then please come here and tickle me :evil: :evil:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:48 pm

:lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Gun Stock Finish

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Inder,

The dark bits are probably a result of sanding against the grain. If this is so, then the only way to remove them is to strip the original finish and re-sand the stock. I would advice you not to do this.

When you say 'sheen', are you refering to a silky or shiny finish?

Waxing will repel water to some extent and protect the oil finish cracking due to handling or weather.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:19 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="13905 wrote:Inder,

The dark bits are probably a result of sanding against the grain. If this is so, then the only way to remove them is to strip the original finish and re-sand the stock. I would advice you not to do this.

When you say 'sheen', are you refering to a silky or shiny finish?

Waxing will repel water to some extent and protect the oil finish cracking due to handling or weather.

Mack The Knife
Thanks Rusty,

Even I am not too keen on redoing the whole stock again. Yep, I was talking about a bit shiny finish. It looks a bit dull in its present form.

Can you please recommend any good wax polish available in INDIA?

-Inder

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:21 am

There are some stock renew sprays available for such jobs. Mostly this is sweat from the hands and the cheek that transfers on to the stock. A good wipe with a soft cloth after every shooting session before packing the gun back in its case is usually the best preventive remedy, but of course few of us have time for such elaborate care.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:14 am

Shahid you are right about the wood turning dark where we usually hold it but not in this case - just under the cheek-piece.

It's my fault actually as I should have checked Inder's sanding before staining and oiling the stock.

Inder, there's some wax at home. We will use that as I have not experimented with locally available waxes. Bring the rifle when you come over next. I may go to the range on Saturday but should be back by 2 p.m.. Let me know.

If you want a shinier finish (you tart!), then it would have to be re-oiled after which we buff it very lightly with 0000 grade wire wool or not at all.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:44 am

Inder,

Can you scrape the dark spot with your thumbnail and get it to lighten up? If you can take a closeup it would be nice, from here though it looks like the end grain of the wood might have absorbed more dark finish and that is why it is darker.

for a good wax, just get some paste furniture wax. You will need a toothbrush to clean it out of the checkering.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:26 pm

from here though it looks like the end grain of the wood might have absorbed more dark finish and that is why it is darker.
That's a possibility even if I don't recall staining that area excessively. I still feel it may be due to improper sanding.

Inder, take a close-up or two and post them here before scratching the finish with your finger nail.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:48 pm

shahid";p="13925 wrote:There are some stock renew sprays available for such jobs. Mostly this is sweat from the hands and the cheek that transfers on to the stock. A good wipe with a soft cloth after every shooting session before packing the gun back in its case is usually the best preventive remedy, but of course few of us have time for such elaborate care.

No buddy, Not this one..this is my only foreign airgun. its gets better treatment than my wife... :mrgreen:

-Inder

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi Mack The Knife/Mark

Thanks for the tips. I think its because of sanding the stock against the grain. I will take some pics and post them here.

Rusty, will call you on saturday before dropping in.

-Inder

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:14 pm

Okay. Bring the finishing kit as well.

You should be oiling it once a year.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Mark";p="13938 wrote:Inder,

Can you scrape the dark spot with your thumbnail and get it to lighten up? If you can take a closeup it would be nice, from here though it looks like the end grain of the wood might have absorbed more dark finish and that is why it is darker.

for a good wax, just get some paste furniture wax. You will need a toothbrush to clean it out of the checkering.
Hi Mark,

I can't scrape the dark spot. Here are some closeups.

I think its need some rubbing with iron wool and oiling once more... :?

-Inder