WD 40

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Roland
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: WD 40

Post by Roland » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Check ANABOND products. Made in india and easily available in little containers for approx Rs. 20/- only.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi Abhijeet,
> Tks a ton - I stand educated on Loctite.
> Gone are the days when the chap behind the counter in a hardware shop could advice you on your requirement. These days they just plonk the ware on the table & say help yourself!
> By the way I came across this product "Anabond' - cost Rs.160/ for 50ml. The label mentions that it works as a threadlocker, that can be unfastened with some extra pressure.
Thanks & Cheers
Brihacharan

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Guys,
> Went looking for "Loctite" (blue) and was quoted Rs.450/= for a bottle of 30ml, the hardware dealer told me that it's an original made by Henkel.
> Next stop - another dealer suggested an alternate "Fevifit 33" made by Pidilite - cost Rs.20/= for 15ml.
> Pl. let me know if the price is right for Loctite (Blue) / any experience with Fevifit / is it as good as Loctite?
> Need to thredlock the screws in my IHP35 0.22cal that loosen after every 20 shots - courtsey new spring / seal / tophat / rear guide!!!
Cheers
Brihacharan
I got (red colored) Resimet Thread Locker TL-944 (Dunno what the rating means) manufactured by Resinova Chemie Ltd. (Kanpur based) - INR 15 for (Five) 5ml - at a Thane H/W shop. Used it on AR stock screw and kid's bicycle and Chetak nut-bolts.
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 pm

there is something called rust off or rust nill or whatsoever,works as good.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:there is something called rust off or rust nill or whatsoever,works as good.
Doc, I hope this is not the Rustoleum rust remover. That thing is NOT to be used on anything you value. It contains hydrofluoric acid, and literally BURNS the rust out (and your fingers too, if you are not careful)! Smells like a school chemistry lab, too. OK for rusted shovels, fences, gates, and things like that, but be VERY careful in using it on knives, and NEVER use on guns, airguns, heirlooms, etc. And paint / oil / grease immediately after using this. (written from personal experience, both the heirloom and the fingers :cry: )

Cheers!

EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

MDHASAN
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by MDHASAN » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:27 pm

i am using RUSTLICK , as a gunsmith it working nicely it removes rust and gunpowder and luricate too . :D

maverickwebley
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by maverickwebley » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

I have used almost all products for weapon care But I personally found CRC 556 and CRC Gun Care much superior to WD 40 or Rustlick 631. CRC Gun Care will give you very thin layer lubrication which will last longer and will also not attract dust at the same time. You can get CRC Gun Care @ 700 Per Can approx from Trident enterprises, Mohali, Punjab.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 am

Bruno22 wrote:Something I received via one of those chain mails. Was interesting to read and so i am sharing it. I don't know how true some of it is so please experiment at your own risk. :D

Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40? Don't lie and don't cheat.
P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.
:cheers:
Bruno22
The main ingredient in WD 40 is kerosene and not fish oil, sorry for bursting your bubble.

Regards,

Dev

p.s. And it doesn't work on pigeons either.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:08 am

dev wrote:
Bruno22 wrote:Something I received via one of those chain mails. Was interesting to read and so i am sharing it. I don't know how true some of it is so please experiment at your own risk. :D

Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40? Don't lie and don't cheat.
Bruno22
The main ingredient in WD 40 is kerosene and not fish oil, sorry for bursting your bubble.

Regards,

Dev

Yup, not fish oil!
According the the MSDS, the main ingredient is "Aliphatic Hydrocarbon". Kerosene is a hydrocarbon but ingestion of it can be harmful or even fatal. According to the MSDS, WD40 ingestion has low toxicity. So what exactly is the main ingredient? The company that makes it is not saying.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: WD 40 MORE DOPE

Post by dev » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi,

I am attaching one of the numerous debates on WD 40. It does cover the fact that it has kerosene in it and the fact that airgun seals and o-rings will be damaged by it.

Regards,

Dev

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... 3B%26gt%3B
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 pm

The guy who claims it has kerosene in it, made several incorrect statements in his post.
He claims it was made for the army during WW2 for use in tropical climates. The company claims that it was made in 1953 for the aerospace industry.
He claims it will displace 40 times its own weight in water, hence its name. The company claims it was their 40th attempt to make the product, that resulted in success.
He claims it has silicone in it. The MSDS doesn't mention silicone.
Who knows what else he made up.

While I make no comment concerning his claims of the efficacy of the product, a simple Google search would have allowed him to get his facts straight. Why would I believe a guy on the Internet who can't even bother to check basic facts vs the company that actually makes the product. An MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) is a form required by law which lists hazardous ingredients per a published manual that must be provided to those companies who distribute or use chemical products. Legislation mandates communicating of chemical information to employees. No company is going to lie on its MSDS. If it does and gets caught, the resulting information and fines could be ruinous to the company.

The WD40 Company history
The WD40 MSDS sheet
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 pm

all you need to do is see/feel and smell WD40 to know it is definitely not fish oil.

There are many wd 40 fan sites that claim it works for everything from lubrication to....arthritis. Thats right spray it on your joints and they become less rigid.

Im NOt saying thats true, im saying many people claim that.

Since then, there has been a disclaimer on their literature warning it is not meant for use on humans.

There was an article in the newspaper too saying it shouldnt be used for arthritis.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Unfortunately, WD40 also attracts a lot of dirt and dust, and hence I avoid spraying it on knives (used to do that, but no more). It smells a lot like kerosene, and the best use is to stop creaking noises coming from the hinges of a door. I don't think it removes or prevents rust at all (but I may be wrong). The bottle I have is manufactured by a company called Hardcastle and Waud in India itself.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:45 pm

It smells a lot like kerosene, and the best use is to stop creaking noises coming from the hinges of a door. I don't think it removes or prevents rust at all (but I may be wrong).
:agree: with the last 5 words.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Bruno22
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bruno22 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:50 pm

dev wrote:

Bruno22

Regards,

Dev

Not my bubble bro. As mentioned in my post this was a chain mail I received and also cautioned readers that I do not know if the information was accurate.
I use Sentry Solution products like Tuf Cloth & Marine Tuf Cloth on all my weapons, knives and gear. Does not attract dust and works well to keep the rust away. Its easy to apply and store.
Bruno22
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR.