WD 40

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
pankaj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: WD 40

Post by pankaj » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm

CRC 5-56 is a very good cleaner cum lubricant. I use CRC 5-56 for cleaning of my revolver. It gives protection layer for longer time especially in monsoon days.

Pankaj

For Advertising mail webmaster
hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Guys I recently picked up a small can of WD 40 for about 100 bucks from a hardware store in Bangalore ( seems like its imported) courtesy fellow IFGan Pran.

Last weeekend I tried using it to take off rust from one of my Khukri's and found it to be ineffective.

My IHP air rifle and pistol are mounted on to the wooden plank of my wardrobe and the muzzle plugged with stickers. Until recently I was using the Indian Army Gun Oil which is very gummy and if stored for long periods sediments like hell. This weekend I used the light and heavy combination of GSmith Gun Oil which seemed a lot better than the Army one.

After reading this Interesting article on WD 40 I have a couple of questions/doubts for fellow IFGans based on their experiences...

Can WD 40 be applied to the airguns as a long term rust preventive?

Will WD 40 harm the blueing?

And information on any similar products which attract less dust and protect for longer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best.

VM
Last edited by hellfire_m16 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 pm

hellfire_m16 wrote:This weekend I used the light and heavy combination of GSmith Gun Oil which seemed a lot better than the Army one.
G Smith products are among the best that are available in India. If you are using it then I don't think you need to change your gun oil. I use the same. Here is the link http://www.gsmithco.com/maitenanceequip2.htm
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.