What is the correct procedure for cleaning and maintaining..

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: What is the correct procedure for cleaning and maintaini

Post by axp817 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:14 am

My father takes cleaning supplies to India all the time, and has never had any problems, on international or domestic flights (within the US and India).

Everything is always checked in though, but I am assuming your friend had it checked in too, since they don't allow any liquids in cabin baggage anyway.

-N

For Advertising mail webmaster
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:23 am

Grumpy";p="13470 wrote:Just remember that WD40 is NOT a lubricant.
:?: Are you referring to the WD40 used in diesel engines?

Pran
Last edited by Pran on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:32 am

The locks need very infrequent attention. You probably have two screws on each lock plate to facilitate their removal - buy don`t try to remove them until you have a turnscrew to suit.

When you have removed the lock screws you`ll find that the plates are reluctant to move. DON`T jam a screwdriver under one edge to remove them as you will damage the wood. Use one hand to swing the butt smartly into the heel of your other hand - against the opposite lock plate. Eventually the loosened plate will start to move which will allow you to get hold of an edge. Obviously the second lockplate can be pushed out using the aperture from the first.
Grumpy,

Herewith pics of the side plates and the bottom of the receiver.

RHS plate:

LHS plate:

Bottom of receiver:

As you can see, the RHS lock plate has one slot headed screw and four pins, whilst the LHS plate has two slot headed screws and four pins.

Questions:-

1) At what point should the pins be drifted out?

2) Recommend me a set of hollow ground turn screws for shotguns.

3) What are the screws on the bottom of the receiver for and if I should remove these what internal components would they reveal? Should these be removed for cleaning purposes?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:38 am

Glad to hear that, Naren.

I always suspected that SOB at Jet wanted those solvents and oils for himself as he did not issue a receipt to my friend.

After all, if they can permit, booze, after shave, deodorant in pressurised cans, all of which are flamable, then why this objection to gun oils and solvents.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 am

Mack The Knife,

Don't order anything from Cabelas. There are much cheaper stores like Fleet Farm and I shall be going to Wisconsin next week. WIll pick some up.

And yes, wish me and Mark luck. We're stuck in a difficult project, but, if it works out, we could be in India in two weeks time. :) Be happy to bring this with me. In the meantime, if someone else is coming from here, I shall send a couple of bottles across.

Cheers, buddy!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:15 am

Mehul,

There's quite a bit to order... turnscrews, solvents, oils, cold blue, etc. I don't mind it at all if you can get it cheaper but only if you accept payment for it. Deal?

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 am

Grumpy,

Any tips on how I could clean the metal bits that have engraving on them - lock plates, bottom of receiver, trigger guard, etc.?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 am

DON`T, WHATEVER YOU DO, KNOCK THE PINS OUT !!!!!
You don`t touch the pins Dodger because if you do you will have the lock components loose in the stock. You don`t remove the lock components from the lock plates - you only do so if something breaks. The lockplates are removed and lubricated with the locks in place.
You might find that the forward part of the lockplates are slotted into or behind the receiver.
With this gun you`ll have to remove the lockplate with two screws first........obviously.
Don`t do anything other than a VERY light wiping over with an oily cloth on any of the external metal surfaces of the gun. Anything else will bug*3r the French Grey.
I can`t see if the trigger guard and strap were blued or browned. Bluing is easier but doesn`t look quite so nice. Use Birchwood Casey Blue Remover to get rid of the old finish and polish lightly with 320/400 grade paper to remove the worst of any scarring. Finish with 800 grade. If there is a contest between removing scars and removing engraving always default to NOT removing the engraving. A few scars are inconseqential - losing the engraving is not.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:26 am

You`ll almost certainly find that you`ll have to grind down the faces of the turnscrews as guns invariably have screws made by the gunmaker and not a screwmaker.
A lot of the gunmakers turnscrews being offered - especially those with Teak handles - are made in India ...... and are pretty crappily made from mild steel. Don`t even bother with them as they are a total waste of time.
I have dozens of turnscrews - one set will work on one gun or one make of gun. Old gunsmiths tools sell for a small fortune whenever a set becomes available because so many pieces are required.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:57 pm

DON`T, WHATEVER YOU DO, KNOCK THE PINS OUT !!!!!
Thanks a BILLION for the warning! You can tell I have never opened a sidelock before can't you? ;)

It does not look like the trigger guard and strap were blued. Seems to resemble the finish on the side plates but I could be wrong. There is a partial light goldenish finish on the trigger guard - almost as if the original finsih has worn off to reveal the base coat/finish.

Thanks a ton for the tips, they are really appreciated.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:47 pm

The trigger guard/strap would have probably have been blued or browned but there is usually some evidence of that. The contrast from bluing it would look good anyway and wouldn`t exactly be difficult to do.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:04 pm

Mack The Knife,

Boyds have a very nice kit with blue, wood polish etc in a single gun restoration package which they sell here for less than the price of a one person meal at a middle class restaurant in India. Just ask Inder if you don't believe me - I bought one for the Winchester 69A at Wheaton when we went there together. I'll send you one set and you could buy me a beer when we meet in Bangalore - believe me, I would make a profit if you did! :lol:

The show is on again this Sunday and Amit and I will be going. Will pick a pack up.

Cheers!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Mehul,

Ditch the metal and wood finishes and get me a lot of bore solvent. The rest I will have shipped directly to India.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:14 pm

Rusty, for the bores, I use a Bore Snake after a day of trap. Look it up on line, its very handy.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:19 am

Mack The Knife, Wonder how you're doing with new pre.scription of transoil for Ed's red?

That Hoppe's no.9 will be worth its weight...seing that I cant find that 16 oz bottle at blr...

Other than that, you have a fair amount of elbow grease! Wish I could join you in the rub adub dub :)
While you have been warned about keeping all solvents away from wood, please do remember to wear gloves too?Especially for the nasties like selenium!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."