BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: BEST INDIAN WOOD FOR IOF 30-06 RIFLE STOCK MODIFICATION

Post by Amit357 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Pradyumna wrote:Hi Amit Brother.... I am waiting for your kind gesture.
Hi Prad,it will take a little time,good thing happen to the ones who wait,spoke to Katana the other day,there were some planks i saw,but they were green,the wood wasnt dried out yet,would be pointless to send you the wood all the way when its green,cause if it curls up there it would be useless for you, my place still has a cpl of inches of snow,so getting there is a little problematic right now,will be going next week and will PM you the moment i find the right stuff. :cheers:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:08 am

Thank you Amit Brother... I can wait indefinitely with the patience of a leopard .
Pradyumna

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:57 pm

For all those people who want make their stocks of the following timber such as # Walnut, Oak, Teak, Elm, Sycamore, Maple, Cedar ,an importer in Ludhiana and Maharashtra had imported logs of these varieties and the grains in walnut are of ultimate quality. I personally had a chat with this guy and he will be more than happy to help. http://www.gilltimbers.com/index.html
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 pm

It is very interesting to read the enthusiasm and gusto shown in the various posts about changing the stock of IOF 30-06 rifle. Knowing fully well that except for illusory aesthetics the changing of the wood stock by another wood stock is not going to bring any tangible benefit. If walnut finish is needed then scraping of the original varnish and applying the walnut stainer would do the job.To be followed by spray of matt finish melamine.I wish if possibility of fiberglass stock is explored which is first choice for all target shooting rifles as well as hunting rifles meant for extreme use. This can be done by any shop who provide hard top for Maruti gypsy.I solicit suggestions in this forum.

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Sat May 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Amit Bhai.... I am waiting.
Pradyumna

indigo_indo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by indigo_indo » Tue May 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Well guys i am planning to make a synthetic stock for my .22 rifle and i hope it will look like a Druganov . i have downloaded many rifle pics but the pic from cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Advanced ... fle+stocks

is most suitable according to .22 iof profile. i am using a abs plastic bar 2" thick 8" wide , and one metre long. The main problem is that i am unable to find camel or brown colour , reds and blacks are available in india , though tough but i think it will serve the purpose.

please give me any advice if some one has better option.

regards
If you want peace ; you have to be prepared for war.....

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue May 24, 2011 2:50 pm

hks2056 wrote:It is very interesting to read the enthusiasm and gusto shown in the various posts about changing the stock of IOF 30-06 rifle. Knowing fully well that except for illusory aesthetics the changing of the wood stock by another wood stock is not going to bring any tangible benefit. If walnut finish is needed then scraping of the original varnish and applying the walnut stainer would do the job.To be followed by spray of matt finish melamine.

I wish if possibility of fiberglass stock is explored which is first choice for all target shooting rifles as well as hunting rifles meant for extreme use.

This can be done by any shop who provide hard top for Maruti gypsy.I solicit suggestions in this forum.
Talking of 'plain ' wood-not laminates:
The last I read ,IOF has used 'crate quality' PINE for their IOF.I dont know what exposure to rifles (or accuracy) you have, but soft wood will crack with recoil, wood to metal fit will wander, accuracy will also be an 'illusory aesthetic'
thats why 40 year old air dried walnut is worth its weight in gold to a stock maker.The harmonics of walnut seem to be tailor made to recoil, amongst other things- record player pick up arms are some of the other things which benefit from walnut- mentioned here en passant.
There are certain aspects of fine tuning accuracy; like pillar and stock bedding, which are used for stocks, synthetic ,laminate and wood.Combined with action sleeving, action bedding etc can give accuracy of 2 inches at 1000 yards
Hope that helps break your illusion of " not going to bring any tangible benefit" ??
Now, talking of synthetics and laminates, thats another story altogether.These stocks are lighter, cheaper and terribly strong,not to forget colours and designs and shapes that can be straight from an LSD dream.
Check out the stock shapes and colours offered by boyds stocks or richardsmicrofit

Fibre glass is NO MORE the first choice of target shooters.Laminates,synthetics and carbon fibre et al have stolen a very long march.The last two F class rifles I had were laminate and synthetic respectively. There are even FULL METAL stocks , for target type rifles.
Same for Extreme hunting rifles-you dont want to be carrying a 11lb fibreglass stocked rifle, hunting Mongolian Dall sheep at 20000ft, do you?
Yup, fibre glass is heavy...
a 7 lb titanium action and carbon fibre stocked 300 magnum is more like an extreme hunting rifle.IMHO.
Same goes for the part about any Maruti hard top maker making Fibreglass stock-I think you mean its easy to get the mold and a cast of an existing stock made.What about the inletting? Do you have any personal experience doing this, or is it (another) well meaning guess?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm

If you have good contact in Kashmir (Waulnut) lumber is available but at decent price. otherwise go for compact grain M.P teak .Shesham (Tahli) is used widely in Punjab though its heavy.
Somebody told me that gunhouse people also procure walnut lumber from Arunachal pardesh.

rp,

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Knowing fully well that except for illusory aesthetics the changing of the wood stock by another wood stock is not going to bring any tangible benefit.
I find this factually incorrect. In addition to everything guru eljefe has said, changing stock can also result in the new stock resulting in a better fit. please also note that fitting is not just for shotguns. It is quite (if not as much) important in a rifle too.
I wish if possibility of fiberglass stock is explored which is first choice for all target shooting rifles as well as hunting rifles meant for extreme use.
+1 on eljefe
This can be done by any shop who provide hard top for Maruti gypsy.
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Good one.
I do apoligise on behalf of eljefe. He took it literally not realising you were joking. To avoid such confusion in the future, you may either post in the 'humour' section or accompany them with a smiley like ":wink:" or such similar clues.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:39 pm

:banghead:
Shooter-first the stock gyan, then barrels . wonder whats next? gents been surfin for too long...

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Eljefe, i finally get what you meant in your other posts when you mentioned maruti hard top.

I had missed all these wonderful posts and thought i was getting slow and not getting your jokes.

(but not slower than you for not getting the above mentioned joke).
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by farhan.lateefi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:40 pm

hi,

can walnut or maple blanks be imported?

regards
Fl
''The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."

Patrick Henry

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:53 pm

farhan.lateefi wrote:
can walnut or maple blanks be imported?
Untreated wood import is a no no. I gave up trying to ship a good piece of walnut. I am told it is to prevent inadvertent pest/disease sneaking in.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:16 pm

why untreated jhamela? check out boydsstocks or richards microfit.Boyds will send you a decent stock for less than USD100-excluding post. Some times you get bargains for lesser. BUT. dont muck around too much with the inletting.Very good stuff for upto and including 458.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 pm

hamiclar01 wrote: I gave up trying to ship a good piece of walnut. I am told it is to prevent inadvertent pest/disease sneaking in.
Ship it from India or to India?

Yes,untreated is a bit of a problem but the treatment is quite simple and there are different norms set out for every country. Not at all complicated but why bother when you can get ready stocks as pointed out above.