bluing help needed..........

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
savage
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

bluing help needed..........

Post by savage » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:51 pm

hey guyz can anybody help me in telling what is bluing of a gun pls help as i am a novice in this forum :stupid:

For Advertising mail webmaster
nikhilsharma
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: bluing help needed..........

Post by nikhilsharma » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Bluing is a passivation process in which steel is partially protected against rust, and is named after the blue-black appearance of the resulting protective finish. True gun bluing is an electrochemical conversion coating resulting from an oxidizing chemical reaction with iron on the surface selectively forming magnetite (Fe3O4), the black oxide of iron, which occupies the same volume as metallic iron[citation needed]. Black oxide provides minimal protection against corrosion, unless also treated with a water-displacing oil to reduce wetting and galvanic action.

In contrast, rust, the red oxide of iron (Fe2O3), does not occupy the same volume as iron, thereby causing the typical reddish rusting away of iron. Both "cold" and "hot" oxidizing processes are called bluing, but only the "hot" process provides any significant rust and corrosion resistance, and then only when also treated with an oiled coating.
Peace,
Nikhil
"Ours not to reason why, Ours but to do and die" - Lord Alfred Tennyson

savage
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by savage » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:08 pm

thank you you have been so informative but can u tell me where it can be done near nagpur?

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:12 pm

had done cold bluing to my pistol.did not come out very well but with practice anyone can.first try with some steel.once you are sure of the procedure,you proceed with the bluing.do post pictures before and after.

RamMani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by RamMani » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Dr.,
Please provide the required materials and the procedure..........
had done cold bluing to my pistol

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Ram Mani,
materials are easy,
60ml Nitric acid
40 ml Hydrochloric Acid
How strong? I guess lab strength? or, about as strong as you get
Dissolve as many iron nails in this -might take a few days for the nails to dissolve-put 1-2, see how long they take, to dissolve completely.Then add a couple more.Or add a dozen.IRON nails.Try the farriers or the guys who shoe horses or oxen
its the application:
remove old finish-using a grinder and various buffing wheels /grinding soaps
boil the metal part in distilled water for hours, removing all trace of oil
Apply the above 'masala mix'. watch the red coating appear. hang to dry in bath room , use immersion heater in a bucket and boil away until bathroom is nice and full of steam. needs a lot of humidity for the rust to form.
Then use fine wire wheel to polish the pasrt. Boil. Apply masala mix, dry in steamy bathroom...
you get the story? may take 3-12 coats.
After final, well distributed coat, dip in oil overnight.Any oil.preferably used gear box oil ROTFL
The buff and polish
This is called HOT blue
cold blue?
simple
heat hydrogen peroxide in a glas beaker, in microwave-remove, add SEA SALT, not your anti thyroid ,iodine added Tata salt
dissolve as much as you can.
at same time, heat part to be treated after removing all traces of oil with acetone.
apply cold blue 'masala mix' -coat it, to metal, watch instant black appear. This too needs to be done 2 more times, depending on your initial treatment of the part.
For all bluing, remember, OIL is your biggest enemy, use a good solvent like acetone, the for good measure, boil the meta lpart in distilled water for a few hours.
As always, equipment and technique is beyond my control and I take no liability, express or implied for the results,damage, injuries.
:cheers:

and there are interesting things you can do with dry cell batteries...: wink: after you get good at this masala mix
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Savage,

bluing is a delicate and complicated and risky process and you need to have experience to get a perfect finish. There are many ready made cold blue mix available in the market, you can use any of them , if you are DIY type person. Since you claimed yourself as novice , I will recommend you to go to any gun shop and let them do the job. usually all gun shop provide bluing service. Also there is a member called mdhasan in this forum, you can contact him, he has some ready made cold bluing solution available.

Hope this helps.
Saptarshi
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:47 pm

to_saptarshi wrote:Savage,

bluing is a delicate and complicated and risky process and you need to have experience to get a perfect finish. There are many ready made cold blue mix available in the market, you can use any of them , if you are DIY type person. Since you claimed yourself as novice , I will recommend you to go to any gun shop and let them do the job. usually all gun shop provide bluing service. Also there is a member called mdhasan in this forum, you can contact him, he has some ready made cold bluing solution available.

Hope this helps.
Saptarshi
+1,Savage go with this,we people in India can easily afford the services of a Gun Smith,we pay for the package,and are not charged by the hour as in US,Europe,etc,etc,.Remember its a complicated and risky process and with guns costing the moon and stars here,its better to be Pound wise and penny foolish, :cheers:

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Eljefe,

You forgot about dissolving the masala mix in water.I am sure if he applies it as it is,it would lead to severe heart burn :wink:

savage
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by savage » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 am

guyz,
I live in a small town,and i do not have access to a good gunsmith. While there are a plenty of mistry typo people i wont go there so its better to DIY . And yes thankyou for the technique nd the procedure, greatly told, as mentioned above does the mixture require diluting?? If yes then to what ratio??

Regds,
Ranveer

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Savage Birchwood Casey has a liquid called TRUE BLUE,most of the Gun Stores have it,its pretty Self explainable ,try it,you might see a cpl of them for sale in the Sale section, :cheers: ,
PS;Pray what are you reblueing :?:

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Try BC Plum Brown and boil the part before carding.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm

savage wrote:guyz,
I live in a small town,and i do not have access to a good gunsmith. While there are a plenty of mistry typo people i wont go there so its better to DIY . And yes thankyou for the technique nd the procedure, greatly told, as mentioned above does the mixture require diluting?? If yes then to what ratio??

Regds,
Ranveer
Oh my doodness! :oops: I was trying to type coherently and look what happened. YES YES YES. dilute
masala mix 1 (hot blue) 1:10 with distilled water,and apply that.Last I remember of chemistry class (just before i was thrown out for trying to nitrate some "exotic stuff" in an ice bath), add Acid ( masala mix) to water. not the other way around.Always.
Winnie was being a lil coy about heartburn. I wouldnt want to be within about 2 continents of you, when you stood there and applied the MM1 and watched your prized pistol break out into a case of 'metallic' leprosy, dissolve to rust and fall away.Tom & Jerry, Kya ? :shock:

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

savage
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by savage » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Amit357 wrote:Pray what are you reblueing :?:
Amit sir,
I am trying to reblue my old old yet faithful air rifle

Regds,
Ranveer

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 pm

savage wrote:
Amit357 wrote:Pray what are you reblueing :?:
Amit sir,
I am trying to reblue my old old yet faithful air rifle

Regds,
Ranveer
Suggest you use the cold blu masala mix on this one. OIL removal is essential.
If you have the time, start with 320 gr wet and dry sand paper, careful when you have to sand over the writing/ engraving, get all the blue off .then move upto 600 grade sand paper.

let us know how you decide to go and I'll try and help you out.
Pics will be great