Self Service of Air Rifle

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Ganesh TT
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Self Service of Air Rifle

Post by Ganesh TT » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 pm

Friends

I have my Canon LG 65 and my gun barrel getting rust for past few months. Tell me how to remove those rust without damaging the my gun barrel.

Note: Im a fresher for this site. help me !!!!!!!!
:cheers:

Ganesh
Thanks

GANESH TT

For Advertising mail webmaster
abhrankash
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Self Service of Air Rifle

Post by abhrankash » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 am

Dear Sir,

If we will talk of removing the rust there are various products in the market to remove rust in our manufacturing industries we use rust leak to unscrew various rusted parts of machine so in my opinion you can use that and wipe the rust with good quality water paper and then get it painted (bluing) to get the original finish of the barrel as it was earlier.

In some blogs also I have seen some IFG members are talking of cold bluing agent this paint is available with some members also so kindly contact them for more details.

After that apply some gun oil either of 32 grade or 62 grade to avoid rust and keep it away from moister and play a safe practice.

If you can get some silica gel packet and keep it inside your rifle box as silica is a desiccant it will absorb all moisture inside the box and keep your rifle dry.

Hope this much of information will help you if not please write to me I will try to find some other ways to help you out.
ABHRANKASH

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

Ganesh TT
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ganesh TT » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey abhrankash. Thanks for your reply. I will try to get the all things mentioned by u to keep my rifle safe. Will post anything i require later...

Thanks

GANESH TT

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:51 pm

It is always good to keep the metal parts covered by thin layer of grease or oil.This has to be checked at least once in a fortnight.
To remove rust from the surface it is good to use Scotch Brite with lubricant oil very softly.
Rubbing too hard , may result in removal of original bluing.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Use WD40 with 00 grade fine steel wool to remove the rust. After that an occasional thin coat of WD40 would be suffice for further rust prevention. Gentle rubbing with 00 steel wool wont impact the bluing much , but if the rust is heavy along with pitting then you have to thoroughly remove rust with higher grit /coarse paper, and polish it with fine grade before you reblue it again.
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi