Tricks of muzzle loading

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
sudhakardm
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Tricks of muzzle loading

Post by sudhakardm » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 am

hi

Most of the muzzle loading guns have a problem of delay in firing. Especially when they are loaded and kept idle for a day or two. Any clue to avoid this delay?

sudhakar

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tricks of muzzle loading

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:59 am

It depends, both percussion and flintlock can have relatively fast lock times if operated properly.

With flintlocks, the biggest error is too much priming powder in the frizzen pan. Use just a small trail, it should be below or level with the vent hole in the barrel.

With percussions, my experience has been that slow ignition is more related to quality of caps or powder. Also, even though it seems opposite the bottom of the nipple should have a small restriction as opposed to a funnel shape.

Something that can help is to make a tool from a ball point pen (retractable one). Take it apart, and drill the hole in the bottom so it is a tight fit on the nipple. Now take some powder and put it in a tablespoon and use a teaspoon to grind it up into powder. Put this into the pen, and before you put the cap on stick it over the nipple and jiggle it a second. Now put your cap on. This helps reliability and might help the ignition time.

Carve a little wood peg to fit the bottom, and glue the push button on the top so it won't leak there either.

Mehul and I have shot muzzle loaders together, both sidelock and inline, and he will attest they have a lock/ignition time similar to metallic cartridges.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:12 am

Sudhakardm,

Mark was the friend who got me shooting muzzleloaders after a hunt on his property in late 2005 and now I am hooked. Everyone needs a friend like him to show them the finer things in life! 8)

I have shot Mark's traditional muzzleloaders as well as my Knight inline and there is hardly any real difference between them and a modern rimfire or centrefire rifle in the field. I must confess that I am much more attracted to shooting muzzleloaders these days than I am to modern rifles. Some may think this an eccentric taste but those who have tried would know why I got so easily addicted to it.

Anyone who wishes to shoot my ML is welcome to do so if they visit Chicago. Just forget about the theory part of this business. Start shooting MLs and you would see why this is one of the fastest growing segments within the shooting sports. The slow and methodical loading of the rifle, the careful priming, aiming and then shooting it are something that bring the mind close almost to meditation. The cloud of smoke after you fire an ML are great fun as well, leaving you looking through the smoke to figure out where your shot landed. There must be a Zen koan somewhere that talks about this. I'll post it if I find it someday. :D

I find that the whole process is extremely calming and that I shoot a muzzeloader much better than a centrefire rifle because of this. Mark even casts his own bullets and I have several of the 320 grain flat points that he cast for me - yet another calm and meditative part of this superb sport.

Welcome to muzzleloading and do keep us posted on your experiences! 8)

sudhakardm
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sudhakardm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:46 am

Hi

I started my shooting experience in a muzzle loading gun. I know people who shot wild bores by muzzle loading guns but some one have burnt their eye brows as well. Totally it is a good experience

sudhakar
Thanks
Sudhakar

 SAVE TREES

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 am

Owned a Cap & Ball revolver Colt 1860 replica Italian made sold by Traditions a couple of years ago.

Needed to be cleaned properly and one cap fired through each chamber before loading. Then load packing powder very tightly behind ball. Ignition was instant if these steps followed. With spare cylinders it was one heck of a quick shooting gun.

Sold it because did not like the ASAP kind of cleaning for one and the messy greasing of the chamber required to prevent chain firing.

Was a fun gun to shoot though, accuracy was quite poor compared to modern Pistols.

Would certainly recommend these revolvers for their back in time feeling and awesome good looks, all for $175+ new or much cheaper second hand.

Satpal

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:24 am

I too have an 1860 Colt Army. It has been in our family for about 40myears now.

To say that I have shot it quite a lot would be an understatement!

Never had a need for spare cylinders, that need happens when people watch too many movies. I never have found it to be a bother to shoot either. Accuracy wise, hitting a pop can at 10 M is not difficult and plan to do about 1 in 3-4 shots at 20M.

"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:42 am

Sudhakar,

penpusher has posted somewhere about the government allowing the import of muzzleloaders. If you are interested in muzzle loading, there are some fine guns including double rifles from Traditions and Pedersoli being sold here for very reasonable prices. There are also modern muzzleloaders being made by Savage which use smokeless powder and are as powerful as a 308/7.62 class rifle. Buy yourself one. You would spend vastly less than you would in buying an old gun in India and you wouldn't have to worry about burning your face either when you shoot them.

This is a fantastic sport and it teaches the basics of shooting, reloading etc better than reading any manual ever could.

Cheers!

sudhakardm
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sudhakardm » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:43 am

Thank you mehul for your information. The thing is that, I replaced my muzzle loader with 12 bore a couple of years back. Secondly, due to the weather condition at my place, it should be maitained neatly. it will be ok if i am settled there, and agian license is another issue. So thanks for your suggetion.
Thanks
Sudhakar

 SAVE TREES