New IOF mark lV revolver catch barrel broke

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
tenam
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

New IOF mark lV revolver catch barrel broke

Post by tenam » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Hello Everyone,
I was always fascinated with hand guns and i finally bought a new IOF mark 4 revolver and it has only been two weeks old. I fired twelve rounds ( 12 cartridges) and the catch barrel broke.The catch barrel does not seem to be made of steel. I am really upset and it seems i have to go all the way to the IOF to get the part replaced. Can anyone give me inputs regarding parts availability with dealers. Ppsting pictures of the revolver. Thank you in advance.
Tenzing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: New IOF mark lV revolver catch barrel broke

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Have you contacted your local dealers or IOF itself? May I ask which state are you from?
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:09 pm

This is a very unfortunate and extremely rare incident. It is also a very good case for questionoing IOF 's material used and quality control . It raises some questions also. Is the material used made of cast iron??. Or had the weapon fallen down by mistake unknowningly. It is best to write to the manufacturers ie SAF, MPF or FGF immedietely and inform this matter to the IOF board also. Please record all your corespondences for any future reference. this may be also the first case to reign in IOF and its accountablity and its business etics. IOF does not have a service centre, in all states. It doesdo have a system of redressal of repairs. You have to go all the way to the manufacturer / factory of origin. this is beureaucratic nightmare . I request IFG / NAGRI to start a awareness about IOFs accountability as the nations only civilian arms manufacturer (Shotguns excluded).

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:22 pm

My guess is that the barrel catch was not properly heat-treated. It could have resulted in a more serious accident. Fortunate for the shooter. Since it is new, there must be some sort of warranty? I think contacting the IOF directly and/or the local dealer who sold it to you, if that is the case, should be the first action.

Veeveeaar's advice is good. Keep a record of all your communication.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 pm

If there is warranty it can be repaired free of cost from the first pic it seemed part was already litle broken but it is easily available not so expensive see the grooves if grooves r improper ask for replacement under the law as it will be risky to fire.

Added in 1 minute 45 seconds:
always leave immedatley when u open it do not keep it pressed it is very delicate part but easily available .

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 pm

I’m guessing a part like this can be easily made by a local gunsmith - that will be the most convenient thing to do.

IOF is normally not to fussy with warranty claims though it’s a pain to travel and get it fixed. If you don’t mind the hassle you can write to or call SAF/FGF and they will advise you the next steps.

Disappointing to see such poor quality for a firearm meant to be a self Defense handgun!

Regards
SS

tenam
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tenam » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 am

Vikram wrote:My guess is that the barrel catch was not properly heat-treated. It could have resulted in a more serious accident. Fortunate for the shooter. Since it is new, there must be some sort of warranty? I think contacting the IOF directly and/or the local dealer who sold it to you, if that is the case, should be the first action.

Veeveeaar's advice is good. Keep a record of all your communication.
Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions. I am very careful with the weapon and have never dropped it. I also make sure that i grip the weapon in a proper way. The catch barrel looks like it is made of cast iron and definately not steel. I called up the factory in kanpur and theh said i have to get the revolver and they would change the part for free.
Before calling the factory i tried a number of times calling up the shop in Kolkata from where i bought but but no answer.
Would anyone know where i could get a custom catch barrel made of proper steel. The hassel of getting a permit to take the revolver to kanpur is a big headache. Thank you.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm

tenam wrote:
Vikram wrote:Would anyone know where i could get a custom catch barrel made of proper steel. The hassel of getting a permit to take the revolver to kanpur is a big headache. Thank you.
If you are closer to Dimapur, Moa Longkumer is one of the best gunsmiths in the country.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Where are you from ?. As suggested by other forum members, please reveal your location so taht any of us candirect you to a good gunsmith nearby. I think if you have the persistance, you can sue IOF for a heafty sum. You wil be doing a great service to the nation
JAI HIND

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Breaking of these levers is very common. Also the small leaf spring that pushes this lever back in place breaks frequently. Another common problem in iof revolver is that the various screws gets loose and gets lost.

These levers are available in market ranging from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 4,000 depending on quality and who's selling them.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

tenam
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tenam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:32 am

Vineet wrote:Breaking of these levers is very common. Also the small leaf spring that pushed this lever back in place breaks frequently. Another common problem in iof revolver is that the various screws gets loose and gets lost.

These levers are available in market ranging from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 4,000 depending on quality and who's selling them.
Thank you Vineet and all the members for your inputs. I am from Sikkim and the closest place to go for me would be Kolkata. I have another picture show you all. I am not sure whether it is just machining or a crack. The colour came off by itself. There seems to be a faint line on the sides too. I just hope it is just machining mark only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trajeev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Trajeev » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 pm

It looks like Gravity Die Casting in Aluminium.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:56 pm

These levers are available in market ranging from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 4,000 depending on quality and who's selling them.[/quote]
Thank you Vineet and all the members for your inputs. I am from Sikkim and the closest place to go for me would be Kolkata. I have another picture show you all. I am not sure whether it is just machining or a crack. The color came off by itself. There seems to be a faint line on the sides too. I just hope it is just machining mark only.[/quote]

As suggested by other members , Sir Better you check this weapon by some expert gunsmith. Your Last picture looks like a Hair Crack, may be I am wrong in this matter. Experts can only guide You better.

Regards
Regards

Shivaji