Information & Suggestion required for bringing a scope

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Information & Suggestion required for bringing a scope

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:07 am

Hi Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Please give me some information and suggestion regarding carrying a riflescope to india(Delhi airport).
Is it legal to carry a scope? Can custom ppl create problem at delhi airport?I am comming Via Emarates(UAE).
I want to bring a Bushnell 9x50 (illuminated)scope(getting at very cheap price from a friend,box packed at 80 USD without mounts) is it a good deal?
Please do suggest ASAP.

Thanx,
Badshah

For Advertising mail webmaster
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:48 pm

Badshah

There will be no problem in bringing a scope... scope dose'nt need any liscense in india so custom will clear you with out any problem.

Danish

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:20 pm

but sum one was telling scope is banned in India(was it a rumor0
danish21";p="7966 wrote: Badshah

There will be no problem in bringing a scope... scope dose'nt need any liscense in india so custom will clear you with out any problem.

Danish
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:18 pm

yes its all rubbish... scopes are not banned in india. No where mention in arms act. You don't need any liscense for a scope so its legal.

Danish

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Information & Suggestion required for bringing a sco

Post by Sujay » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:26 pm

Badshah,

No body , at least in this forum has ever posted that scopes are banned in India. What was discussed was bringing in a scope .The position of bringing in a scope is :-

1) Can bring in one ( at the most two) under baggage rules. This is applicable to you.

2) Cannot import an isolated scope via courier because it is on restricted list of items.

This has nothing to do with Arms Act but related to the clause applicable under ITC ( HS ) classification .See the import policy of this item...90131010
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 am

Thanx for the info dude!!!!!!!!so u r sure dat there would be no problem in bringing one...
Sujay";p="7972 wrote: Badshah,

No body , at least in this forum has ever posted that scopes are banned in India. What was discussed was bringing in a scope .The position of bringing in a scope is :-

1) Can bring in one ( at the most two) under baggage rules. This is applicable to you.

2) Cannot import an isolated scope via courier because it is on restricted list of items.

This has nothing to do with Arms Act but related to the clause applicable under ITC ( HS ) classification .See the import policy of this item...90131010
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:59 pm

Alas i Bought the scope after ur suggestions..now getting ready to come.
badshah0522";p="8003 wrote: Thanx for the info dude!!!!!!!!so u r sure dat there would be no problem in bringing one...
Sujay";p="7972 wrote: Badshah,

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:30 am

Sujay said
The position of bringing in a scope is :-

If the import of rifle scopes is restricted , how is it okay to bring it in your luggage?

Where is the aforesaid exemption to the restriction on the import of rifle scopes, given?

Do remember an article in the news paper about a man arrested at Kolkata airport for bringing in a rifle scope, as it is a restricted item for import.Lots of people bring in rifle scopes and most of the time the customs people don't bother about it, even if told that there is a rifle scope in the baggage,at the same time it does not mean that it is totally legit.

penpusher

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:32 am

Hi penpusher,
Can you give complete information regarding this issue,so know what is your suggestion-Should i bring it with me ?or should i send it through cargo along with sum other house hold items .as i m planning to send them.?
Please advise me ,ii have also heard many ppl bringing scopes along with them but not sure it is legal or not.
Thanks ,
badshah
penpusher";p="8124 wrote: Sujay said

If the import of rifle scopes is restricted , how is it okay to bring it in your luggage?

Where is the aforesaid exemption to the restriction on the import of rifle scopes, given?

Do remember an article in the news paper about a man arrested at Kolkata airport for bringing in a rifle scope, as it is a restricted item for import.Lots of people bring in rifle scopes and most of the time the customs people don't bother about it, even if told that there is a rifle scope in the baggage,at the same time it does not mean that it is totally legit.

penpusher

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:33 am

Badshah,

You are free to make your own choices.I however will never take the risk and nor will I ask somebody to get one for me.It's not worth it.Better to pay the premium they command in India.

However this would apply only if you are just getting a scope.If it's on an air rifle then it seems it's ok.

It would also not apply if you know somebody in the Customs Dept.

penpusher

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:47 am

This a nefarious plot ;-). Might work as my friend sneaked in a gas powered air soft 92f through this route. Personally I recommend the enlisting the help of Messrs. Johnny Walker and Sons ;-).

Regards,

Dev
badshah0522";p="8215 wrote: Hi penpusher,
Can you give complete information regarding this issue,so know what is your suggestion-Should i bring it with me ?or should i send it through cargo along with sum other house hold items .as i m planning to send them.?
Please advise me ,ii have also heard many ppl bringing scopes along with them but not sure it is legal or not.
Thanks ,
badshah

penpusher
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi penpusher!
So it means that Riflescope is not legal in India.We cant mount it and move freely?If the import is banned them may b usage would also b ristricted.
is its ristriction mentioned sum where in Acts,Rules or any official book,?Please do send me if available.
penpusher";p="8225 wrote: Badshah,

You are free to make your own choices.I however will never take the risk and nor will I ask somebody to get one for me.It's not worth it.Better to pay the premium they command in India.

However this would apply only if you are just getting a scope.If it's on an air rifle then it seems it's ok.

It would also not apply if you know somebody in the Customs Dept.

penpusher

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi Dev,,
lol..ya think it is the last way which would definetly work.
Thanks .
dev";p="8230 wrote: This a nefarious plot ;-). Might work as my friend sneaked in a gas powered air soft 92f through this route. Personally I recommend the enlisting the help of Messrs. Johnny Walker and Sons ;-).

Regards,

Dev
badshah0522";p="8215 wrote: Hi penpusher,
Thanks ,
badshah

penpusher

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:48 pm

Badshah,

I think you are only getting confused.Let me try to make things clear.

1.Owning a rifle scope (even if you don't have a rifle)or buying one or selling it is not an offence and is perfectly legal.

2.Only the import of rifle scopes is restricted.

3.Logically speaking,the restriction would apply only on the import of a rifle scope on it's own.If however its fitted on a air rifle or any firearm that has been leagally imported into the country,then the import restriction would not apply as it would be part of that firearm or air rifle.

4.The restriction on the import of rifle scopes is a part of the Import policy of the Indian govt. and is not as per some Act or Rule

Go to this page http://dgft.delhi.nic.in/itchs2006.htm and fill out the ITC(HS) code as 90131010 and you will get the policy on the import of rifle scopes

Spotting scopes,range finders and ordinary telescopes are free for import

penpusher

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:08 pm

penpusher

This is restricted for trade purpose. But if someone brings one scope for individual use then i don't think that its restricted. I my self have bought a scope and i did'nt have any sort of problem. You have to put it in a bagggage. You can't bring it in a handbag. And after all badshah is a shooter and he has a NRAI membership card so i don't think that he will face any problem.

Danish