wax on .22 ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
catfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

wax on .22 ammo

Post by catfish » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi guys,

I have recently got a .22 and when I got the ammo for it, noticed a lot of wax on them. Imported ones had it on the lead part and the KF had it all over. I am used to my 30.06 cartridge so seeing this for the first time was a bit surprised (never used a .22 before). Common sense told me to clean it befor firing, but just wanted to check with those that use .22 to make sure.
Firstly why do they have wax? Secondly, Am I correct in cleaning it before firing?

Thanks

Catfish

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: wax on .22 ammo

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:10 am

Catfish: The wax is there to lubricate the bullet and prevent leading of the barrel. So you want wax on a lead bullet. It won't hurt a thing on the case either, unless there's so much that it impedes chambering the round. Unless that's the case, don't waste your time trying to get the wax off the cartridges. Cheers.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:47 am

I think wax is also for the protection from moisture entering into the case..
TwoRivers";p="62552 wrote: Catfish: The wax is there to lubricate the bullet and prevent leading of the barrel. So you want wax on a lead bullet. It won't hurt a thing on the case either, unless there's so much that it impedes chambering the round. Unless that's the case, don't waste your time trying to get the wax off the cartridges. Cheers.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

vishosingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vishosingh » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:20 am

i always cleaned them before firing ...... i dont like the gooey thing in the action
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:52 am

That may well be the intention with your Indian .22 RF ammo, considering the humid climate. Or it could just be sloppy. Generally, .22 RF ammunition is not waterproof at all, and the wax is strictly for lubrication of the lead bullet. Normally it's a pretty hard wax, and you'd have a dickens of a time trying to get it off, which you shouldn't really be doing unless it interferes with function. When waterproofing is desired, such as for military ammunition, wax is not the waterproofing agent. Come to think of it, .22 RF ammo with lots of soft wax, and stored bullet up at high temperatures, may well allow some of the wax to seep into the case and powder, causing inconsistent performance. Cheers.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:12 am

TwoRivers";p="62566 wrote: ...and stored bullet up at high temperatures, may well allow some of the wax to seep into the case and powder, causing inconsistent performance. Cheers.
... and Indian Ammo from the Kirkee factory is pretty much known for inconsistency.. Maybe this is one reason why :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:52 am

Catfish,

Don't waste your time trying to remove the wax. It is there for a good reason :) . Enjoy your BRNO .

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Is it actually wax? I always thought it was a coat of Oil.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:01 pm

I remove the wax at times...it's pretty easy just take some nail polish remover and apply it to a cloth and one wipe cleans the wax off. Been doing it for years, haven't found much of a difference with the waxed ones. The wax ones at times get difficult to chamber and then I clean them off.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:01 pm

The wax can also be removed by putting all the ammo in boiling water for 10 minutes and later can be dried on a non stick pan or a Microwave .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please Badshah no suicide theories, even with the double smilies. Mod
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

catfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by catfish » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies. I have to head of to bangalore for some christmas shopping. Will be back in a day or two. Once back will take the ammo, this time with wax and see what happens.

badshah, not bad, since I am a humorous guy I did enjoy your on liner. but then there are people out there that might just take you seriously.... all the best

cheers

Catfish

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:16 pm

catfish wrote: ...but then there are people out there that might just take you seriously....
.. Or maybe the smilies are disabled on someone's system :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------