Anybody try a flip up cover on an AO scope?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Anybody try a flip up cover on an AO scope?

Post by Mo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:55 am

This is in reference to scopes where the Objective Bell is rotated for parallax correction.

Wouldn't the Flip Up hinder the parallax adjustments?

Or is there a provision to counter this?

Mo.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Anybody try a flip up cover on an AO scope?

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:12 am

I've had a couple, and it for the most part is not an issue. None of the scopes I've had rotate more than 270 degrees so you just position the cover so it does not run into anything when you turn the objective. It may not point straight up wen dialed in, but that is just a cosmetic issue.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:30 am

Hmmm.. I dont mind it not pointing up. But I feel that the bell rotates almost a full circle and am pretty sure that it'll bump against the action.

But this should not be an issue if the flip ups can be flipped all the way back instead of them standing 90degrees. And I cant seem to find out if the butler creeks go all the way back.

Does that make sense to you?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:04 am

Quite clear Mo,

Here is what I would do-

For a centerfire rifle, set the objective to infinity and put the cap on so that it barely clears the barrel when it is open. Now you have enough adjustment and frankly, for anything other than target shooting it will be "close enough to count"

For an air rifle, turn the objective in the other direction so it is set to minimum distance and put on the cover so it barely clears the barrel too, only now it would be on the other side of the gun.

If you get a proper fitting one, they can slide on and off easily enough to remove or re-adjust them. If one is a bit loose, wrap some electrical tape over the scope until the cap fits.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:45 am

For an air rifle, turn the objective in the other direction so it is set to minimum distance and put on the cover so it barely clears the barrel too, only now it would be on the other side of the gun.
I had a feeling you'd suggest that. The scope wouldn't need to be focused at more than 50 or so yards anyway. So this would be the best option.

Thanks Mark!

P.S: Whats your take on the Butler Creek covers? They seem to have a silent monopoly when it comes to scope covers. Is it cause they make the best ones, or are they the only ones!?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 am

I really like Butler Creek covers, most all of my working guns have them.

The main reason is they were pretty much the first manufacturer to come out with affordable flip up covers. Now there are a few other brands that I am sure make good products too, including Leupold who sell their covers for about $40 EACH, front and rear!

Flip ups are nice as they keep the lenses clean, both in the field as well as in storage. A couple of my guns I only have an objective cover, as when you are carrying them in the rain it seems the eyepiece stays pretty dry and even if it does get wet it is the objective lens that obliterates the picture when it gets drops of water on it. Plus you can always give the eyepiece a swipe with your thumb if need be.

I have seen covers with a clear lens and that would not be a bad feature to have. I missed a nice shot one time when hunting in the rain with the cover on, and jumped a deer but it is not a hugely significant feature.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:21 am

Thanks a lot Mark. That settles it then. Butler Creek it is. At around $10, they seem worth the money.

About the clear covers you mentioned. Its called the blizzard cover. I'm getting that for the objective. The only ones I could find were tinted yellow. But I guess that improves the sight picture or makes it appear brighter. This also fixes my concern about the flip making contact with the action.

Another question. One thing that impressed me about the flip up covers that come as standard on MTC scopes (I saw this on Rusty's Mamba 1.5-6) is the O-ring seal that they have.

Does the butler creek one's have seals?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 am

They don't have an O ring, but there is a small flange cast into the plastic that serves as a seal as well as the catch that holds them closed.

I should have clarified myself on the clear covers, a yellow tint would be fine by me but the main thing is I would not intentionally shoot with them closed except in a few situations, mainly when it is raining and I am hunting and have to take a quick shot. Other than that I am certain mine would get scratched up rather quickly so you can see better without them. Obviously it is not a big enough issue for me to replace my existing covers.

At any rate, I am sure you will be happy with the Butler Creeks.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 am

I hear you.

About the seals, as long as they do the job, its fine. I'm guessing its similar to the flip up covers you get on sipper water bottles.

I'll stick with the normal opaque covers then. I wont ever be out shooting in the rain. Same goes for hunting.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I'll misplace the scope covers one of these days. So a flip up is the best option. Plus its easier to use..

ai

Post by ai » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Bushwhacker makes very good flipup covers.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:04 am

Bushwhacker huh? I'll have a look at those too. Thanks!

ai

Post by ai » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:46 am

Yes, Bushwacker. I've used both- Bushwhacker and Butler Creek. Bushwhackers have a transparent lids. Excellent quality. If you like, you could give me your scope details and I'll get them for you by 15 Jan. If you know the size that will fit, you could of course order online.

A website- http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_ ... ductID=299

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Mo,

I use flip up covers with yellow see through lids on my AO adjustable scope. I've never really had any problem while adjusting them, for reference I'm attaching pictures of the scope with both extreme adjustments (10 and infinity) as well as it's standard setting (15 yards). These covers did come with 'O' rings.

Set at one notch below 10 yards - the lowest setting

Set at infinity - the highest setting

The standard setting I use - 15 yards

An overall view of the scope & mounts with the lids open

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Ditch the idea of using flip-ups and go in for the bikini covers that I use.

They come off in a jiffy, they are malleable and far more comfortable to pocket and last but not least you don't have to worry about objective and ocular bell sizes. They stretch on to most bell sizes and can be easily re-used on other scopes with different bell sizes.

ai

Post by ai » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:08 pm

mundaire";p="58925 wrote:Mo,

I use flip up covers with yellow see through lids on my AO adjustable scope. I've never really had any problem while adjusting them, for reference I'm attaching pictures of the scope with both extreme adjustments (10 and infinity) as well as it's standard setting (15 yards). These covers did come with 'O' rings.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
These appear to be Bushwhackers (on a Deben scope)?