Can we use BBs for IHP-25?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:51 am

I do have a National ( IHP ) 35 which I had purchased in 1996.

When I use H & N pellets and use it like a medium power Air rifle it does quite well.

I need to replace the spring, piston washer and breech seal, after that it will surely shoot better, but these days I have brought a new Diana 35 in .177 and fitted it with a Bushnell 3-9x32 Air rifle scope. I am useing this air gun more these days, the IHP 35 is pendng attention.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:26 pm

There seems to be a bit of confusion on this thread regarding BB's. What are usually referred to as BB's are almost always made of steel, without or without a copper/ zinc/ other metal plating and they are actually SMALLER than the .177 cal rifled bore found in air-rifles, air-pistols. IIRC they are labelled 4.5 mm but their true dia is smaller. Therefore when they are shot through a .177 cal rifled bore they will NOT:

a) Engage the rifling properly, therefore will NOT get a proper "spin" resulting in poor accuracy

b) Will result in a certain percentage of air/ gas escaping from around their sides as they travel through the bore - resulting in lower than expected muzzle velocity.

There ARE lead balls ALSO available as ammunition for airguns, and these come in proper bore fitting 4.5mm dia. But these are not normally referred to as BB's. They are made of lead so will not damage the rifling and there dia is large enough to properly engage the rifling AS WELL AS to ensure that you don't have too much of the air/ gas escaping from the sides of the ball, as it travels through the barrel, to cause significant power loss.

Needless to say, the BB's steel construction means that they WILL wear out the rifling in a barrel much much faster. There are entire discussions in this regards on forums all over the place especially discussing the IZH-Baikal Drozd, which has a .177 cal rifled barrel BUT due to it's finicky loading mechanism the manufacturer recommends the exclusive use of steel BB's to prevent jams.

The solution most people have adopted is to shoot using especially hardened steel after market barrels, or just to simply replace the barrels as they wear out. However, this will not be an easy thing to do in India.

The choices you make are entirely up to you, just hope you can make a more informed choice now.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 am

Dear Sniper,

The dealer in Moradabad does not have any of the BB's or darts in stock. he has assured me he could make em avaliable in the next wk or 10 days.

However the Brass BB's would not be avaliable, they would be Lead with a polished surface, these would be fairly round & uniform.

For the .22 the BB's he's not very sure of them.
But he is arranging for a 100 darts which i have asked him to do.

For your Information the Brass BB's I had bought of him were Manufactured by an Indian made "Bianca" BB hand gun. Have no idea where this is located

Best Regards
Shamsher

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks Shamsher. I shall look around here locally. should be able to find something.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Its not Bianca, its Blanca. The factory is located in Bangalore, and when I visited the place several years ago, an old man whose name I forgot is a RNRI and started this factory following a design of an older gun (Must be the crossman).
Looking at our enthusiasm, he even gifted one peice to us, which we usd for long. Accuracy is so-so. but a nice peice to hold and plink, for the occasional non-serious beginner. Shoots both BBs and pellets.
Available in most hobby shops thru out India, its priced around 2K....
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:08 pm

Here in chennai one of my friend is fooled by an armouery dealer by selling blanca junk for 4.5 k.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------99.9% of the World's Gunners are 100% SAFE.Please do not ruin their reputation by being stupid or using guns in violence!!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 pm

[quote="TenX";p="51100"]
Its not Bianca, its Blanca. The factory is located in Bangalore, and when I visited the place several years ago, an old man whose name I forgot is a RNRI and started this factory following a design of an older gun (Must be the crossman).

Its a copy of an air pistol made by the marksman company. I have it with me for a while thanks to one long eared git. :-). Its nice to play with but doesn't do much power wise.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Yeah right, its the Marksman.... got it confused with the Crossman...
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------