MTC Mamba 1.5-6x42 IR

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: MTC Mamba 1.5-6x42 IR

Post by TenX » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Looks very nice...
Its time I paid you a lunch (or dinner?) visit...
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 am

Mack The Knife,

The scope is obviously defective and a complete waste of money.Send it to me and I will dispose it for you :lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:34 am

Mind you Grumps, there is a lot more flare than what the camera was able to capture.

penpusher, that's what S&B's cost in Bangalore.

Anand, give me a tinkle and come over. I was hoping to make it to the range today but it does not look likely. Perhaps tomorrow.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:59 am

Grumpy, I have been thinking on how this scope could be further improved. Let me know if you agree.

1) Have a straight tubed scope or one with just a slightly pronounced objective bell, say 34mm and definitely not more than 36mm. Either way one will still get an exit pupil of 5mm from the straight tube and 6mm from the 36mm and that would be more than sufficient. I doubt if our old eyes can dilate to 7mm anyway.

2) A reduction in objective bell diameter should consequently lead to a reduction in length (2 to 3") and this would lower the weight and put the scope closer to the receiver. At present, I need a comb raiser to look through the centre of the scope.

3) Make the thinner stadia a little thicker for easier target acquisition during the day or in case the battery runs out of power at night. At the same time I would thicken the thicker stadia by 10 to 20%.

4) Since the ocular bell is big enough, I wouldn't mind the alternative system MTC are using on their larger Mambas for incresasing or decreasing the dot's intensity. This way the rifle stays better supported because the leading/supporting hand stays put.

I know you are looking for a straight tubed scope, so what features would you like on one?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:41 pm

Good review Mack The Knife, very informative without being overly technical for scope noobs like myself! :P I won't ask what you paid for this one - but in stead it would be most helpful if you could let us know what the usual going rate is for one of these? You mentioned "reserving" one for yourself, are they particularly scarce?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:59 pm

fookin A, I had to leave behind a couple of godiva packets for this??
It better be good mate, i have an original zeiss, about '42 vintage with no4 reticle, 4 power fixed. came on my dad's 423 a couple of lifetimes ago.you can have it if i find it on my next trip to blr.
Grumps, the minimum i can get for a weatherby synthetic in 22-250 or 243 is about 675 aud, as much as i would like to start with a 300 wea mag ... :evil: for what I dont know, except that I like the evil kick and the 84 grns of 4350
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:21 pm

eljefe";p="47222 wrote: fookin A, I had to leave behind a couple of godiva packets for this??
It better be good mate, i have an original zeiss, about '42 vintage with no4 reticle, 4 power fixed. came on my dad's 423 a couple of lifetimes ago.you can have it if i find it on my next trip to blr.
Grumps, the minimum i can get for a weatherby synthetic in 22-250 or 243 is about 675 aud, as much as i would like to start with a 300 wea mag ... :evil: for what I dont know, except that I like the evil kick and the 84 grns of 4350
Not up on the previous chit chat, but don't be a scrooge and betta' get yourself a good rifle down under - if not for you... for us 'umble folk who fully well intend to "exploit" your hospitality there! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:00 am

mundaire";p="47224 wrote: Not up on the previous chit chat, but don't be a scrooge and betta' get yourself a good rifle down under - if not for you... for us 'umble folk who fully well intend to "exploit" your hospitality there! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
What with the bad back,the good doctor would definitely require some assistance in using his new toy :lol:

Asif,

Better get one for which you can get ammo here.That means 30-06,8x57,7x57 or 6.5x57. 30-06 ammo is the cheapest and the easiest to get.What I would do is get 12ga and rifle barrels on one frame

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:29 am

penpusher,he wont have any ammo issues Down Under
Asif,take the 450/400,plenty of fodder available for that too,and it is becoming popular by the day
300 WBY is a great choice,though my personal fav for our neck of the woods is 7 x 57

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:47 am

Was talking about when he gets the rifle back home on TR.

Asif,

Should I send you my stock measurements :lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:49 am

Abhijeet, I paid GBP 124.00 for the scope. You can buy the same from BAR or Uttings for GBP 120.00

The scopes aren't rare, it's just that BAR did not have them in stock and I wasn't sure if MTC would have one in stock when my parents went over.

www.mtcoptics.com

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:56 am

Asif, Ruby's off to Jakarta tonight so you will have your Godivas by next week. :mrgreen:

I'd love to use that old Zeiss but we will keep it for the IOF .22lr that Arif is going to apply for.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Added a couple of edits at the bottom of the original post.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Congrats!!! gud peice..
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:40 am

Mack The Knife,
Hope you do well with the Mamba.7mm is a LOt of dilatation for an oldish pupil,5mm is about par.
I have seen a few 'scopes with a straight tube, but they were LER for handguns, in the 1.5x range
that reticle brought back some fond memories-my first 'scope- I must have been about 7 or 8 yrs. Had it with the rings,and incredibly well fitting leather lens caps, for a long time !

Another thing to add to the 300 wby wish list-the foot long muzzle blast after dark :evil:
No more chocs-for Godiva's sake- if we carry on at this rate, i wont be able to afford the kids dental bills.

penpusher, for things that go boom, no bad back ;)
Abhijeet,
between us 'umble folk, there's going to be a lot of FPE :) no fear!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."