.22LR Ammo Allowance?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
clownfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

.22LR Ammo Allowance?

Post by clownfish » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi. Can anyone tell me how many rounds of .22 LR ammo is one legally allowed to buy/ possess in any given year?
thanks in advance.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: .22LR Ammo Allowance?

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:53 pm

There is no fixed number - it depends from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

At times I get the feeling the police think they are the judiciary.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:07 pm

The licensing authority (DCP Licensing/ SDM) will enter (on your license) the number of rounds you can purchase at one time as well as the number of rounds you are allowed to purchase in a year.

By default this number is 25/50 (25 at one time and 50 max per year). If you are a shooter, with competition participation certificates you can have this number increased, I have seen shooters with 2500/5000 and even 5000/10,000 limits on their licenses. For non-shooters the max allowance I have come across is 250/500.

This of course is based only on my own experience and may/ may not be followed by all licensing authorities. Keep in mind, these limits are completely at the discretion of the licensing authority and like Mack The Knife said they vary widely.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

clownfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by clownfish » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:14 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife and Mundaire. Have just inherited a couple of rifles (.22 LR and a .375 Winchester in H&H Mag) from my grandpa. You guys wouldn't know how much ammo for both the above (.22LR and .375 H&H mag) costs in India would you?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:21 pm

Cost of rounds:

.22lr: Between Rs. 10 to Rs. 12 for a Kirkee Factory round. Anything from Rs. 40 to Rs. 65 for an imported round. If you join a club you could buy decent imported rounds for Rs. 5 to Rs. 6 each.

.375 H&H Mag (soft nose): Approximately Rs. 280 per round.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="3069 wrote:If you join a club you could buy decent imported rounds for Rs. 5 to Rs. 6 each.

Do keep in mind the fact that club issued rounds can only be used at the club range and that you will need to deposit the "emptys" at the club before you leave.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:31 pm

Do keep in mind the fact that club issued rounds can only be used at the club range and that you will need to deposit the "emptys" at the club before you leave.
Oops, forgot to mention that even though I had made a mental note to do so. Thanks for mentioning it.

Mack The Knife

clownfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by clownfish » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:36 pm

thanks again guys. had no idea that ammo was that expensive.
one further question- can you recommend any decent clubs in delhi?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:52 pm

Delhi State Rifle Association. Look up their number in the directory.

You may not be allowed to use the 375 H&H Mag as they may be restriciting rifle calibres to .22lr only.

Unfortunately for you, it cannot be used in the 300 metre big bore event either as calibres larger than 8mm or magnum rounds are not permitted.

All the best.

Mack The Knife

clownfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by clownfish » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:04 pm

will get in touch with the DSRA. certainly cant afford to shoot many 12 rupee .22 rounds!

cheers!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:04 pm

Depends on your license. You can say get it endorsed in Delhi for 500/250. Which means 500 a year with not more than 250 in your possession at a time. Whoops I hadn't seen Abhi and Mack The Knife's replies above. I recently bought KF rounds for Rs. 8.50 each at Kashmiri gate. The only .22 range is at Tuglakabad and you need a NRI, Delhi State or SAI membership over there. The Delhi State membership is cheaper Rs.500 yearly.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.