16 bore shot guns

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

16 bore shot guns

Post by sudhaiob » Sat May 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi everyone
this is a true story. A gun dealer from trichy accompanied a broker( they are fairly common in TN) who had promised to show him a shot gun, a 16 bore was shown in good condition and the dealer surpprised at the relative cheap price bought it assuming it to be a 12 bore. he found that it was a 16 only when he tried to insert some 12 bore shot shells in to it. it was subsequently sold off for a discount, probably the first case of a dealer making a loss on a sale.
Regs
sudhaiob

For Advertising mail webmaster
ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: 16 bore shot guns

Post by ebenezer » Sat May 31, 2008 5:27 pm

This reminds me of my dad's earlier weapon, an SBBL, which was 16 bore but chambered for 12 bore. Due to heavy load (a repacked cartridge) the gun blew up, with the body actually torn and the chamber portion twisted out of shape. This weapon was purchased from a dealer in Cuddalore by my uncle, who later sold it to my father. The weapon was finally condemned.

ebenezer

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat May 31, 2008 6:20 pm

A 16 bore was rechambered to take 12 bore cartridges ? Bizzaire. Unsafe, dangerous.

I am sure no proof house will allow such a modification.

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Sat May 31, 2008 6:35 pm

shahid";p="44770 wrote: A 16 bore was rechambered to take 12 bore cartridges ? Bizzaire. Unsafe, dangerous.

I am sure no proof house will allow such a modification.
Don't know who modified it and how. Infact, there was nothing engraved on the weapon, except for the barrel no. and trigger no. Heard from a gunsmith that it is done by grinding the chamber in a lathe machine. This actually makes the chamber weak. This had been done since 16 bore cartridges were scarce. Also the entry in the cash receipt read SBBL gun and the bore wasn't mentioned. The licence too had the same entry.

raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by raj » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 pm

12bore means :12 lead pellets of diameter equal to barrel diameter wud weigh exactly one pound...
16bore means:16 lead pellets of diameter equal to barrel diamete wud weigh exactly on pound....
hence,bore size of a 16bore is smaller than 12bore..
my brother owns a greener 16bore..amazin weapon...
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"