Scope import experiences - via post/ courier route

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Scope import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by AnandNair » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Ongoing saga of my rifle scope import :roll:

I had wanted to buy the Leapers 3-12x44AO Accushot SWAT Rifle Scope, EZ-TAP, Il since the day i saw it and tried ordering thru Pyramid air and also thru Optics planet but was refunded saying US export restrictions. So i went ahead and ordered one thru Ioffer .com which cost me Rs. 11,386.13/- incl shipping. It was dispatched promptly thru USPS in 10 Nov 14.
About a week and half later i got a letter from the commissioner of customs office, Chennai Postal appraisal department, asking me for purpose of import, invoice etc which i promptly dispatched.
Received another letter from their administrative officer after a week asking me to provide details of license of my fire arm and that i will have to pay 'charges' for getting the scope verified from the Forensics department whether it is covered under arms act etc and to give authority letter from relevant authority allowing me to import the scope.
In Dec i replied back to the admin officer (PAD-air) chennai saying that i do not hold any firearm, that the rifle scope is for a airgun, that i fall in the exempt category for holding a firearm without license and also as per G.S.R.991 schedule II para 8 i am authorized to import Rifle sights. Also wrote directly to the Forensic department on the "Charges" mentioned in postal dept letter. also sent a 'authority letter' for import of the scope :P
Forensics replied in the affirmative on exemption granted to me and that there is no need for 'testing' the rifle scope by them. I dispatched a copy of the forensic dept letter to the postal customs.
Last week again got a letter from the Admin officer of chennai PAD addressed directly to the person who authorized me by letter on His authority to give me authority letter :roll:
I have sent them a reply along with the relevant extracts of G.S.R.991 Schedule II para 8 that clearly states that i am exempt from all provisions of the Arms act in importing a rifle sight which also says who can give the authority for such import.
Now waiting for their reply.
:P why do i have the feeling that the Postal appraisal department is unnecessarily harassing me and i may have to send a Legal notice? :P

-will keep updated on further developments. p.s three riflescope that i had obtained from aliexpress have reached me before without any problem, albeit not thru chennai postal customs.
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Scope import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by AnandNair » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:27 am

Got the scope released after a wait of almost 3 months. Had to finally speak to a friend in a different customs dept who went over and got the scope released since all documents were in order. It was shipped to me and in my hand the very next day. :roll: Charged 50% Duty on the scope. (Rs.5.6k).
So.... All those who are importing and their product lands in Chennai Postal Customs... Best of Luck.. you will need it in loads, or someone who can get it released. :x
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.