advice wanted on hunting gear (clothing)

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

advice wanted on hunting gear (clothing)

Post by shooter » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:23 am

hi!
wanted some advice re: clothing esp from our american members.

i have used prologic max 4 parka and bibs( www.prologicfishing.com) for waterfowling and it is well suited for the winters in nothern england/yorkshire esp when one has to spend long hours outdoors without any cover.

I was thinking of buying some stuff from usa as it is cheaper there. but visiting cabelas website has left me confused as there are hundreds of products available and all seem to be good. readers reviews also didnt help much as one gets mixed replies.

I am looking for the following characteristics (in that order)
warmth+ dry (last hunt in -8.5 deg. C Plus winds; in a river estury+ mud)
good camo
Should have an inner pocket to hold cellphone
silent
i have shortlisted the following items. would be greatful for any reviews/comments/suggestions.
(is there any other site i should be looking at?)

1 Cabela's Late Season® Parka - Regular Item:UH-930886 (mossy oak new break up)
2 Cabela's Ultimate Suede™ Weather-BLOCK™ 4-in-1 Parka Item:7IS-931205 (mossy oak new break up)
3 ArcticShield® H3 Parka Item:XH-960255 (mossey oak new break up)
4 Walls® Legend Insulated Coat Item:IJ-960409 (Realtree AP HD)
(note: omitted jackets on purpose as i want a long parka/coat)

bibs:
Cabela's Ultimate Suede™ Weather-BLOCK™ Insulated Bibs Item:7IS-931208

Ive never tried coveralls. does anyone have experience of using coveralls? do i still need to wear a jacket on top?

waders:
1 Cabela's Roaring Fork™ Neoprene Wader Item:IJ-811200 (felt soles)
2 Cabela's 3mm Neostretch™ Neoprene Chest Waders with Lug Soles - Regular Item:IJ-830650

wanted to ask if lug soles or felt soles have any distinct advantages/ disadvantages. What about "stockingfoot waders? are they any good?

is there anything else im missing out ?(am considering buying a facemask)

would appreciate any input.
regards
shooter.

P.S. im not visiting usa personally so will be ordering online/ asking someone to pick it up for me.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: advice wanted on hunting gear (clothing)

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:03 pm

In regards to other sites, bass pro shops and Gander Mountain are good ones. I'll post more when they come to me.

I like coveralls for still hunting, if you are moving around separate pants and jackets are preferable to me. Do not get me wrong, I hunt in coveralls every year and I even do have a thin pair I use bow hunting but in general if I am moving more than sitting I will not wear them unless the temp is less than 0C. And even between O and -5 I will most likely wear pants and a jacket. However for still hunting in the cold nothing beats coveralls IMHO.

Regarding waders, I have never used felt soles. I am told they work good in rocky streams with fast moving water where there is no mud. I tried the stocking foot waders once and didn't like them as you now have an extra pair of wet shoes to deal with. So the lug soled waders win by default with me.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 pm

These are one of the best value for money hunting suits you can get in UK.Made by the Finnish company Jahti Jakt.

http://www.arcticoutdoor.co.uk/store/in ... f663953fed

http://www.arcticoutdoor.co.uk/store/Pr ... info1.html

You need to remember that getting stuff from USA involves import duty and VAT.Or if you will have someone bring them over to you,try this

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/4361 ... -Gear.html

Fantastic deals. :wink:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:43 pm

You`ve just missed out on some fantastic bargains as regards camo gear in the UK ...... but I won`t make you cry by saying how good a deal. Vikram and I took advantage.
Deben make a very good range of camo gear which isn`t cheap.....but not expensive either when compared to some of the products out there.
I prefer lighter weight camo gear - triple laminated cloth - as it`s less restrictive on movement compared to the heavyweight clothing and layers can be built-up underneath if more warmth is required.
Mossy Oak Break Up is a three season ( spring, summer, autumn ) pattern in the UK as it`s rather bold and bright for winter use. The Advantage Realtree is very similar but more muted and better for winter use. Being a flash bug*3r I have both........Took advantage of the crazy prices in that sale !
Klobba make some very good value waders. Not camo but dull green - see EBAY UK.
Avoid the very cheap camo gear as it is made of a plastics material, makes a heck of a racket and makes you sweat terribly.
Invest in a pair of neoprene lined wellies. Keeps your feet warm and give good grip. Muckboots are good......and much less expensive than very pricey French wellies or Hunters. Don`t get less than 2mm lining. York guns sell Muckboots.
Please take good gear of your new gear.......I managed to get a load of blood on my Browning jacket and didn`t notice when I chucked it in the shed. Couldn`t get the stink out ! Over £180 and ruined.
Facemasks ? Vikram and I both have camo balaclavas. Dunno that I`ll be able to get used to it. Useful for Woody shooting and wildfowling.......and for terrifying little children and old ladies !
Don`t forget to get camo gloves - non-camouflaged hands really spook prey as they are vey obvious.....especially as ones hands move.
As Vikram says, when importing items from the USA you are liable for carriage ( NOT cheap ) plus Import Duty plus VAT at 17.5% on the total amount - on the capital cost, carriage and duty. All adds up and is rarely worth the effort as the cost often nearly doubles.
Last edited by Grumpy on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:38 am

thanks guys, found someone comin to uk next month willing to get stuff for me now i guess customs vat etc are out of the equation.
is it ok to go for us products?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:01 am

You HOPE Duty and VAT are out of the equation - if your friend gets stopped by customs he will still be liable.......plus penalties if they are in a bad mood !
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Nan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:54 am

Grumpy";p="40301 wrote: You`ve just missed out on some fantastic bargains as regards camo gear in the UK ...... but I won`t make you cry by saying how good a deal. Vikram and I took advantage.
Deben make a very good range of camo gear which isn`t cheap.....but not expensive either when compared to some of the products out there.
I prefer lighter weight camo gear - triple laminated cloth - as it`s less restrictive on movement compared to the heavyweight clothing and layers can be built-up underneath if more warmth is required.
Mossy Oak Break Up is a three season ( spring, summer, autumn ) pattern in the UK as it`s rather bold and bright for winter use. The Advantage Realtree is very similar but more muted and better for winter use. Being a flash bug*3r I have both........Took advantage of the crazy prices in that sale !
Klobba make some very good value waders. Not camo but dull green - see EBAY UK.
Avoid the very cheap camo gear as it is made of a plastics material, makes a heck of a racket and makes you sweat terribly.
Invest in a pair of neoprene lined wellies. Keeps your feet warm and give good grip. Muckboots are good......and much less expensive than very pricey French wellies or Hunters. Don`t get less than 2mm lining. York guns sell Muckboots.
Please take good gear of your new gear.......I managed to get a load of blood on my Browning jacket and didn`t notice when I chucked it in the shed. Couldn`t get the stink out ! Over £180 and ruined.
Facemasks ? Vikram and I both have camo balaclavas. Dunno that I`ll be able to get used to it. Useful for Woody shooting and wildfowling.......and for terrifying little children and old ladies !
Don`t forget to get camo gloves - non-camouflaged hands really spook prey as they are vey obvious.....especially as ones hands move.
As Vikram says, when importing items from the USA you are liable for carriage ( NOT cheap ) plus Import Duty plus VAT at 17.5% on the total amount - on the capital cost, carriage and duty. All adds up and is rarely worth the effort as the cost often nearly doubles.
Hi, Grumpy, Image

Do you refer to the jacket Vikram was wearing in Edgehill?

Nana
Last edited by Nan on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:36 am

Er...........no............
He wasn`t wearing camo.
( Terry Pratchett )

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:31 am

or if he was wearing cammo, then that would explain why u did not see him. :lol:

nagarifle

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Har di Har..........good point though..........except that he wasn`t wearing camo.
Nagarifle, have you turned Maltese.......or become a Knight Templar ?
( Terry Pratchett )

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:07 pm

nay they wount take me, so i got me a shield to ward of any sniper fire
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.