Cleaning old rifle ammunition

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Cleaning old rifle ammunition

Post by art_collector » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:36 pm

I have been collecting obsolete rifle ammunition . Recently while showing my collection to some one I found quite a few of the brass cartridges were tarnished. The person inspecting the cartridges advised me to polish the brass cases with bronze wool and then apply sani wax. Just been wondering where would I find bronze wool ( told me dont try steel wool)and what exactly is sani wax.

AC

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Cleaning old rifle ammunition

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 am

Bronze wool is found where they sell materials to work on boats.

Having said that, I find nothing wrong with using very very fine steel wool- I think the designation is 0000- to clean bullets. Use it with a furniture polish and it will get them very shiny. Or you can borrow your wifes can of brass or silver polish and use that with a cloth if there is no green corrosion.

If you can't find any of that, you can also use worcestershire sauce or plain catsup on a rag.

The important this is however you clean them, you must put something on afterward to prevent corrosion from re-occurring. You can either use an automotive paste wax or similar, but what I think is best is to spray it with a clear lacquer.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:46 am

Collector,

I am into manufacturing of industrial heating elements. One of my clients is into manufacturing ultrasonic cleaning equipments. Recently he has developed cleaning equipments to clean guns too. More info is given in his website. The url is given below. The equipment is not that expensive. This equipment could be of use to you since you are a collector. Check it out and if you want me to put in a word for you for some discount and stuff, I will be more than glad to.

http://www.sidilu.net/
http://www.sidilu.net/ultrasonic-gun-cleaning.htm

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:26 am

What I do is use Scrotch Brite(*) - with a little Brasso and that works just fine. The first thing to do would be to apply a coat of Brasso on the item and leave it for a min or so till it dries, after that moist the Scrotch brite with brasso and shine away.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:20 pm

I remember reading (was it handloaders digest/handguns digest??) about a contraption consisting of a vibrating dish which was filled with coarse stone/marble chips (the kind you get to fillup the aquarium) The shells were then chucked into this contraption and then voila!

Jonah

Hokhay! I took the trouble to lookit up and it's in the Handloaders digest 1997. The contraption is called the "vibrashine"
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:38 am

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for the going through the handloaders digest . But I have tried a similar thing before (coarse sand)but ended with some terrible scratches on the ammo.

AC

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:07 am

Jonah,

you are remembering a vibratory polisher. You can make them with a motor and eccentric weight and a plastic bucket. Attach the motor to the bottom of the bucket, let it hang from a rope by its bail, and put your cases and polishing compound inside and plug it in.

I have a commercial version of that, except mine sits on a base instead of hanging by a rope.

Popular media to use to polish cases is ground corn cobs or crushed nut shells. You then can add a polish like a good squirt of automotive car polish or a little bit of jewelers rouge.

If I were to make one, I would use a plastic 5 gallon bucket with an old desk fan motor and break off all blades except one, and shorten that blade and tape some heavy washers to it. I bet a google search could bring up some plans too.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947