RWS 350 Magnum, 0.22 cal with assorted pellets

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
karandheer78
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

RWS 350 Magnum, 0.22 cal with assorted pellets

Post by karandheer78 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi…firstly a big thank you to Abhijeet & Shahid for guiding me through the myriad procedures of carrying imported 0.22 cal pellets from Dubai. The entire jamboree went without a hitch & here I am with the following brands, all picked from Al Sayad, Dubai.

1. Gamo hunter (rounded) 1 tin
2. Gamo pro magnum penetrator 3 tins
3. H&N Diabolo (waisted pointed) 4 tins

Kept the number well below 2000 & also kept in mind the weight factor (these tins weighed 1.5 Kgs!). Now since I had them, the immediate thing that came to mind was to test them out & share the findings with you’ll guys. As an amateur, I bifurcated the parameters in 3 categories, viz: aesthetics, performance & price. Since I was at it, I also included G Smith high speed & high split pellets for the testing.

Testing points: 5 pellets of each variety interspersed by a 1 minute break - round 1. After round 1, a break of 30 minutes & then 10 pellets of each variety interspersed by a 1 minute break. All targeting at a distance of 10 mtrs.

Aesthetic value

1.The Gamo pro magnum penetrator is a lovely looking pellet. Superb finish, brilliant shine & well cut. Fit very well in my gun.
2.G Smith high speed & high split. Very nice looking, bigger than other pellets & good finish. High speed fits a tad better than high split.
3.H&N Diabolo a shade lower than G Smith. Fits very well in my gun.
4.Gamo hunter, miserable looking. I guess the Al Sayad guys gave me an old box coz the pellets were all oxidized. :( One of the many pitfalls of getting the “phoren” brand, especially when you are personally not there to check it. Loose fit as well.

Performance

Gamo pro magnum penetrator gave the best grouping followed closely by the H&N Diabolo & G Smith high speed. Gamo hunter gave good groupings in round 2 but the G Smith high split were miserable in both rounds. I guess with a gun like RWS 350 Magnum, the aerodynamics of the hollow points get all splayed.

Price

1.Gamo pro magnum penetrator: 15 dirhams for a tin of 250
2.Gamo hunter (rounded): 15 dirhams for a tin of 200
3.H&N Diabolo (waisted pointed): 25 dirhams for a tin of 200.
4.G Smith high speed: 140 for a tin of 200
5.G Smith high split: 140 for a tin of 200

Conclusion: Considering the price difference, G Smith does a fair job. Throw in it’s local availability & that makes the pellets a good value buy. Of the others, I wouldn’t mind getting the Gamo pro magnum penetrator & H & N Diabolo (waisted pointed) once again, just to stock them up. The heaviest pellet viz: Beeman Kodiak Extra heavy still eludes me & I would surely like to test them in my gun.

Cheers!!