Scope talk

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Scope talk

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:10 pm

I`ve been working my nuts off the last week or so engaged in a big scope research project and fell asleep in front of the PC when looking up some data.............
Dodger, a Mamba 3-12x44 RIR with a 4A right ? Wow, were you ever on-the-ball - the dogs doodahs !
Will get back to you in a week or so re the project results but another piece of kit that has really impressed me is the Falcon Menace 1.5x5x30 S.I.R. Very limited application but I`ve got to have one......will be my running Boar scope.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Grumpy,

The one I intend getting, if the additional rifle licence comes through, is the 1.5-6x42 RIR with an illuminated dot German 4A reticle. This is my all time favourite reticle, though I have never had one with an illuminated dot.

Gary and Sammie are straight up people and you wont have any problem dealing with them.

I have heard of the Falcon range of scopes but did not really pay much attention to them. Will look them up. Thanks.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: New addition to the family

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:11 pm

!!!
I have a Mamba 1.5-6x42 RIR here as we speak. Unbelievable value for money and I will be getting one for my 30-06.

Illuminated centre dots are my absolute favourite as you know - I first came across them on the Deben Night-Eye Dot IR and have liked them ever since. I have a illuminated centre cross on my Richter 3-9x50 and, whilst it is the best alternative, I prefer the centre dot.

Do you want to start a new thread - `Scope talk` or something - starting with my comment on the bottom of my last response to Naren ?

I haven`t handled the Menace 1.5-5x30 S.I.S. but am going to get one based on the spec and Falcons reputation :
http://www.falconoptics.com/menace1.5-5x30.php
It`s definitely a weird one and I have no idea what its intended application is but I know what I shall be using it for.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Grumpy";p="38933 wrote:Do you want to start a new thread - `Scope talk` or something - starting with my comment on the bottom of my last response to Naren?
Done... :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Scope talk

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks Abhijeet.

The MTC Vipers and Mambas are Japanese built to MTCs specifications and offer exceptional performance and value for money. The basic difference between the two ranges is that the Vipers have tall turrets and are intended primarily for target/tactical use ( as I see it ) whilst the Mambas use low turrets ( very low in fact ) and are more geared towards hunting use. Both use the same quality of optics.
http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/

The Falcons use Japanes optics in Chinese made hardware and are assembled in the UK. Again, the performance and value for money are remarkable.

Both MTC and Falcon Optics are British companies.

Another range of scopes that have impressed me are the Konus Pro`s. Konus are an Italian company who have their rifle scopes built in China......but they are amongst the best Chinese built scopes that I`ve seen - especially for the prices.
http://www.konus.com/prodotti.php?id_c=9
Scroll down the page to see the individual scopes listed in the left-hand-side menu.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks, Abhijeet.

Grumpy, when you have the time, I would be very interested in reading what you have to say about all aspects of the Mamba 1.5-6x42. Pros and especially the cons, if any. Ditto for the Falcon, though in all probablity I would be plonking for the Mamba.

If value for money is a very important criteria for your client, I would suggest having a look at the MTC Cobras as well. The lenses aren't fully multi-coated but G & S decided to opt for reasonably top end glass for the lenses.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:09 pm

The Mamba 1.5-6x42 cons are very few......you just have to remember that it isn`t an £8-900 German made scope.
I will be commenting on all the scopes that have impressed me when the project is finished in a few days.
The Konus Pros have fully coated optics and glass etched reticles - very impressive for the price.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:18 pm

Look forward to it.